PDA

View Full Version : Further to 'should we take mindees shopping'

Alibali
03-03-2009, 06:24 PM
Thought I'd post a quote from the SCMA (scottish childminders association)

Quote:

Childminding Or Centre-Based Care?
Being cared for by a childminder gives youngsters the opportunity to learn from real-life experiences. Everyday activities like shopping trips, school runs, family mealtimes and visits to the park teach children valuable life skills that may not be acquired so readily in centre-based care. These activities also educate children about their local environment and community.

Hebs
03-03-2009, 06:29 PM
yeah but a WEEKLY shop isn't an everyday activity :panic:

still have to disagree with taking mindees on a weekly shop, but can see the importance of popping to the shop to grab some fruit or veg :thumbsup:

Daftbat
03-03-2009, 06:37 PM
I don't take kids on full weekly shopping trip but i have regularly taken them to the supermarket for smaller lists. The children enjoy it but i have always been conscious that they will get bored with the trip and probably cause me more stress. Also - how sad is this - i enjoy going in the evening or at the weekend on my own, it sometimes feels like the only time i can get away from everything, and i like to have a good mooch around which i can never do with hubby or the kids in tow!

Spangles
03-03-2009, 06:49 PM
I agree with Hebs, don't think they are referring to a big, weekly, supermarket shop.

We'll soon see though!

x

cher25
03-03-2009, 06:54 PM
I don't fully agree with taking mindee's on a full shop as they may get bored, also while your trying to gather the things you need 1 of the kids may run off. However i do take mindees to tesco with me a lot. But usually it's cos i havent had time to do the shopping at the weekend and i try to only get what i need for the children and do my shopping when dp finished work(shifts). Went yesterday with my 19 month old mindee, he loved helping put everything in the trolley and pushing it.lol

Chatterbox Childcare
03-03-2009, 07:03 PM
I don't fully agree with taking mindee's on a full shop as they may get bored, also while your trying to gather the things you need 1 of the kids may run off. However i do take mindees to tesco with me a lot. But usually it's cos i havent had time to do the shopping at the weekend and i try to only get what i need for the children and do my shopping when dp finished work(shifts). Went yesterday with my 19 month old mindee, he loved helping put everything in the trolley and pushing it.lol

I am sorry but I think that doing the shopping is a learning experience. In the fruit and veg you can look at different fruit, discuss colour, texture where it comes from etc...

Look outside the box and you will see that it can be used within the EYFS.

Alibali
03-03-2009, 07:05 PM
yeah but a WEEKLY shop isn't an everyday activity :panic:

still have to disagree with taking mindees on a weekly shop, but can see the importance of popping to the shop to grab some fruit or veg :thumbsup:

Just to say, I don't do the weekly shop with them either, just giving you some food for thought:D :D

Mollymop
03-03-2009, 07:05 PM
I don't take my mindees shopping with me, too much hassle.

But I think there is nothing wrong with it at all.

We are only talking about being a supermarket for 30 to 45 mins not all day

LOOPYLISA
03-03-2009, 07:07 PM
I would't take them on a 'full' shop either, hubby does it :laughing: :laughing:

cher25
03-03-2009, 07:10 PM
I am sorry but I think that doing the shopping is a learning experience. In the fruit and veg you can look at different fruit, discuss colour, texture where it comes from etc...

Look outside the box and you will see that it can be used within the EYFS.

I agree with what your saying. I guess im thinking more personally, with mindee's im happy to wander around tesco if they are happy, but if they get bored and tired, then they may have a tendancy to lash out. 1 mindee punched me and kicked me in the stomach because we were taking ages in tesco. I have to say though i was actually unintentially in tesco for 1 hour yesterday, due to 19 month old messing about and wanting to look and help with everything. If he had been upset all the way round then i prob wouldnt take him again.

Pudding Girl
03-03-2009, 07:14 PM
Exactly Debbie.

To the untrained observer it may seem we are just doing our shopping on the child's time, but it's not liek that. Bit like when the kids help sort the socks, or hang out the washing, it's not about me taking advantage of them and using slave labour, it's about sorting, and pairing, and learning to use pegs, and colours and oh just about everything!

