PDA

View Full Version : Environmental Health

Bex1
04-03-2009, 11:07 AM
Hello
I have sent my forms off to Environmental Health today and when I looked it said that I cannot serve food unless I have been registered for 28 days! I have a child starting end of month...now I dont know what to do as I didnt realise there was a restriction! I think I may email them to say I have a child starting and see what they say! Do Environmental Health do an inspection?

Becky

FizzysFriends
04-03-2009, 11:09 AM
If you have an inspection will depend on who your LA is.

I haven't had my inspecation yet but Im still serving food!

Bex1
04-03-2009, 11:11 AM
ok, well I will email them and explain situation! I was not aware that I was not allowed to serve food within 28 days :( I cook food for my family and they are all ok so i must be doing something right!

FizzysFriends
04-03-2009, 11:13 AM
ok, well I will email them and explain situation! I was not aware that I was not allowed to serve food within 28 days :( I cook food for my family and they are all ok so i must be doing something right!

The forms are designed for restaurants/take away etc so they aren't allowed to open until after 28 days.

essexgirl1967
04-03-2009, 12:20 PM
I don't know wherabouts you are ( I'm in Essex) but it does depend upon your local authority. I've been childminding 11 years and have only recently had an Environmental Health inspection. i do know of a new childminder who was told she couldn't provide food until she'd done her food hygiene course.

I do provide food and had a much more detailed inspection than my childminder friend whose mindees mums provide packed lunches. I had to do a food hygiene course whereas she hasn't. I had my cooker, grill pan, chopping board inspected whereas she didn't. We both had fridges inspected and had to show that we keep daily records of cleaning rotas etc.

The lady was lovely, and explained that 99% of it all is aimed at restaurants etc but we do still have to comply with rules etc. There is a pack you can request from the Food Standards agency that I got before she visited, and this explains exactly what you should be doing every day x

Daftbat
04-03-2009, 12:34 PM
This is another of those :censored: :censored: areas which as you can see get my goat!

Why don't all authorities do it the same? I went on a food hygiene course in January after having minded for nine years and was told to advise my local authority that i am a cm and to register. Well, i phoned and spoke to a really nice man who had to chat to someone else and get back to me. Apparently in Derbyshire they don't even require you to let them know at present, they are currently trying to evaluate the legislation and from what he said i wouldn't be surprised if they don't ever bother here.

I can't see how anyone can get in to troublw eith the authorites who are supposedly following legislation when everyone is singing from different hymn books:angry:

Bex1
04-03-2009, 12:38 PM
Do I need to go on a food hygiene course? I am on a food awareness course run by local chilminding association but havent been on food hygiene!

Becky

Daftbat
04-03-2009, 12:43 PM
A food hygiene course is not compulsory - i managed fine before, its quite interesting though and i got a couple of freebies from it.

Bex1
04-03-2009, 12:45 PM
phew...I am panicking at the moment as just dont feel mentally prepared for the kiddies that are about to start with me :panic: :panic: I am booked on a food awareness course on 21st but to be honest no parent has asked me about food hygiene!

debbiedaycare
17-03-2009, 09:49 AM
This is another of those :censored: :censored: areas which as you can see get my goat!

Why don't all authorities do it the same? I went on a food hygiene course in January after having minded for nine years and was told to advise my local authority that i am a cm and to register. Well, i phoned and spoke to a really nice man who had to chat to someone else and get back to me. Apparently in Derbyshire they don't even require you to let them know at present, they are currently trying to evaluate the legislation and from what he said i wouldn't be surprised if they don't ever bother here.

I can't see how anyone can get in to troublw eith the authorites who are supposedly following legislation when everyone is singing from different hymn books:angry:

Apparently this has just changed in Derbyshire on 28th Feb 2009. All childminders need to be registered with LA (Derbyshire Dales in my case) and Inspected by Environmental Health. Rang my Early Years Officer in a panic when thay rang and she did not know about it. She has rung around and it looks like I am the first in our area - lucky me!