PDA

View Full Version : living room fire place

lindas lot
04-03-2009, 05:18 PM
:) hello i love this site:) I am waiting for my pre reg visit and in my living room we have a gas fire which is not been connected up yet!i dont want to register the room as i want one room for best lol i have a wooden dolls house which i can sit on the hearth and covers the whole fire.can i get away with this? many thanks

avril
04-03-2009, 08:03 PM
Risk assess it as to how the children will not come to any harm if you don't have a fire guard. That way you have covered your own back and it shows you have thought about it.

sarah707
04-03-2009, 08:43 PM
Sorry you can't hide a fire with a doll's house!

It depends on what the inspector perceives as the risk but I know a childminder who had to either have the fire disconnected or use a guard to make her inspector happy (the post is on here somewhere).

Like Avril says risk assessing is the way to go first of all.

Don't forget pre-reg is about asking questions like this, the inspector is coming to help you not to catch you out :D

manjay
04-03-2009, 08:46 PM
:) hello i love this site:) I am waiting for my pre reg visit and in my living room we have a gas fire which is not been connected up yet!i dont want to register the room as i want one room for best lol i have a wooden dolls house which i can sit on the hearth and covers the whole fire.can i get away with this? many thanks

I'm confused! Are you saying you don't actually want to register the room that the fire is in?

lindas lot
04-03-2009, 11:33 PM
yes dont want to register the room,but as its not locked they could wander in?fire not connected up.i know it wont hide the fireplace but it detracts from seeing it !thanks anyway finding all this really hard work as i love my house and having had two boys here i know its a safe house to live in !

huggableshelly
05-03-2009, 07:07 AM
unfortunatly what we class as safe for our own children isnt always safe for others.

You really need something there and keep your lounge door closed at all times whilst minding maybe look at moving the handle so it is higher up preventing access to children.

miffy
05-03-2009, 08:10 AM
If you don't register the room the mindees should not be in there.

I'd talk to the inspector about it when she comes and be guided by what she says.

Miffy xx

misst104
05-03-2009, 08:38 AM
I thought that if you are not registering the room you didn't need to put up a fireguard. The children are not going to be in there and its not connected anyway. Seems complete nonsense to have to get a guard for it imo. I agree with Miffy, I would wait until inspector comes and take advice. I spoke to my inspector (i've got pre-reg visit on Mon) and she said that we are not expected to have everything in place, even in areas the children will be using , at pre-reg as long as we can identify risks and have solutions to problems.

Hope you can keave it uncovered especially if you want it for your own pleasure (not great with a fireguard there!!!)

x

lindas lot
05-03-2009, 12:19 PM
mant thanks i will hang on and ask them:)

Helen79
07-03-2009, 09:12 AM
I wouldn't put a fire guard up if they're not going to be using the room. Maybe put a bolt at the top of the door to stop them getting in.

We've just taken our fireplace out, we never used the fire & I was sick of having a fireguard, our lounge isn't big so it took up lots of room. It's much safer now.