I know my own CCO's opinion is that general household activites are a huge boon to children, and we should be acitvley encouraging it all and tbh her opinion on it as she is inspecting me is the only one that matters to me ;)

Hebs
03-03-2009, 07:17 PM
We are only talking about being a supermarket for 30 to 45 mins not all day

:laughing: it takes longer than 45 mins for me to do a weekly shop online, nevermind a monthly shop with kids in tow :thumbsup:

flora
03-03-2009, 07:39 PM
:laughing: it takes longer than 45 mins for me to do a weekly shop online, nevermind a monthly shop with kids in tow :thumbsup:

Golly heather how long :D

Me thinks you ought to write a list :thumbsup:

Hebs
03-03-2009, 07:43 PM
Golly heather how long :D

Me thinks you ought to write a list :thumbsup:

i do have a list actually as all my meals are planned

BUT

you should see how big and how busy my local ASDA is, they have a service where an employee pushes the elderly around in chairs cos it's THAT big
one of the new Walmart stores, sells furniture and everything :thumbsup:

cheeky monkeys
03-03-2009, 08:04 PM
My feeling is that things should be done in moderation. A full weekly shop is not moderate and I as a parent would not be happy if my CM was taking my child every week to do her weekly shopping whilst I was paying her. Yes 1 or 2 trips a week to tescos to pick up a handfull of items I deam acceptable and educational. Actually I'd prefer my CM to take my child to the local shops and support the local community which I think is far more educational than tesco.

rickysmiths
04-03-2009, 01:14 AM
My feeling is that things should be done in moderation. A full weekly shop is not moderate and I as a parent would not be happy if my CM was taking my child every week to do her weekly shopping whilst I was paying her. Yes 1 or 2 trips a week to tescos to pick up a handfull of items I deam acceptable and educational. Actually I'd prefer my CM to take my child to the local shops and support the local community which I think is far more educational than tesco.

What like the butcher, baker fishmonger, pet shop? I do all that and I unashamedly take them to tesco or waitrose to do a monthly shop once in a while. While we are there we visit the greengrocery, the fresh fish shop, the cheese counter, the butcher !!!!!!! Not every month, but I think that is actually preferable to dragging them out for multiple little shops at a supermarket every week.! I sometimes take three of them and they enjoy it because we make it interesting.

tinkerbelle
04-03-2009, 07:37 AM
What like the butcher, baker fishmonger, pet shop? I do all that and I unashamedly take them to tesco or waitrose to do a monthly shop once in a while. While we are there we visit the greengrocery, the fresh fish shop, the cheese counter, the butcher !!!!!!! Not every month, but I think that is actually preferable to dragging them out for multiple little shops at a supermarket every week.! I sometimes take three of them and they enjoy it because we make it interesting.

i couldnt agree with you more i would not want my children being taken to the shops 3-4 times a week for bits and bobs plus its more expensive to do this than spending under an hour doing the weekly shop with them if i went 3-4 times a week it would take me longer than it does to do the full shop
my parents like the fact that their children are able to do this as they dont have time at weekend as this is spent as a family not shopping.
the kids i mind would never hit out if they were bored and if you make it enjoyable for them by getting them to help and treating them to lunch after they should not be in the position of being bored mine certainly never are
at my ofsted inspection in deceme=ber 08 it was mentioned that we went shopping she said not a problem as long as you are learning them things whilst there.
as for using my local stores fine if you want out of date and mouldy food (they are under trading standards for this) but i personnally wont eat it so tesco it is

angeldelight
04-03-2009, 07:39 AM
I think everyone is different and everyone will do their own thing whatever anyone says

:laughing: :laughing:

Angel xx

haribo
04-03-2009, 07:50 AM
of course we will angel- if people saw me with my mindees they would see i am following the childs interests lol we spend more time in the toy aisle than anywhere else. no one surely drags the kids kicking and screaming round the shops do they??? i think i must be missing something if people thik its wrong to go shopping a few times a week also my ofsted inspector loved the fact we go .

angeldelight
04-03-2009, 07:53 AM
of course we will angel- if people saw me with my mindees they would see i am following the childs interests lol we spend more time in the toy aisle than anywhere else. no one surely drags the kids kicking and screaming round the shops do they??? i think i must be missing something if people thik its wrong to go shopping a few times a week also my ofsted inspector loved the fact we go .

