PDA

View Full Version : Baby Milk

bubbly
03-03-2009, 08:55 AM
Do childminders now have to make-up baby milk in their setting?

I think I'm out of touch as I thought it was ok for parents to bring already made-up bottles.

misst104
03-03-2009, 08:59 AM
I thought that too so will be interested to see what others do!

x

murphy61
03-03-2009, 09:09 AM
im interested to find out the answer to this too.

haribo
03-03-2009, 09:12 AM
i always had made up milk brought to my home but when the last one started mum said guidelines had changed and said milk should be made up when needed so she brought me bottles of cooled water and a container with compartments for the right amount of formula .

rickysmiths
03-03-2009, 09:21 AM
The recommndations now advise the boiled water is put in the bottles. This can be kept on the counter top, no need to keep this in the fridge. The milk podwer is then added when you need the bottle or a least no more than one hour before.

What I find is that parents now who don't choose to give me a full tub of milk use divided containers, each section contains the measured amount of powder to add to the water.

I noticed the changes two years ago when a new parent brought a different milk to the one I normally have. I rang the manufacturers and the above advice was confirmed.

Apparently there have been a few problems in the USA associated with making bottles up and keeping them but no problems here. I guess they have to cover themselves the way we do.

peanuts
03-03-2009, 09:31 AM
my parent supplied the milk powder and i made up the milk when i needed it, bottles with water were supplied to me in the morning

breezy
03-03-2009, 09:35 AM
mum brings me bottles of cooled water and formula in pot all ready measured, if i'm out and about and warming bottle may be a problem i warm the water before i go, then add powder when needed.

Happy Feet
03-03-2009, 09:35 AM
for my baby i have bottles of boiled water on the side and when she needs one i warm it up and then add the amount of powder needed.

for my eldest daughter we made up a batch of bottles each day and stored them in the fridge and warmed them as needed....my eldest was a more 'sicky' baby, this may have been why. we have never done it this way for the younger one and have really noticed a difference (may also be down to the fact they are different babies!!!)

xx

Princess Sara
03-03-2009, 09:45 AM
Once a bottle is made up, you shouldn't use it after 1 hour, wheather it has been in the fridge or not. They advise boiled water being put in the bottles and left on the side to cool for approx half an hour, then adding the powder to this and feeding straight away.

Obviously this is silly unless you know exactly when baby is going to want to be fed! I leave bottles on the side and add formula then mircowave (naughty I know...) to the correct temp. This is for MY baby though, nto a mindee.

I think the new rules are because the milk powder itself is not sterile, and so as soon as it is made up bacteria can start growing making it unsafe to use after 1 hour.

Mollymop
03-03-2009, 09:50 AM
The recommndations now advise the boiled water is put in the bottles. This can be kept on the counter top, no need to keep this in the fridge. The milk podwer is then added when you need the bottle or a least no more than one hour before.

What I find is that parents now who don't choose to give me a full tub of milk use divided containers, each section contains the measured amount of powder to add to the water.

This is what I do.

huggableshelly
03-03-2009, 10:35 AM
my sister inlaw informed me of the changes too.

i do not have any babies in my care but if I did i would request the powder in a compartment box and bottles ready with the cool boiled water in them.

i do not know how I would store the bottles though, maybe I would get an open box or bottle crate to ensure that bottles are kept seperate from other bottoles .. if I had two on bottles that is.

marion123
03-03-2009, 11:19 AM
my mindees mum brings the powder and i make them up when needed i tell mum when nearly empty i have always done this it saves mum time in the morning

Blaze
03-03-2009, 12:06 PM
Here you go:

http://www.food.gov.uk/news/newsarchive/2006/feb/infantformulastatementnov05

:)

FizzysFriends
03-03-2009, 12:32 PM
It says that you should use water that has not been cooled for more than half an hour. What if the baby has the milk room temp (as my daughter did) or you aren't near a kettle?

fionamal
03-03-2009, 12:54 PM
When I had the baby in December I asked the mum to supply the cartons of readymade milk, that way there was no confusion over who, where and when we were to make the milk up.

Blaze
03-03-2009, 01:16 PM
When I had the baby in December I asked the mum to supply the cartons of readymade milk, that way there was no confusion over who, where and when we were to make the milk up.

