PDA

View Full Version : How understanding and flexible should I be if parent is looking for a job?

essexgirl1967
04-03-2009, 09:43 AM
Hi!

I currently have 3 children from one family who's mum is at university. They signed up last July, with a contract review due in July 2009.

For some reason yesterday, the phone didn't stop ringing with enquiries for childcare, particularly for children due to start at my local school in September. Haven't got any places available at present so thought I'd ask all current parents when they picked up last night, what their plans are, whether they would still be needing a place in September etc.

Turns out this mum's university course ends in July, and she thinks she will still need me IF she gets a job. She then asked if she got NHS agency work on a temp basis would I be happy to have her 3 on an 'as and when' basis. I explained that there is no way that I can keep 3 places open ( only 1 of her children is under 8), just in case she needs me, and she seemed a bit put out.

I said that if she hasn't secured a job by June I will have to take on another child/children. I don't think filling the places will be a problem as I live next door to a very popular school, no other childminders locally have vacancies, and the after school club is just about to close.

However, I know people will start to look for childcare for September soon, and don't want to turn down potential work whilst this mum tries to get a job. Am I being fair to her in your opinion? I have to add that she is not the most organised person in the world, and nothing ever happens quite the way she seems to think it will! She seems to think employers will jump at emlpoying her, and that a job will just miraculously appear as soon as she needs one.

I only look after school aged children, most of which are fairly small amounts of hours, and therefore money, so need to fill all my places to make it financially worthwhile.

Am glad I spoke to all of the parents last night as it turns out 6 of the children I currently care for will be going on to other schools, or parents contracts are ending this summer in total ( none of which I knew about).

I will need to take on some others to replace them if poss. Have always been very flexible re term time only contracts if neccessary, but am now looking at charging a higher hourly rate, and maybe a school holiday retainer fee as think I need to get more businesslike.

I have to work very hard ( as we all do) just to make enough money to live on, as I think I am currently too soft on parents, too flexible and understanding of their problems etc, and really need to toughen up a bit.

All advice will be very welcome as I'm finding childminding very unrewarding at the mo, re my other post about mindee stealing from me x

huggableshelly
04-03-2009, 10:36 AM
If she goes on agency work and wants to keep you for her children then she must still pay a full weekly fee regardless of if she needs you every day or not! this will make her think about agency or fulltime work and might just kick her into one direction instead or several.

if she cant give you an answer for definate then dont sit back, think of yourslef and your finance, if there is work there for you that is going to be more reliable then take it. Dont be a dogs body to anyone (been there still am grr at me)

Good for you asking parents upfront for their plans for september, atleast you know exactly where you stand and what other spaces you can offer.

Chatterbox Childcare
04-03-2009, 11:30 AM
Sorry just scan read your email. I would take on someone else and if mum wants you go for the overlap on continuity of care basis.

Daftbat
04-03-2009, 12:28 PM
I think you are being very reasonable in what you have said to the mum at Uni. Its all very well her saying she THINKS she would need you IF she gets a job but life can't run like that for you. You have a business to run and the plain fact is that when she finishes her course she can't expect you to continue to hold places for her without paying you. She will have to hope that you have room , if and when she finds the job.

You are being fair stating your case this far in advance and from what you have said about your husbands situation you need to ensure your family are supported. Its up to you but i would continue with what you have said and give a deadline by which you will accept other work unless she is willing to pay you to keep places open.

Hope you work it out.

geraldine72
04-03-2009, 01:04 PM
i think you've got to do what' s best for you and your family i think most of us childminders panic too much about letting other people down. and as somebody else said you could always go for a variation on continuity of care if it comes to it :)