I agree

If I want to go shopping I will ha

Mind you like I said before my hubby is bad enough on a big shop so I couldnt put up with the kids too :laughing: :laughing:
So I will just stick to the little shops that we do at the moment

Angel xx

haribo
04-03-2009, 08:08 AM
im lucky in that i live in walking distance to our local shops AND tesco and thats why i can pop to the shops easily. if it felt wrong i wouldnt do it . i wont stop if ofstead disapprove either- everyones circumstances are different. i just cant understand the people who are so vehemently opposed to it . is it because were taking valuable time out of a childs life when we should be sitting them down and observing them and scribbiing things in a book etc . this is absurd each childminder is different but hopefully does the best for the children she minds.

venus89
04-03-2009, 08:32 AM
At the end of the day I wouldn't be too chuffed if somebody I was paying to look after my kids di their weekly shop with them week after week... I'm not sure 1 hour of shopping has more educational benefit than 10 or 15 minutes?

I was told in my ICP that a few bits here and there was OK but not the full weekly.....

haribo
04-03-2009, 08:41 AM
haha i have also lost count of the number of times ive waited for a parent to arrive so i could do my shopping when theyd gone ..."sorry got stuck in traffic" then i would see several bags of shopping on the back seat when they open the car door.:angry: :angry:

wendywu
04-03-2009, 09:01 AM
Thank you Venus this what i have been saying on the other thread on this subject.

I have been told on many different courses when the question of shopping comes up. A few bits and pieces but not your weekly shop.

We can chew the fat all we like over this but for Ofsted it is a no no:panic: and if a parent put in a complaint it would be upheld.

haribo
04-03-2009, 09:17 AM
well a " few bits and pieces " 2 or 3 times a week can add up to a weekly shop! for goodness sake a bit of common sense is needed here! you would think we were torturing the children not taking them on an outing which in our case is made fun and educational (yes really) i suspect ofsted dont want the scenario of kids dragged along or sitting bored whilst a childminder is snappy and preoccupied so if thats the case dont do it . i certainly wouldnt.

Chatterbox Childcare
04-03-2009, 09:18 AM
I think everyone is different and everyone will do their own thing whatever anyone says

:laughing: :laughing:

Angel xx

Very diplomatic!!

LOOPYLISA
04-03-2009, 09:46 AM

We can be in the supermarket for around 1hr or more :blush:

tinkerbelle
04-03-2009, 09:50 AM
At the end of the day I wouldn't be too chuffed if somebody I was paying to look after my kids di their weekly shop with them week after week... I'm not sure 1 hour of shopping has more educational benefit than 10 or 15 minutes?

I was told in my ICP that a few bits here and there was OK but not the full weekly.....

thats all well and good but why should i then eat in to my own family time to do my "childminding" food shopping or is the parent going to pay me extra to do this when their child has gone home no i dont think so i refuse to do anything regarding childminding at the weekend as this is my own childrens time
i work 15 hours a day 3 days a week and 12 and a half hours 2 days so i dont have the time to mess about with shopping when the kids have gone
i have full consent for parents to do this as if i do the shop 3-4 times a week what with travel etc it takes around 4 hours a week now if i was a parent i would not be happy paying for this where as once a week shopping with travel takes me 1 1/2 hours max id say its a damn site better doing a weekly than a small shop
iv also just contacted ofsted on this matter and have been informed its not in their remit to comment on this as long as the children are learning from the experience then its fine but they would view a bigger shop takes less time out of a childs week than 4 small shops so i will continue with my weekly shops

mushpea
04-03-2009, 09:58 AM
as i put on the other thread, I cant see the difference in going to the shop 3 or 4 times a week to get stuff and going to the shop once a week for a weekly shop, dosent matter when or how long you go you are still shopping with the children, and as the other person said why should i shop for minded childrens food and drink in my own time, they eat here so they can shop with me to learn about the food they eat.

