will update when i get a reply

:thumbsup:

Spangles
03-03-2009, 06:47 PM
That's a good idea.

x

Chatterbox Childcare
03-03-2009, 06:51 PM
Sorry missed something here. What are you asking Ofsted?

Hebs
03-03-2009, 06:53 PM
i have asked them about taking mindees on full weekly shopping trips :thumbsup:

Mollymop
03-03-2009, 07:17 PM
i have sent an email to Ofsted asking to clarify this situation,

will update when i get a reply

I know what they'll say...

!Do what ever you want as long as you have risk assessed it, bla, bla"

I bet they don't give you a straight "Yes it is fine", or "No it is not", answer:thumbsup:

Thanks Hebs, can't wait to hear what they say

Pudding Girl
03-03-2009, 07:20 PM
Goodness... ANOTHER thread about this...

Asdagate!!!

:laughing:

Spangles
03-03-2009, 07:21 PM
I agree Sandra!

I reckon it will be just do what you want as long as you can justify it and back it up with copious amounts of paperwork and photos! Ha ha!

Hebs
03-03-2009, 07:22 PM
can you imagine the looks we'd get if we started taking millions of photos of the kids while in asda :laughing:

Alibali
03-03-2009, 07:23 PM
can you imagine the looks we'd get if we started taking millions of photos of the kids while in asda :laughing:

:blush: :blush: I have to admit to taking some pics of lo's choosing fruit and toys:blush: How sad am I!

Pudding Girl
03-03-2009, 07:25 PM

I take millions of photos anyway, I have done in public before and will do again, who cares what everyone else thinks? It's nice to have photos of things like this, being out in the community - I just make sure nobody else is in shot :)

Hebs
:blush: :blush: I have to admit to taking some pics of lo's choosing fruit and toys:blush: How sad am I!

really??

has anyone ever said anything??

Spangles
'Come on xxxxx, point at the apples and smile!'

'Can you hold 3 items that are yellow - and smile!'

'Can you hand the money over to the person on the till - and smile'

'Can you point to the chocolate - and frown?'

Ha ha! Be loads of fun!

Mollymop
03-03-2009, 07:27 PM

I think that's a great Idea!

Hebs
03-03-2009, 07:32 PM

!

awwwww thats torture :laughing:

tinkerbelle
04-03-2009, 07:26 AM

i tried to take pics in tesco and was threatened with prosecution form the assistant manager had to delete them check before taking the pics

Alibali
04-03-2009, 02:05 PM
i tried to take pics in tesco and was threatened with prosecution form the assistant manager had to delete them check before taking the pics

What can they prosecute for? Did they think you were trying to pinch idear or something?

Hebs: No one has ever said anything to me, however I suppose they may have been laughing behind my back! Probably just think I am an overproud Granny or something:)

uf353432
04-03-2009, 02:09 PM
'Come on xxxxx, point at the apples and smile!'

'Can you hold 3 items that are yellow - and smile!'

'Can you hand the money over to the person on the till - and smile'

Ha ha! Be loads of fun!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Hebs
04-03-2009, 05:32 PM
here is the reply :thumbsup:

Dear Miss Smith,

Thank you for your e-mail.

In response to your enquiry I can confirm that in does not state in the EYFS that childminders can not take the children shopping. However it does state that it is essential that children are provided with safe and secure environments in which to interact and explore rich and diverse learning and development opportunities, this may not be achievable while spending time doing a full family shop, however a short trip will provide a good learning experience.

Regards

Graham Asplin
Customer Service Advisor
Ofsted - National Business Unit
TEL: 08456 404040

haribo
04-03-2009, 05:42 PM
as helpful as ever :laughing: :laughing:

Mollymop
04-03-2009, 05:45 PM
What did I tell ya?:rolleyes:

Mollymop
04-03-2009, 05:45 PM
Sorry, thanks Hebs x

sarah707
04-03-2009, 05:49 PM
here is the reply :thumbsup:

Dear Miss Smith,

Thank you for your e-mail.

In response to your enquiry I can confirm that in does not state in the EYFS that childminders can not take the children shopping. However it does state that it is essential that children are provided with safe and secure environments in which to interact and explore rich and diverse learning and development opportunities, this may not be achievable while spending time doing a full family shop, however a short trip will provide a good learning experience.

