PDA

View Full Version : Not sure if I'm being a dolt or the man on the phone is.....

venus89
03-03-2009, 11:32 AM
I'm just a few days off completing my first year as a childminder, and as a taxpayer. When I informed the lovely people at HMRC that I would be working they said - or so I thought - that I could choose my own tax start date. So I thought I had chosen to start paying tax from when I started work (seems to make sense?)

Does anybody else have an experience of being able to choose which date their tax starts from? In other words, rather than from April 6th? Or did I just totally imagine the whole thing? Man on the phone has just treated me like a total idiot - am I being one?

FizzysFriends
03-03-2009, 11:46 AM
You can't choose when you tax year starts, everyones starts the same in April.

May be he was confused as companies that have full accounts put them in every 12 months (the company I work for has a year that ends 30th Jan).

venus89
03-03-2009, 11:50 AM
I was me then :blush:

I was absolutely convinced i'd given them dates for my tax returns to go in, and been allowed to choose that date....

Also positive I never paid tax for March last year......

FizzysFriends
03-03-2009, 11:52 AM
I was me then :blush:

I was absolutely convinced i'd given them dates for my tax returns to go in, and been allowed to choose that date....

Also positive I never paid tax for March last year......

Were you minding last tax year? And did you put in a self assessment?

venus89
03-03-2009, 11:55 AM
Were you minding last tax year? And did you put in a self assessment?

Well, I started mid march. I certainly haven't filled in a self assessment form. Well, i don't think I have but when I said that to the man he started asking me lots of extra security questions..... So maybe I did. That was so long ago... I think I need to develop a business brain!

I do have in front of me a self assessment statement - as I said to Man - so I guess I must have.

I suppose I'll just have to let the write to me when the time comes

FizzysFriends
03-03-2009, 12:18 PM
Well, I started mid march. I certainly haven't filled in a self assessment form. Well, i don't think I have but when I said that to the man he started asking me lots of extra security questions..... So maybe I did. That was so long ago... I think I need to develop a business brain!

I do have in front of me a self assessment statement - as I said to Man - so I guess I must have.

I suppose I'll just have to let the write to me when the time comes

If you have had a statement then you must be upto date with your returns or they would be chasing you by now.

You will get paperwork for this years sometime over the next month or so. Either a form or a letter (if you do it online they don't tend to send the full form out just a letter with the date you need to do it by).

venus89
03-03-2009, 12:21 PM
Super.
I think I got a little spooked by all the people I knew having to do their returns in January and me not having any forms to return..... The last thing I want to muck up is my taxes.

FizzysFriends
03-03-2009, 12:25 PM
Super.
I think I got a little spooked by all the people I knew having to do their returns in January and me not having any forms to return..... The last thing I want to muck up is my taxes.

well you will have the pleasure of panicing in January next year is you haven't done them by then.

venus89
03-03-2009, 12:31 PM
well you will have the pleasure of panicing in January next year is you haven't done them by then.

Lol
No, I think it will be by return post. if I don't do it sraight waway then I'm bound to forget!!