haribo
04-03-2009, 10:06 AM
i wish id never seen this thread now lol i need some milk for my cuppa and im now wondering if i should go or not . its ridiculous reallythough and the day ofstead tell me i mustnt shop with mindees is the day i stop childminding .

huggableshelly
04-03-2009, 10:29 AM
i wish id never seen this thread now lol i need some milk for my cuppa and im now wondering if i should go or not . its ridiculous reallythough and the day ofstead tell me i mustnt shop with mindees is the day i stop childminding .

go and get your milk lol

eveyone does things differently, i do not shop with mindess, I dont even shop on my own as my Hubby does it for me i had food shopping but I do top up shopping with a mindee or on my own.

do what you are happy with.

Pudding Girl
04-03-2009, 11:05 AM
Good point just been mentioned above - assuming that some of what people buy is actually FOR the childminding business? In that case I think it's perfectly acceptable to do so in "working hours".

Ofsted's opinion ( have we had that confirmed yet btw?) is obviously v different from the Care Commission's on this kind of thing, they encourage family activities as they see the HUGE benefits in it for the child.

LOOPYLISA
04-03-2009, 11:08 AM
Go get your milk, or i will tell ofsted :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Pipsqueak
04-03-2009, 11:13 AM
I wouldn't dream of doing the full weekly - my own families shop during working hours. We do go to the shops and get bits and bobs for tea/snack (ie fruit, veg) and we go if I have perhaps run out of something that is needed.
yes we are a home based environment giving the kids the experiences of home BUT we are still working and I try very hard to keep work and personal life fairly separate. Within my work day yes the kids get to sort socks, push the button on the washing machine, walk the dog, pop to the shop, come to the dental appointment with one of my kids etc - all home based experiences that they wouldn't get in a nursery. Couldn't justify doing the full weekly shop though but each to their own

barbarella68
04-03-2009, 11:57 AM
Good comments Tinkerbelle,My mindees eat me out of house and home.I refuse to go shopping at weekend, too busy.They love it and actually asked me when can we go,other than the fact they get to pick what to have for lunch.
What a hornets nest that has been stirred, just carry on doing what you are doing, to be honest Ofsted can never make their minds up one week it's ok then other week not and to be honest I don't really think they know what they are doing half the time if you go by what I have been reading in the news lately. :(

Hebs
04-03-2009, 12:00 PM
Ofsted's opinion ( have we had that confirmed yet btw?) .

not yet :rolleyes:

barbarella68
04-03-2009, 12:01 PM
See we are all different I wouldn't dream of taking my Mindees to the dentist with my family, thats our time together even if it is the dentist, I find a time to go when I haven't got mindees. So you see we are all different, nobody is right nobody is wrong.;)

venus89
04-03-2009, 12:15 PM
but I remember in acourse on of the other mindees saying that they didn't want posters all over their walls as when the kids go home they want their home to look like a home. Tutor said - quite fairly - that it's her choice to work from home and she has to accept the consequences of that choice. Her home is not just her home any more, it's also a business.

All of you saying you don't want to let your sweekly shop encroach on your personal time - surely that's the kind of attitude that can give us a bad reputation as being people who only do it to get out of having a 'real' job.

And before I face the firing squad I do not mean by that that you're dong a bad job, justthat spending an hour in Tesco picking up food for your famiy whilst mindees in tow doesn't - to me - look very professional.

barbarella68
04-03-2009, 12:21 PM
Well that's your opinion,which you are entitled to.If parents don't want a family environment perhaps they should choose a nursery.Most parents I have worked with choose us for that reason, a family based setting.:(

tinkerbelle
04-03-2009, 12:22 PM
not yet :rolleyes:

yes via telephone with switchboard and an inspector this morning :clapping:

barbarella68
04-03-2009, 12:26 PM
Sorry do you mean yes we can take children shopping YAY:clapping:

tinkerbelle
04-03-2009, 12:35 PM
but I remember in acourse on of the other mindees saying that they didn't want posters all over their walls as when the kids go home they want their home to look like a home. Tutor said - quite fairly - that it's her choice to work from home and she has to accept the consequences of that choice. Her home is not just her home any more, it's also a business.

