PDA

View Full Version : Grrr

cuffleygirl
04-03-2009, 05:09 PM
I have a parent who is always late despite being charged a huge amount for it. It makes it very difficult to plan tea or family life. Have looked after the mindee for 6 years and is part of the family don't wish to lose him.

She is due at 4.30 and can turn up anytime from then until about 6pm no acknowledgment or apology come into the house which disrupts tea etc.

She turned up early last week, before I had returned from the park, she was narky, apparently she had an appointment and was going to late, I would have left earlier if I had know that. I can't start tea as it seems unfair to eat infront of this mindee but...
If I go down this road she will wait until he's finished or complain that she was going to do something special at home - I can't win!

So I have to be available for about 2 hours in case she is early or late and I have to mind read her plans for tea :angry:

But what makes it worthwhile is the happy confident boy her son has become over the years! and my relationship with the parents of the other mindees its just her which means its not me!:)

Sorry had to get it off my chest - feel better now:) :) :)

venus89
04-03-2009, 05:13 PM
I wish I had a solution for you - how awful. I have one who is always 10-30 minutes late but that really takes the biscuit. Hope the situation improves xx

Mollymop
04-03-2009, 05:15 PM
I don't blame you for being cross. I would have a word with her and say you are not working past 4.30 anymore. Ask her to let you know if she is going to be picking up early from now on

I had this once in the summer when I looked after siblings, mum asked me to have one of them later one day, which I agreed too, then after that she would send me txt messages to say she was going to be an hour late, etc. I put up with it for 2 days then I told her I wasn't prepared to have her longer than contracted hours anymore.
She came to pick up fine after that.

Don't let the parents decide how long you work, it's your business, you set the hours.

Good luck

emler
04-03-2009, 05:58 PM
I agree with Mollymop. Ten minutes late is one thing but an hour an a half :eek: Why should your family time be put on hold until this parent collects. I would definately have a word with mum & tell her that you can not work beyond the contracted hours anymore.

helenlc
04-03-2009, 06:00 PM
I looked after a friends child and I think she felt that she could take the mickey as we were friends.

I never ended up charging her my extortionate late fee as she was a friend and I think she realised this.

I would say that you are no longer prepared to work past a said time and stick to it. Say that if she is late, you will go through your uncollected child procedure which is to get in touch with emergency contacts. I am sure they will soon let her know that they dont appreciate keep being contacted.

sparkibobs
04-03-2009, 06:03 PM
Think I'd consider a contract renewal. Like the others say, 10 mins is ok but that's ridiculous and really taking the :censored:
Good luck with whatever you decide
x

Daftbat
04-03-2009, 06:08 PM
Does the parent by any chance work for the NHS? The reason i ask is that i have a parent who can end up picking up anytime from 5-7pm it just depends on what has happened at work as she works in theatre. I am fine about it as i was put clearly in the picture before we started the contract but wondered if your parent has just not been clear with you. I think some people expect you to be mind readers:rolleyes:

wendywu
04-03-2009, 06:11 PM
Just phone the emergency phone numbers, they will soon get fed up with that.:panic:

Alibali
04-03-2009, 06:11 PM
I know how you feel, I have one who picks up any time from 3.30 t0 6pm (contracted 4pm) I don't mind working the extra hours as they pay a full day, it is just so difficult to plan things. I have told them that in the good weather we will be out and about and they will have to contact me on my mobile and come and collect child from where I am!

They have accepted this fairly well.

huggableshelly
04-03-2009, 07:02 PM
I have it written in my contract that if parents are going to be late they must call, if latenss reaches 30 mins I'll start calling emergency contacts if the child is still in my care for an hour past the agreed pickup time I'll be calling social services. It made one parent be more cutious she was awful, now she is 10 mins late at times which I can handle but its not fair on the children especially those who can tell the itme.