PDA

View Full Version : Variation Refused

singlewiththree
04-03-2009, 04:15 PM
I just had a phone call to say that my variation request for 4 under 5 for only 4 hrs term time only until Sept has been declined. I'm pretty annoyed really as I had finally decided to say yes to this woman who wanted mon-fri 9-1 term time but I told her I had to ask ofsted. Its because on a Thurs I have a boy 9.30-1.30 who I morally can't turn away as its my bf cousins child and there is no-one else who can have him and who she would trust.

Lick'le Oakes
04-03-2009, 04:20 PM
Sorry for this you must be disappointed:(

singlewiththree
04-03-2009, 04:25 PM
I'm gutted really as financially i'm struggling however I can see their point, I haven't had my first inspection yet and only been registered since Dec, even though I have childcare experience and its only 4 hrs a week. I don't feel I can appeal as she needs to start next Thurs. I just feel sorry for the mum.

Wendy Woo
04-03-2009, 04:30 PM
Sorry bout ur news x

Mollymop
04-03-2009, 05:02 PM
That's a shame. Sorry to hear that

Princess Sara
04-03-2009, 05:32 PM
Aww I'm sorry to hear that. Do they give a reason or just straight out say no? It's for such a short amount of time too. Hope things improve for you.

cuffleygirl
04-03-2009, 05:36 PM
Hi
I was searching the forum about variations over the last couple of days as I need to put in a request and was asking the latest protocol. I'm sure one lady recently stated she was initially refused and then went up the ladder asking to speak to a manager or whatever at ofsted and they agreed the variation. Look it up and see what you think. If you can 'justify' and reassure that you have the right equipment and will take it in your stride what have you got to lose?

izzywoo
04-03-2009, 05:45 PM
Can I be really cheeky and ask if the variation was for continuity of care or if it was for a new child?

Mouse
04-03-2009, 05:47 PM
That is a shame, though I thought variation was only to enable you to look after existing children (ie. if their hours changed) or to take on another child from the same family (ie. a new baby).
I didn't think they allowed variation for taking on a new child.

Mouse
x

emler
04-03-2009, 05:50 PM
That is a shame - but you did your best for the parent by requesting a variation

helenlc
04-03-2009, 05:56 PM
I was also under the impression that a variation is really to provide continuity of care and not to fit in a new child.

Sorry to hear though. Seems a shame for just a few hours.

singlewiththree
04-03-2009, 06:24 PM
Can I be really cheeky and ask if the variation was for continuity of care or if it was for a new child?

It was for a new child but I suppose it depends how you look at it, you could say to them if you don't say yes then I have to say goodbye to the thurs only child which would make it continuity of care wouldn't it ;)

Blaze
04-03-2009, 06:25 PM
I'm gutted really as financially i'm struggling however I can see their point, I haven't had my first inspection yet and only been registered since Dec, even though I have childcare experience and its only 4 hrs a week. I don't feel I can appeal as she needs to start next Thurs. I just feel sorry for the mum.

I would appeal! it's in reality only for a few days once you take the holiday time into account...I had a variation within a month of being registered for 4 under 5's!

peanuts
04-03-2009, 06:43 PM
sorry to hear that:(

marion123
04-03-2009, 07:08 PM
sorry to hear that i would appeal you have got nothing to lose

nikim
04-03-2009, 08:01 PM
it might be worth seeing if mum can make alternative arrangements for thurs and you still have him the rest of the week , then give it six months say ,and ask again for a variation it would then be continuity of care it would also give you time to get to know the child he may end up being a handful and you may regret having 4 under 5 , i did it once and had a variation until one went to schhol full time for just 1 term 1 day a week for 1 hour and it was hard work !!

Carol
04-03-2009, 08:22 PM
Sorry you have had your variation refused xx

Carol

carolinel
04-03-2009, 08:56 PM
Hi
I was searching the forum about variations over the last couple of days as I need to put in a request and was asking the latest protocol. I'm sure one lady recently stated she was initially refused and then went up the ladder asking to speak to a manager or whatever at ofsted and they agreed the variation. Look it up and see what you think. If you can 'justify' and reassure that you have the right equipment and will take it in your stride what have you got to lose?

That was me!!!

I was initially refused as they didn't class it continuity of care, I disagreed because in a round about way it was. His existing childminder and i used to work very closely together (she's giving up) so the little boy was very familiar with me, my children and my house. I went higher up and told them I wasn't happy with their decision and my reasons. after 30 mins of pleading my case she granted the variation.

It's worth a go - you've nothing to lose!

jeanybeany
04-03-2009, 09:00 PM
I too had a variation refused some time ago and the ofsted lady told me that they never allow you to go over your numbers. I was shocked as another cm had told me to ask for it as she always got her variation requests. In the end the other person didn't want the place, so it all worked out well in the end.

jibberjitz
04-03-2009, 09:20 PM
Thats a shame for you :(