All of you saying you don't want to let your sweekly shop encroach on your personal time - surely that's the kind of attitude that can give us a bad reputation as being people who only do it to get out of having a 'real' job.

And before I face the firing squad I do not mean by that that you're dong a bad job, justthat spending an hour in Tesco picking up food for your famiy whilst mindees in tow doesn't - to me - look very professional.

to be quite honest you have obviously not read my thread have you i do my MINDING shop with the mindees not my personal shop
and as for saying it gives you lot a bad name how dare you :angry: thats just the kind of attitude we dont need in this proffession i work damn hard and long hours to ensure the kids thrive in my setting and i am extremely proffessional however i will not work weekends this is my time and my kids time if i worked in a office weekends would be my familys time why should childminding be any different
i have never said minding is not a real job and my entire downstairs is like a day nursery with posters, toys, kids gallery etc we even moved house 18 months ago to ensure we had an extra toilet and storage space for the mindees this i dont mind at all as its my job but i dont see why i should have to buy the mindees food in MY time its all part and parcel of work so should be done during work time
my home shopping is done on a friday night if i got the mindees shop then the fruit would not be fresh etc

haribo
04-03-2009, 01:05 PM
well we have painted , made dens , made towers from bricks ,in fact made a heck of a mess lol ,played outside and eaten lunch now does anyone mind if we nip to the shops please i really do need some milk for a cuppa lol also we will prob pick up a bit of craft stuff if that makes it ok lol i think we should stop getting so worked up about it we are meant to support each other! one thing i will say i completely disagree with the notion that shopping makes us look unprofessional as it has made me well known in my area as handling mindees brilliantly and having a lovely relationship with them i have made many contacts through just being seen out and it never entered my head anyone might tut and think look at her out getting shopping and im a bit sad to read some of the comments on here tbh . also i do like my home to look like my home when everyone has gone so i have a big noticeboard which i take down at the end of the day , i have always been honest with ofstead about my daily routines and for nearly 20 yrs have been graded good and had glowing reports . i think maybe some people need to have a bit more confidence and do what feels right instead of wondering what looks good to others :) if it doesnt feel right dont do it but dont make others feel bad because they do it different .

tinkerbelle
04-03-2009, 01:08 PM
well we have painted , made dens , made towers from bricks ,in fact made a heck of a mess lol ,played outside and eaten lunch now does anyone mind if we nip to the shops please i really do need some milk for a cuppa lol also we will prob pick up a bit of craft stuff if that makes it ok lol i think we should stop getting so worked up about it we are meant to support each other! one thing i will say i completely disagree with the notion that shopping makes us look unprofessional as it has made me well known in my area as handling mindees brilliantly and having a lovely relationship with them i have made many contacts through just being seen out and it never entered my head anyone might tut and think look at her out getting shopping and im a bit sad to read some of the comments on here tbh . also i do like my home to look like my home when everyone has gone so i have a big noticeboard which i take down at the end of the day , i have always been honest with ofstead about my daily routines and for nearly 20 yrs have been graded good and had glowing reports . i think maybe some people need to have a bit more confidence and do what feels right instead of wondering what looks good to others :) if it doesnt feel right dont do it but dont make others feel bad because they do it different .

totally agree :thumbsup:

Bananabrain
04-03-2009, 01:12 PM
to be quite honest you have obviously not read my thread have you i do my MINDING shop with the mindees not my personal shop
and as for saying it gives you lot a bad name how dare you :angry: thats just the kind of attitude we dont need in this proffession i work damn hard and long hours to ensure the kids thrive in my setting and i am extremely proffessional however i will not work weekends this is my time and my kids time if i worked in a office weekends would be my familys time why should childminding be any different
i have never said minding is not a real job and my entire downstairs is like a day nursery with posters, toys, kids gallery etc we even moved house 18 months ago to ensure we had an extra toilet and storage space for the mindees this i dont mind at all as its my job but i dont see why i should have to buy the mindees food in MY time its all part and parcel of work so should be done during work time
my home shopping is done on a friday night if i got the mindees shop then the fruit would not be fresh etc

I kind of agree with you,my house looks like a nursery too. I too work lomg hours and alot of my free time is taken up doing things,getting stuff ready,shopping for the children.