This is what I do because the guidance is nearly impossible to follow in reality. (As a mother I boil the water put it in the bottle, store the bottle at room temp, then add powder & warm as needed), but as a childminder this is unacceptable so I ask for the ready made cartons to be provided.

rickysmiths
03-03-2009, 01:58 PM
This is what I do because the guidance is nearly impossible to follow in reality. (As a mother I boil the water put it in the bottle, store the bottle at room temp, then add powder & warm as needed), but as a childminder this is unacceptable so I ask for the ready made cartons to be provided.

Why is this unacceptable for a childminder?

You are making up the bottle as it is required and this is what the manufacturers recommend. I must say I always discourage buying the cartons except for emergency use. They are sooo expensive. :eek:

My parents either give me a full catron of dried milk or they bring it each day in sectioned container.

Blaze
03-03-2009, 02:18 PM
[/COLOR]

Why is this unacceptable for a childminder?

You are making up the bottle as it is required and this is what the manufacturers recommend. I must say I always discourage buying the cartons except for emergency use. They are sooo expensive. :eek:

My parents either give me a full catron of dried milk or they bring it each day in sectioned container.

Because the guidance now states:

"feeds are made up using boiled water that is greater than 70°C; in practice, this means using water that has been left to cool for no more than half an hour"

From here:

I leave the cooled water for longer than half an hour...though I make sure bottles are rotated...if I was to follow the guidance to the letter I would be boiling & cooling water all day & the baby in question would likely have to wait quite a while for a bottle (I feed on demand & every LO I have cared for at such a young age has been the same).

...the new guidance is because formula milk isn't sterile & bacteria forms in water also....but it is a little OTT, IMHO!

Pudding Girl
03-03-2009, 02:27 PM
Baby is on blue milk now, but his mum brought made up bottles and I stored them at back of fridge.

I know these guidelines have changed but fgs, it's madness really :rolleyes: if a parent wishes to prepare them in a certain way then in my eyes that's their call, not mine, as long as I am storing them in the back of fridge. If a parent wishes to bring water only, or cartons, whatever, I don't care, it's again their own choice how they do it.

I normally hate it when people say this but..

It didn't do my kids any harm!!!

:laughing:

nell57
03-03-2009, 03:03 PM
Because the guidance now states:

"feeds are made up using boiled water that is greater than 70°C; in practice, this means using water that has been left to cool for no more than half an hour"

From here:

I leave the cooled water for longer than half an hour...though I make sure bottles are rotated...if I was to follow the guidance to the letter I would be boiling & cooling water all day & the baby in question would likely have to wait quite a while for a bottle (I feed on demand & every LO I have cared for at such a young age has been the same).

...the new guidance is because formula milk isn't sterile & bacteria forms in water also....but it is a little OTT, IMHO!

Thanks for the link. Its very interesting as it clears up a friendly dispute I'm having with a mate.

PixiePetal
03-03-2009, 03:12 PM
Baby is on blue milk now, but his mum brought made up bottles and I stored them at back of fridge.

I know these guidelines have changed but fgs, it's madness really :rolleyes: if a parent wishes to prepare them in a certain way then in my eyes that's their call, not mine, as long as I am storing them in the back of fridge. If a parent wishes to bring water only, or cartons, whatever, I don't care, it's again their own choice how they do it.

I normally hate it when people say this but..

It didn't do my kids any harm!!!

:laughing:

Same here, my kids managed to survive bottle feeding :laughing:

It's the same with what age to start weaning. In the 25+ years I have been looking after children as nanny/childminder/mum it has been anywhere from 3-6 months and back again.

Also when to change to cows milk has been anywhere from 6-12 months and beyond! Follow on milks seem to go on forever these days. :laughing:

mandysmonkeys
03-03-2009, 03:26 PM
Current Mindees mum supplies me with 1 bottle of cooled boiled water, which I warm and add powder to before he has it. Didn't realise the water shouldn't be left more than half an hour!

New mindee's mum asked what to do about bottles, I suggested above methos as the milk shouldn't be left for too long and guideline say we should make yp as we go along. She didn't understand what I ment said and makes up her babies 4 bottles every morning at 6 for the day. I did show her one of the sectioned off containers and she said wouldn't it be easier I just gave you a tub of milk every week. So I have agreed to strelize and make up her bottles everyday. so I think I will mke uo through the day as I go along after this thread.