PDA

View Full Version : 13mth old arrives with no coat.....

Lady Haha
03-03-2009, 10:46 PM
I have a dilemma! One of my mindees is 13 months old and I have looked after him since he was 6 months. He started last summer. When it started getting chillier out, and he was still arriving without a coat, I politely asked mum if she could bring a coat for him next time. I felt terrible at the time, like I was accusing her of neglect or something! Well, he has been coming ever since then in a little fleecy jacket, the kind that newborns wear, if you know what I mean. Not really adequate, but said nothing.

Well today, he turns up with nothing but his little hat! He had a fleecy top on and tshirt under, but that was all! Now she knows I take the other kids to school and he goes in the pushchair and that I take him out during the day, so surely common sense would tell her to bring him in a coat! I dont have anything he could wear as my own son is six! I have been wrapping him in his blanket up to the neck! I also worry that people might think it's me not looking after him properly and they all know I'm a childminder!

Anyway, I know I have to say something, but how do I put it without making her feel like a useless mum? She is brilliant with everythign else! Loads of nappies, wipes etc in bag.

Any advice?

Hebs
03-03-2009, 10:55 PM
Id be blunt and tell her,

My mindee used to turn up in a tshirt until I asked mum to put something warmer on him cos it gets chilly in playgroup

X

wendywu
03-03-2009, 11:30 PM
:panic: Tell her that he needs a coat, you are going to have to be blunt.

rickysmiths
04-03-2009, 12:14 AM
You have got to tell her. How on earth did you manage last month:eek:

sonia ann
04-03-2009, 06:47 AM
I have had parents like this .One dad in particular is very forgetful:rolleyes: I now have 2-3 spare coats that have been given to me by friends or bought at charity shops, the same with hats ,gloves, scarves etc. My big problem is unsuitable shoes--3yr old wears pink ballet style shoes whatever the weather:( I do have spare wellies but these are not always suitable either
Soniaxx

SimplyLucy
04-03-2009, 07:12 AM
Why don't you ask her if he has a spare coat that she doesn't mind leaving at yours, that way it's one less thing for her to remember.

Blame it on the ever changing weather!

peanuts
04-03-2009, 07:13 AM
maybe put a coat on that is not really suitable and take a photo of you ouside in the garden. this should twig with the parent that they need to supply a coat, if you dont want to be blunt or write in newsletter about it.

Mollymop
04-03-2009, 07:17 AM
Just tell her he needs a coat because it is very chilling on the school runs in the morning.

angeldelight
04-03-2009, 07:28 AM
I bet the parent is wrapped up warm ?

Do they arrive by car ? A lot of parents seem to forget when they are in the car have you noticed ?

I would just say " Oh have you got his coat is it in the car? I am going to need it for the school run because he shivers with out it "

Be blunt its gone really cold again and the little one needs a coat

Good luck let us know what she says

Angel xx

LittleStars
04-03-2009, 07:47 AM
Ohhh don't get me started on this one....

I went to a carboot and bought 3 coats for 3 different mindees in the end......now they all have a coat :-)

I asked SO many times.......and never did get them!!

sarah32
04-03-2009, 08:12 AM
Thankfully all my mindee's have always come with coats but i do have spairs kept from when mine where smaller.

You never know.:D

breezy
04-03-2009, 08:23 AM
I have one like this cos she seems to go everywhere by car, luckily friend gave me spares, but i think you will have to say something or keep a spare or both.

charlie28
04-03-2009, 08:37 AM
I have spare coats as i have a 3 year old that comes without coats etc. He didnt come with shoes on yesterday. We walk everywhere as well.

Bushpig
04-03-2009, 09:13 AM
I don't have spare coats etc. as I don't have the space, have enough clutter at home with kids stuff as it is (and we don't have kids), and am firm with parents that they need to ensure their kids are dressed properly. It happened once.. and mum asked 'how was toddler group?'.. and I said 'we couldn't go because I didn't have xyz for little y'... and she has never done that again...

Generally the parents are good about this thankfully.

I am afraid some people need it spelt out to them...

katickles
04-03-2009, 09:58 AM
I would just ask her to bring his coat. My baby mindee was coming with huge coats but no hats or anything & on the school run it was freezing! My dd & other mindee's had hats on but hten the baby didn't so i just said to mum that if she could pack a hat as I didn't want the lo catching cold on the school run.

http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/28/2824/282407.png (http://www.bump-and-beyond.com/)

helenlc
04-03-2009, 10:18 AM
I used to have a LO come by car and would be inappropriately dressed for the school run. I did ask Mum on numerous occassions but it never went in. The amount of times I had to take her to school swamped in my daughters raincoat cos it was the only thing I had to hand.

On Monday, my 3 yr old mindee came with just a hooded sweatshirt and body warmer Luckily it wasnt raining but he made me cold looking at him. I have a spare fleece jacket that I put on him for the afternoon school run. He came with his big coat yesterday though, thank God.

Lady Haha
04-03-2009, 01:11 PM
Thanks for the replies. I loved the idea of taking photos of him in a really unsuitable coat, like a really big one or something lol! I did think of buying him one yesterday, but thought, why should I???!!!

You're all right of course, there is no soft touch solution, I am just gonna have to tell her.........by text.:laughing:

I have had other mindees turning up not properly dressed, like the ballet type shoes and no socks in winter.......it really does defy all logic doesn't it!

And yes! Mum is always in her coat when she drops him off! I know some parents don't think of it cos they drive everywhere, but I do alot of driving too and all kids are in their coats in the car too!!!

geraldine72
04-03-2009, 01:42 PM
i also ask for spare coats and wellies to be kept at mine as i had same problem. sometimes this works and sometimes they still don't bring and again i go down the charity shop to find something.:)