PDA

View Full Version : Car Insurance for students

Chatterbox Childcare
03-03-2009, 01:37 PM
My son is just learning to drive and as he cannot use my car is purchasing his own. Does anyone else have a child in this situtation and if so, which insurance company do you use?

Carol
03-03-2009, 01:42 PM
Soz cant help daughter got her insurance with her boyfriend together, think they used Elephant.co.uk

Didnt want to read and run

Good Luck

Carol

Shar
03-03-2009, 01:45 PM
Hi Debbie, my 17 year old son did the same last April. He got a P reg Fiat punto 55 because it's one of the cheapest cars to insure. We went on gocompare.com
and the cheapest quote he got was £1880 with Churchill, which we had to pay up front as it was his first policy. This year he is 18 and the price is £850with no claims and he can pay it monthly this time. Good luck to him!!

p.s It much cheaper if he has a provisional licence because he will always have a driver with him, once he passes his test the insurance goes up lots because he will be on his own.

sarah707
03-03-2009, 01:45 PM
My friend paid just over £1000 recently to put her 17 year old on her insurance.

It was a mid range small car, nothing special, no previous accidents etc.

She uses morethan and thought she got a reasonable deal :eek:

cher25
03-03-2009, 06:23 PM
When i first learned to drive, i bought a car myself (renault clio in 2002) and my dp dad kindly insured it in his name with me as named driver and im sure it was only about £500. After passing my test when it came to renewal i was getting quotes of £1000, then some quotes were down to £700, through price comparison sites which seemed to expensive. If you go direct to the company you will get a better deal. I got my insurance my 1st year at £600.
Try looking at sites that aren't major names either, as they are usually brokers and they got me a brilliant deal last year and some company's were trying to charge me up to £1000 again.