PDA

View Full Version : Advice from the experts please

uf353432
03-03-2009, 09:23 PM
I am not yet registered, but I know that I could mind a child preregistered for max 2 hours a day.

There is a mum who recently moved into the village who needs part time care for her 2 year old until Sept, mornings only and suspect a couple of hours would be fine. He is currently in a nursery out of the village so she collects from the same preschool and then races up to the nursery to collect her youngest. There is no other child care in the village. The little boy is lovely and she is REALLY nice.

However when I am registered presuming I continue caring for this little boy until Sept when he can then attend preschool, he will take up my only under 5 space available, which means I could only offer part time hours to make up the income this place could earn.

I want to maximise the 2 hour slot and would look to charge it at a slightly higher hourly rate - she would be term time only as well. With 0 experience of running a setting, dealing with parents on a contractual/money basis, I just want to explore it with people with more experience - understand the pitfalls - etc before I sign myself up for something that could become a bit of a thorn.

My husbands work has announced yet more redundancies and if you keep your job you loose 10% of income - so whilst my reasons for going into CM were not born out of earning loads of money - I need to be mindful that I will now have to bring in an income to cover this 10% shortfall.

Any help, advice etc gratefully received.

Debs

cheeky monkeys
03-03-2009, 09:31 PM
I have children at preschool, who would otherwise be full time. I charge a full days money. Reason being, as happend today, I was called out to collect him from pre school. No he's not Ill, just under the weather. But it happens.
I also have teachers children, term time only and charge half fee during school holidays to keep their space open for the next term.

Hope this helps.

uf353432
03-03-2009, 09:43 PM
this little boy wouldn't be attending preschool until Sept. She currently collects her oldest who does, then collects this little lad from the nursery. I would be replacing the nursery care until he is old enough to attend preschool.

sarah707
03-03-2009, 10:10 PM
Be very careful about taking on a child even for less than 2 hours a day if you are working from your house and accepting money.

While it is not technically illegal Ofsted (I understand) are not keen.

Could you do it from the child's house as a nanny?

uf353432
03-03-2009, 10:46 PM
not really i have 2 of my own, why frowned upon?

i would be doing it as professionally as I would with certificate?

uf353432
03-03-2009, 11:15 PM
not really i have 2 of my own, why frowned upon?

i would be doing it as professionally as I would with certificate?

uf353432
04-03-2009, 10:42 AM
any one else?

please?

huggableshelly
04-03-2009, 10:47 AM
I childmind for a little one 2 hours a wk one day a week.

Ofsted stated I do not need a contract as its less than the 2 hours once a wk but to have child contact details in place. If I were to have him 2 days a wk at 2 hours at a time I must have a full contract and follow the EYFS.

2 hours a wk as a helping hand with no money for care is fine, you are charging? so you must do it properly personally I wouldnt do it without my ofsted certificate unless you are offering free childcare.

uf353432
04-03-2009, 11:15 AM
but assuming you were babysitting for someone other than a friend - you wouldn't do that for free?

Chatterbox Childcare
04-03-2009, 11:23 AM
I would not do it as childminding but would offer to babysit for mum.

Anything under 2 hours does not come under Ofsted regulation.

However, once you take on other children it becomes a sticky siutation and like Sarah says I would check with Ofsted and this could be your way out should you decide not to keep the child and take on a full timer.

I would be truthful with mum and explain that you are happy to be a babysitter for her and help out until your registration comes through and you get more children (this might take a while and a small amount of money is better than none).

FizzysFriends
04-03-2009, 11:54 AM
but assuming you were babysitting for someone other than a friend - you wouldn't do that for free?

Babysitting takes place in the childs home, which is allowed.

Blaze
04-03-2009, 12:04 PM
Personally if i was in your shoes I would do it free of charge untill you have your certificate , then do a contract... I would do this because you need to consider the position you would be in if there was an accident etc...you would not be insured...basically it's a minefield. If you are not receiving anykind of reward for caring for the LO, it changes the position. It is common place to charge for a full morning if you have the child before/after nursary/pre-school, as we are so limited on numbers.
Hth:)

uf353432
04-03-2009, 12:43 PM
ok - gotcha - yes thats the sort of gen I was looking for hadn't considered the insurance/accident route.

Perhaps I should consider doing bookable sessions and charge hourly within those sessions....

thanks very thought prevoking...

debs

mandy moo
04-03-2009, 12:46 PM
Before I registered as a childminder, I was looking after my friends little girl 2 times a week for 5 hours a day, and occassionaly when dad was on nights, I used to bring her home to mine, then take her back at 2pm for mum coming home from work, which was fine by them, as dad then could sleep undisturbed.
When I told my pre reg inspector what I did she advised me that I could not look after asomeonelses child for payment for more than 2 hrs a week in my own home.
I belive its all about insurance too, if your not insured, public libility etc
youre not covered for accidents, injurys, etc
this is what I was told not much help Im afarid..

uf353432
04-03-2009, 12:50 PM
and yes dur! of course babysitting takes place in child own home.