PDA

View Full Version : Observations query ...

hannahsstar
03-03-2009, 02:16 PM
Hi

Does anyone know how often Ofsted expect us to do observations on each child?

Janet

mandysmonkeys
03-03-2009, 02:37 PM
I have been doing short obs weekly 1 or 2 maximum and then 1 strutured ob per month. Most have next steps, which I include in the following weeks planning.
In addition I take lots of pics and write one line under and link to EYFS 4.4, I hope I am doing it right. Following guidelines I had on EYFS training I had last year.

Mollymop
03-03-2009, 02:43 PM
I do obs once a month but make short ones now and again and write in their diary. I had my inspection in November and inspector was fine with it

sue
03-03-2009, 08:14 PM
had inspection Monday and was told l was doing to much think they are exspecting childminders to do about 2 a month unless its a wow moment l did print a load of pictures and put them under the 6 subheading for the last 3 years it was fun kids helped me and it was part of their learning joinal Hope this Helps

marion123
03-03-2009, 08:16 PM
I do obs once a month but make short ones now and again and write in their diary. I had my inspection in November and inspector was fine with it

i do 1 a month too :)

Shar
03-03-2009, 08:47 PM
I was told to do 1 per week per child on the NCMA EYFS courses. Had my inspection in Jan and inspector was very pleased with all the obs and next steps for each child. Do whatever you think is manage:thumbsup: able for you. Good luck.

happytotschildminding
03-03-2009, 09:15 PM
When I went for training on PSRN recently the lecturer said it would be good practice to make links to the 16 principles - I had only been linking it to the ones in 4.4 :eek: So now in child's file for example ask for parents comments I put (2.2 parents as partners) after etc. I have no idea if I'm doing it right - its driving me NUTS (enter smiley tearing hair out)
Carol

sarah707
03-03-2009, 09:24 PM
When I went for training on PSRN recently the lecturer said it would be good practice to make links to the 16 principles - I had only been linking it to the ones in 4.4 :eek: So now in child's file for example ask for parents comments I put (2.2 parents as partners) after etc. I have no idea if I'm doing it right - its driving me NUTS (enter smiley tearing hair out)
Carol

You need to have all 16 principles firmly in place before you start working with children... the Eyfs makes that clear.

Each principle is for different purposes but they all link to give an overview of what you should be offering.

You simply cannot be expected to link every child's activity to all 16 principles :eek: Where on earth would you stop? Each of the 16 are broken down into 3 sub sections... would you link to each of those as well?

Sorry but that's paperwork gone mad and I would happily argue the point with your tutor :(

happytotschildminding
04-03-2009, 09:45 AM
Thank you Sarah - thought it was a bit over the top! Even my network co-ordinator said I should be linking it somewhere - she suggested putting it into my planning file, so I went through all of all my planning trying to link it to all the principles and made a right mess of it cos there's so much of it - I def won't be doing it anymore - will carry on just linking it to 4.4.:)
That's me a happier bunny
Carol