PDA

View Full Version : insect bites and stings

Donkey
04-03-2009, 01:37 PM
do you have anything in your first aid kit to relieve the pain from bites and stings?

if you do what??

Shar
04-03-2009, 01:43 PM
I find that a baby wipe helps soothe the sting but other than that water is all we are allowed to use without prior permission.
For my own kids I use vinegar, it works!!:thumbsup:

sarah707
04-03-2009, 01:43 PM
No we are not allowed to keep lotions or potions in our kits - they are not classed as first aid, they are medications.

For mindees you can just use cool water for the swelling and ring parents to come and collect if they are distressed.

The first aid guy told us if it was a sting we could flick it out with a credit card but it's not something I've ever tried.

For my own children I use non drowsy anti allergy medication and hydrocortisone cream.

huggableshelly
04-03-2009, 01:44 PM
I have piriton which I can give with parental permission

also I use a damp cold flannel to help cool the pain

miffy
04-03-2009, 01:45 PM
No nothing in my kit

Our first aid trainer told us NOT to try and remove a sting!

Miffy xx

peanuts
04-03-2009, 01:46 PM
i have some kind of spray for stings

sarah707
04-03-2009, 01:47 PM
i have some kind of spray for stings

Are the rules different in Scotland Karen?

We were specifically told we're not allowed to use anything without prior written permission from parents and certainly not to keep anything in our first aid kits.

huggableshelly
04-03-2009, 01:56 PM
just to add the piriton I keep is bottles provided by parents and kept in my medication cuboard not my first aid kit.

Donkey
04-03-2009, 01:57 PM
i currently dont have anything in my first aid kit to treat, I was reading the bupa site which listed all sorts.

for the answer for my nvq I said cold compress :clapping:

so this is all I will use too

PixiePetal
04-03-2009, 05:18 PM
Not for mindees. would put cold water on and ring parent if inconsolable or bad reaction and write up in book.

Have Piriton and wasp-eze for DD as she has bad reaction to mosi bites, they look like chicken pox blisters and itch like crazy. :(

Alibali
04-03-2009, 08:30 PM
Are the rules different in Scotland Karen?

We were specifically told we're not allowed to use anything without prior written permission from parents and certainly not to keep anything in our first aid kits.

No, the rules in Scotland are the same, nothing is to be administered without written parental consent. No medicines or ointments in first aid kit.

tulip0803
04-03-2009, 08:54 PM
Nothing at all.