Childminding can be a very tough job,how many of us get proper lunchbreaks?

If I didn't do at least some{not all of my food shopping} with mindees in tow , I would have no free time at all.

On sunday 2 potential parents visited,last night I was on a course,gonna have to spend at least 2 more eves doing new contracts.

I know that all of this is my choice and part of the job but sometimes I am too tired to wash my hair by the end of the week!!

As for the dentist,I have decided that if I have to take mindees then so be it.I am very rarely off sick because I know parents are relying on me.Have been shouted at in the past for daring to have a hosp app that I tried to fit around mindee hours but couldn't.

I am committed to my job and give it 100 per cent,but I am not superwoman!!!

manjay
04-03-2009, 01:14 PM
Not sure about anyone else but this thread is making very uncomfortable reading. I always thought we could discuss things on here without it getting personal because we don't all agree. What a shame!

mandy moo
04-03-2009, 01:15 PM

And me
My thoughts too as well as few others posted.

Spangles
04-03-2009, 01:18 PM
I think we all have to agree to disagree. What seems right to one person is not always right to another.

I wouldn't do my weekly shop with mindees as to me it is not right but completely accept that others think this is fine. We are all different and offer different experiences and variations to our services. I'm sure there are things I do that others wouldn't think okay too like I do take mindee to dentist with us for instance.

It will be interesting to hear what Ofsted have to say on the matter though.

venus89
04-03-2009, 01:26 PM
Not sure about anyone else but this thread is making very uncomfortable reading. I always thought we could discuss things on here without it getting personal because we don't all agree. What a shame!

I honestly don't see that I have been getting personal about anything, but I've obviously made others feel like that as people responded very angrily to my last post. What I wrote wasn't personally aimed at anybody, nor was it intednded to give an 'I'm right, you're wrong' viewpoint. I've already said I go to the shops with my mindees, but that to me going on a weekly shop wasn't right. 'm simply trying to suggest that doing a weekly shop with the mindees might be the route to some people suggesting that we (not the 'we' not the 'you') are not doing a proper job - as many people seem to think.

I thought I was allowed to express my opinion on this site without people getting the hump with me. Seems I was wrong :(

Mollymop
04-03-2009, 01:31 PM
Look, let's all learn to agree to disagree, either we take the kids with us shopping or we don't.

We agree or disagree.

Let's not turn this thread into a debating area for upsetting each other/other members/guests who might be reading/parents.

I am sure we are all doing a good job and we are professional, so let's not debate any longer if it means we are going to end up feeling upset and inadequate in a job we love doing.

Maybe the thread should be locked now?

Spangles
04-03-2009, 01:34 PM
I agree Mollymop.

It's easy to read things differently to how they are meant when you can't see a person's expression and mannerisms.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter what another childminder is doing in this case because it's not endangering any children's health or safety it's just a matter of personal opinion and choice.

venus89
04-03-2009, 01:37 PM
Look, let's all learn to agree to disagree, either we take the kids with us shopping or we don't.

We agree or disagree.

Let's not turn this thread into a debating area for upsetting each other/other members/guests who might be reading/parents.

I am sure we are all doing a good job and we are professional, so let's not debate any longer if it means we are going to end up feeling upset and inadequate in a job we love doing.

Maybe the thread should be locked now?

I quite agree - if we were all the same, wouldn't life be boring?

I would like to apologise or inadvertantly upset people.

I also want to say that I do feel disappointed

haribo
04-03-2009, 02:51 PM
venus89, you dont need to apologise , everyone does different things which is great as long as parents and children are happy thats all that matters in my opinion, we are all great on here hahaha so lets get on with it we have ofsted to tell us what to do and thats enough rules to follow lol theres nothing wrong with a good debate though i must admit to thinking a bit about what everyones said and that can only be good hehe i just dont like to follow rules for rules sake i suppose ! hope everyone is ok xx

Pipsqueak
04-03-2009, 03:36 PM
:group hug: group hug anyone:D

Its each to their own, its down to personal choice and the way we run our business.

uf353432
04-03-2009, 03:36 PM
I think it comes down to 'intent'.

