PDA

View Full Version : Controlled crying/clingy babies?

mustbemad
02-02-2008, 07:48 PM
Hi ya!

Re original thread 'Clingy Babies' (which I can't actually find at the mo, so unable to quote OP, sorry)

I have had a few 'new mum/first baby syndrome' parents over the years, and have had to cope with the hours of endless crying that results, and yes!......
breast-fed babies always find it tough, poor things, despite my advice to 'return to work Mum' that its best to find alternative ways to comfort 6-8 month old baby, if she wants to give him/her the best chance of settling in with me!......... didn't mean to ramble......:rolleyes:

Seriously, I do try to support parents and aim to offer common sense advice to help them e.g. try not to respond immediately to every whim and its ok for baby to cry a little before they go to sleep, so they learn to sleep/play independently as they mature, etc.

My question....... getting to the point..... is 'controlled crying' the correct terminology for the above? Then next time (hopefully not for a while!) I can blind them with science!! :laughing:

Any info on controlled crying gratefully received. thanx in anticipation of replies......:blush:
Wx

Trouble
02-02-2008, 07:50 PM
my cm friend had a baby who cried all the time and it does wear off.:clapping:

sarah707
02-02-2008, 08:07 PM
I first read about it in Dr Christopher Green's book 'Babies!'

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Babies-Parents-Guide-Enjoying-Babys/dp/0743220978

http://www.play.com/Books/Books/4-/206874/Babies-/Product.html

I used it for my children and they responded within a couple of days, but it takes longer if the children are entrenched in bad habits.

You can normally borrow this book from the Library - he has also written other books in equally good humour, including a very informative one about adhd and 'Toddler Taming' which is excellent :D

deeb66
02-02-2008, 08:56 PM
I first read about it in Dr Christopher Green's book 'Babies!'

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Babies-Parents-Guide-Enjoying-Babys/dp/0743220978

http://www.play.com/Books/Books/4-/206874/Babies-/Product.html

I used it for my children and they responded within a couple of days, but it takes longer if the children are entrenched in bad habits.

You can normally borrow this book from the Library - he has also written other books in equally good humour, including a very informative one about adhd and 'Toddler Taming' which is excellent :D

Yes....I liked his books too.

I have still got Toddler Taming and used it when Jack was a toddler....he is now 12 - yikes!!!

mustbemad
02-02-2008, 08:56 PM
Thanx for links sarah. I will look in library this week.

I know they soon learn that we are different to Mum and respond positively to the boundaries we set, but anything that makes the transition from home to our settings easier has got to be beneficial to baby, childminder and other mindees! I feel really sorry for my other two 2 yr old mindees at the mo. At least I can put my ear plugs in when it gets too much (only joking). :laughing:
Daft thing is that this baby is really strong-willed and crying is more to do with temper than owt else!!
He has a great time when he s not whingeing! :littleangel:

Wx

sar
03-02-2008, 04:28 PM
I got a 2 yrs old that crys all the time she is a hip hugger like to be carried but i cant do it all the time slowly she is learning i can now go for a wee on my own lol its hard tho mum is working with me so thats really nice for a change as well .

mustbemad
04-02-2008, 08:14 PM
Hi sar

A 2 yr old cling-on?!! :panic:
You deserve a gold medal hun!
Good luck and hope she continues to improve. :D

Wx

sar
04-02-2008, 08:28 PM
well today i will say she was better had a wee and did dinner lol i was so happy

mustbemad
04-02-2008, 09:04 PM
must be something in the air - my clingy mindee was better today also! Think he's realised that 'raging' doesn't get my attention, but smiling does!
Yay! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
Wx

Cheeky Chops
04-02-2008, 09:16 PM
a mindee of mine used to cry for 20mins everytime I put her down for a nap, that was 3 weeks ago, now she doesnt cry at all and take about 10mins to drop off! so i think its different with every child, my mindee has obviously realised its naptime and goes to sleep fine no probs!! hurray for me!!

Banana
05-02-2008, 01:53 PM
That book -toddler taming by christopher greene. Really good.

Another good book is Kid Wrangling by Kaz cooke. I swear by this book, cos its so funny aswell.

Its a nightmare having children/babies that cry all the time

Good luck with it and let us know about any improvements

x

Delly
05-02-2008, 02:09 PM
Yes....I liked his books too.

I have still got Toddler Taming and used it when Jack was a toddler....he is now 12 - yikes!!!

cool cheers for the link, i have just ordered a copy on play for £4.32 !!
:jump for joy:

Cheeky Chops
05-02-2008, 05:20 PM
I have this!! its funny and makes easy reading !! x

mustbemad
05-02-2008, 08:20 PM
OK folks - update time!

Just had 2 days with baby and he s been brilliant! :littleangel:

Message has def sunk in - 'No I am not going to pick you up every time you cry. Yes you can go to sleep without being cuddled all the time!
And yes, you can even settle back to sleep when you wake up crying after 10 mins, (even tho' desperately tired) and then sleep for one hour!

Mum has realised she was making a rod for her back and thanked me for helping her to get him into a better routine and habits. And baby is more confident and less fractious.

So... he is now off the transfer list, mums got her life back (sort of) and I'm enjoying the job again. Yay! :clapping:

Fingers xed.......:rolleyes:

Wx

Tily Bud
05-02-2008, 08:26 PM
OK folks - update time!

Just had 2 days with baby and he s been brilliant! :littleangel:

Message has def sunk in - 'No I am not going to pick you up every time you cry. Yes you can go to sleep without being cuddled all the time!
And yes, you can even settle back to sleep when you wake up crying after 10 mins, (even tho' desperately tired) and then sleep for one hour!

Mum has realised she was making a rod for her back and thanked me for helping her to get him into a better routine and habits. And baby is more confident and less fractious.

So... he is now off the transfer list, mums got her life back (sort of) and I'm enjoying the job again. Yay! :clapping:

Fingers xed.......:rolleyes:

Wx

Well done, good for you xx :thumbsup:

Twinkles
05-02-2008, 09:40 PM
Yes well done you....I love it when a plan comes together!

Rubybubbles
05-02-2008, 09:56 PM
I'm going to adimt to readin Gina ford contented baby now, her method of cc worked for me, although you have to be really strong!

With mindies though it's a different matter, I work along with mum/dads wishes, today the baby didn't sleep much as his teeth are popping out everywhere bless him, so we have a book reading day;)

deeb66
06-02-2008, 10:10 AM
Yes well done you....I love it when a plan comes together!

Yes...so do I - well done