Regards

<name removed for confidentiality>
Customer Service Advisor
Ofsted - National Business Unit
TEL: 08456 404040

Thank you for confirming that Hebs! :D

LOOPYLISA
04-03-2009, 05:50 PM

emler
04-03-2009, 05:51 PM
well done Hebs

Spangles
04-03-2009, 05:52 PM
Thank you Hebs!

Pauline
04-03-2009, 05:55 PM
However it does state that it is essential that children are provided with safe and secure environments in which to interact and explore rich and diverse learning and development opportunities, this may not be achievable while spending time doing a full family shop, however a short trip will provide a good learning experience.

Like Debbie, I must have missed the earlier discussion!

but what happened to childminding being 'home from home' care?

and you can't get more diverse than seeing a wide variety of fruit and veg which you can look at, talk about and sometimes even taste. Colours and textures to talk about, different people to talk to - old, young.

OK so, if you stick the children in the trolley and run manically round getting stressed, then yes it is not a good idea, but if you can incorporate a learning experience into the event, teach them about how to find what they are looking for, why things are put together in sections, how food is preserved by being frozen.............need I go on :rolleyes:...then we all know that it makes for the most fantastic FREE learning experience ever!

To me shopping is one of the major life skills and the sooner children learn how to shop, and how to behave in a shop, the better it is for parents and children alike.

rant over :rolleyes:

haribo
04-03-2009, 06:13 PM
"THIS MAY NOT BE ACHIEVABLE" i think the operative word here is "MAY" as ofsted know as well as most of us that every experience and activity is only as good as the childminder makes it !

Wendy Woo
04-03-2009, 06:15 PM
:laughing: :laughing: hey guys lovin readin this thread has cheered me up afta a very hetic day!!
So to sum up we can pop in for bread and milk and other small items but no full shop!!!
Ah well back to asda.co.uk it is then

venus89
04-03-2009, 06:16 PM
:laughing: well - turns out we were ALL right! :laughing:

wendywu
04-03-2009, 06:17 PM
It leaves you open to a complaint from anyone who decides to take a pot at you. Be that parent or other minders.

I for one would not even consider the risk :panic:

haribo
04-03-2009, 06:18 PM
he he maybe we should all take a stopwatch with us next time we go shopping or does it depend how many items we have in our trolley ????!! :laughing:

venus89
04-03-2009, 06:20 PM
It leaves you open to a complaint from anyone who decides to take a pot at you. Be that parent or other minders.

I for one would not even consider the risk :panic:

but people who are going to complain will complain anyway - some people will complain you do take the kids shopping, some will complain you don't. I guess the important thing is to be honest with the parents and if they specifically ask you not to go shopping with heir child work with that

uf353432
04-03-2009, 06:40 PM

Is there a time then in the weekly shop that it becomes unsafe and insecure? - do the supermarkets hide bombs in the cereal isle, or trip wires in the home baking section? :laughing:

A very diplomatic non answer really!!! well done Hebs.

I guess though since 'working with parents' is deemed so important. Providing you have the support of the parents its unlikely that they are going to put in a complaint. But then when discussing the idea with a parent, you wouldn't word it that you are going to do your weekly shop and taking the child along for the ride. But that during a weekly shop their child can benefit from a fantastic learning and enriched activity, which in turn benefits the parents as they get kids with great worldly wise outlooks :)

Hebs
04-03-2009, 06:51 PM
had to pester them for a PROPER reply tho

they kept telling me to refer to the EYFS, so i told them i'm well aware of the EYFS guidance but i wanted a yes/or answer :thumbsup:

Pudding Girl
04-03-2009, 07:18 PM
:laughing: well - turns out we were ALL right! :laughing:

Thanks for being another who has realised that point ;)

No-one is right, no-one is wrong, it's not a yes you can, it's open to interpretation and Ofsted haven't said you can't. so there. lol

I don't care I'm not Ofsted but CC and they think like Pauline so excellently put :p

venus89
04-03-2009, 07:50 PM
Thank you George!!

sue
04-03-2009, 08:03 PM
Thanks for being another who has realised that point ;)

No-one is right, no-one is wrong, it's not a yes you can, it's open to interpretation and Ofsted haven't said you can't. so there. lol

I don't care I'm not Ofsted but CC and they think like Pauline so excellently put :p

l agree if we don't take them shopping they may not get the change as my parent do on line shopping always!!!! would never take their kids to do food shop just means another RISK ASSESMENT!!!!!!!!! but when l have taken my lots they love it and thing they get alot out of the experence