I went to a toddler group the other week with my own kids. It was the first time I have been and there was 3 'older' childminders sat down they spent the whole time nattering. They had a variety of minded kids in their 'care' the littlest ones spent the whole time strapped in their buggies, were ignored for the full session - they were awake, not offered any toys just parked up and not even facing the action. Plenty of play mats and toys if they had been let out to sit on the floor - I was gutted for these kids. As a parent and childminder in training I thought it was really sad. A toddler group would seem the perfect environment for children - unless the intent of the carer is to go and sit and drink coffee and chat.

The same therefore can be said about shopping. If the intent of the carer is to go to the supermarket and turn it into a learning experience, where all the kids get involved with colours, textures, weights, smells etc. Then actually these kids are really benefitting from a learning experience. However if they are sat in the trolley or dragged round with no communication getting bored and generally hacked off then to be honest its no better than the carers who blentently ignored their charges whilst at the the toddler group.

As far as I am concerned - shopping with kids is a free resource, a cheap activity which can be hugely rewarding. You can take the experience back into the home and expand on it. But only if the intent is to make it into a worthwhile exercise.

kellywestie
04-03-2009, 03:44 PM
Hi everyone, as I see it we are never all going to agree with what everyone else does or sees things.

For me, I have always seen my setting as being a 'home from home' for the children I have looked after in the past and look after now. I worked in England before moving to Wales 3 years ago and am still in touch and visit with all the parents and children I looked after in England. Most of the children I look after here are in school all day so are not affected but in term time I and my 3 yr old mindee go to the supermarket, usually on a Friday afternoon and I do my weekly shop - his Mum has no problem with this! We have a fun time, work on colours, numbers, letters, smallest, biggest, lightest, heaviest, recognition and have a good laugh going around - in fact we have been told how lovely it is to see a 'parent' actually talking to their child whilst going around on many, many occasions! Mindee loves it as well when we get home and helps to carry things into the house.

I use what would be my dining room for childminding, as well as other areas, and we make a point of not having the minded children's artwork/crafts left at the house - they all take everything home on the day they make it, after taking photo's! I would have a real job NOT getting them to take it home to show! None of the parents I have dealt with have ever commented on this nor have Ofsted (when I was in England) or CSSIW (here in Wales).

We have an 'achievement wall' for our DS with pictures, certificates on it but when push comes to shove this is our home. My DH would never agree to our walls being covered with everyone elses work.

This is my personal way of doing the job, works for me, my family, my parents and children.

manjay
04-03-2009, 03:53 PM
I honestly don't see that I have been getting personal about anything, but I've obviously made others feel like that as people responded very angrily to my last post. What I wrote wasn't personally aimed at anybody, nor was it intednded to give an 'I'm right, you're wrong' viewpoint. I've already said I go to the shops with my mindees, but that to me going on a weekly shop wasn't right. 'm simply trying to suggest that doing a weekly shop with the mindees might be the route to some people suggesting that we (not the 'we' not the 'you') are not doing a proper job - as many people seem to think.

I thought I was allowed to express my opinion on this site without people getting the hump with me. Seems I was wrong :(

My comment was not aimed at anyone in particular. Just my point of view about the thread.

haribo
04-03-2009, 05:04 PM
:group hug: group hug anyone:D

Its each to their own, its down to personal choice and the way we run our business.

ill take you up on that hug thanks :clapping:

venus89
04-03-2009, 05:09 PM
My comment was not aimed at anyone in particular. Just my point of view about the thread.

I didn't think it was aimed at me!! I was just responding to it as I agree with you, it was all getting unpleasant.

Similarly, the post I made which caused all this wasn't aimed at anybody at all - tinkerbelle responded very heatedly and obviously thought I was talking to her but I was making general comments and there's no reason for her to assume it was aimed at her at all.

Anyway - I went to the supermarket after all that to buy ingredients to make cakes - with my mindee :D

Mollymop
04-03-2009, 05:31 PM
ill take you up on that hug thanks :clapping:

phew! ME TOO! Lets all hug

Hebs
04-03-2009, 05:34 PM
have had a reply to my email

have updated my post :thumbsup:

tinkerbelle
04-03-2009, 06:33 PM
I didn't think it was aimed at me!! I was just responding to it as I agree with you, it was all getting unpleasant.

Similarly, the post I made which caused all this wasn't aimed at anybody at all - tinkerbelle responded very heatedly and obviously thought I was talking to her but I was making general comments and there's no reason for her to assume it was aimed at her at all.

Anyway - I went to the supermarket after all that to buy ingredients to make cakes - with my mindee :D

i should think i did respond heatedly i dont appreciate fellow minders insinuating ithere are those of us who are unproffessional for taking our mindees shopping the comments i get when shopping with mindees proves to me im doing a damn good job with them and that they are enjoying the outing as for me assuming it was aimed at me some of the things you wrote replied to some comments i had made and i did not assume this its clear in what you had written such as i had written about not shopping at weekends as this is my time for being with my family the following are your words

"All of you saying you don't want to let your sweekly shop encroach on your personal time - surely that's the kind of attitude that can give us a bad reputation as being people who only do it to get out of having a 'real' job."

so please enlighten me as to which part was not aimed partially at me and why i should not get heated when you are insinuating this about hard working minders

venus89
04-03-2009, 06:54 PM
Tinkerbelle

As I said 'all of you' - that means more than one. Did you read the initial thread on the subject (http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=27153&page=3&highlight=weekly+shop). Barbarella on this thread, aimiev, lisah, jules27, rickysmiths on the other.... probably more but that was after a scan through. All people who don't want to do their weekly (or monthly) shop outside of minding hours, for various reasons.

As for the other comments I made which you feel responded directly to things you said then please let me know what they are and I'll do my best to work out why you feel that way. If I aim a reply at somebody I generally quote what they said or mention their name.

You will notice that I said it 'can' give us a bad reputation - not does. i think some people will always elieve we're copping out. As a hard working childminder myself I'm well aware that's not the case.

Let me know what else you feel was aimed at you as I would like to calm the troubled waters.

Rubybubbles
04-03-2009, 09:00 PM
:D nice thread to get my teeth into with a cuppa thanks:laughing:

I don't do weekly shops, thats my input;)

vix84
04-03-2009, 09:28 PM
I would only feel comfortable popping to a shop with a young child - so say under 1, to get a few bits. This is enough time for the little one to see the community, witness conversations and social interactions etc. and have a change of scenery.

Id happily do a weekly shoop with an over 1 year old as you can point things out to them, ask them to pop things in the bag, hand over money, saying please and thank you, and they could have their own shopping list with photos on etc. The list is endless of what you could do - this is a great learning adventure and also means you are helping the children to get out into 'the wider community' ;)

I agree that going around the shop with the mindee's just sat in the trolley and not interacting would not be good. But if you make it into a planned activity, you could also assess what they are learning from it, and then the next steps ..... so a child may not recognise and name a new vegetable - so you could then do a cooking activity with that vegetable for their next steps.

I think its important to tell the parents of the mindee's that you do do things like shopping etc. with their children - but show them the planning and learning outcomes. As I have heard of a parent taking a mindee out of the Childminders care as they did the food shopping!

berkschick
04-03-2009, 09:31 PM
I HATE HATE HATE supermarkets!

I cant remember the last time I went to one :laughing:

I get Tesco to deliver, during my working day.

They deliver in the afternoon when all my lot are asleep!

vix84
04-03-2009, 10:01 PM
I HATE HATE HATE supermarkets!

I cant remember the last time I went to one :laughing:

I get Tesco to deliver, during my working day.

They deliver in the afternoon when all my lot are asleep!

I used to do that untill a few weeks ago when I got an email to say my delivery was cancelled due to no drivers:eek: That really annoyed me as I didnt have time to re-arrange for another day - and it meant we had a few days of freezer food!

wendywu
04-03-2009, 11:51 PM
Yer lets all go shopping, Harrods anyone :laughing:

peanuts
05-03-2009, 06:38 AM
i have enjoyed reading everyones thread on this point. we are all different none of us do the same thing that is why parents choose us home based setting.
:group hug: