PDA

View Full Version : Really quiet at the mo - the phone never rings!

welshgirl
02-03-2009, 09:33 PM
Is it just me or are other people finding things quiet enquiry wise at the moment? My mindee is leaving me in June, and I am going into panic mode! This time last year I was turning people away. But I have not had any phone calls for about 5 months! I've advertised the usual places CIS, local shops, schools etc, but still nothing.

Pipsqueak
02-03-2009, 09:35 PM
Yep its awful in my place as well. Not had an enquiry for 9 months (not via CIS anyway and nothing else serious)

miffy
02-03-2009, 09:37 PM
Hope it picks up for you soon :)

Miffy xx

tulip0803
02-03-2009, 09:38 PM
Nothing here either. Some people in the village have "asked" but they aren't serious 2 do not want to go back after maternity & one doesn't have a job:( .

Only have 1 mindee and his hours have just been cut to 5 1/2 a week:(

I have a part-time job at the minute (which finishes at the end of May:eek: )

welshgirl
02-03-2009, 09:52 PM
I started minding last year and honestly, I was getting calls almost every week and turning people away even after putting my vacancies as 0 on CIS. I'm wondering if people are cutting costs at moment and getting family/friends to look after the kids.

tulip0803
02-03-2009, 09:54 PM
I started minding last year and honestly, I was getting calls almost every week and turning people away even after putting my vacancies as 0 on CIS. I'm wondering if people are cutting costs at moment and getting family/friends to look after the kids.

That's why my LO's hour's have been cut -grandparents will be looking after him:(

welshgirl
02-03-2009, 10:05 PM
hmm, I just have my fingers crossed smething will turn up. I'm not going to be able to pay my bills otherwise! I can't work part time as I have 1 year old of my own, and can't work evenings because my otherhalf works different shifts every week, which could be nights, days or weekends. I don't have any family around to help out with my own childcare :( To top it all off my otherhalf is being made redundant, his place of work is closing down Sept next year.

fionamal
02-03-2009, 10:13 PM
Its quiet up here too. Last year I had a waiting list and this year theres just nothing. You get the odd call here and there but then nothing comes of it or they just never turn up.

aly
02-03-2009, 10:56 PM
Is it just me or are other people finding things quiet enquiry wise at the moment? My mindee is leaving me in June, and I am going into panic mode! This time last year I was turning people away. But I have not had any phone calls for about 5 months! I've advertised the usual places CIS, local shops, schools etc, but still nothing.
Hiya

where abouts are you?

Shirlwith3
03-03-2009, 06:35 AM
I was feeling just like you in Jan I had 1 minde left in Jan & my other one left last frid then when 1/2 term started I had intotal 5 enquires 2 never came either becasue they found someone near & the other just never showed, I am now have 3 left one is waiting to hear back from a job she applied for, one is seeing me in a couple of weeks as she is moving here next week the other is seeing her boss tomorrow about what days she is to return to after being on maternity leave. But is has gone quiet again though
Shirl

charleyfarley
03-03-2009, 06:47 AM
The last call I had was August last year but couldn't take either of them and tbh I stopped advertising as I kept getting calls for under 5s even though I have no spaces .

I have just started to advertise again now but no phone calls right now.

I hope things pick up for you soon. Sorry to hear about your ohs job too, I'm sure there are people here who know what that's like.

Carol xx

angeldelight
03-03-2009, 07:07 AM
Hope it picks up for you soon

Angel xx

Polka Dots
03-03-2009, 10:10 AM
I'm getting a bit concerned in case I don't get any mindees.

The local council have recently discontinued the play scheme/holiday day care facility not far from me. I'm hoping to pickup some over 8s during school holidays when the time comes.

Ripeberry
03-03-2009, 10:24 AM
Maybe we should market ourselves differently, go for short-term care. Give the parents a few hours once a week to themselves, even the grandparents might like that?
When i used a childminder it was initialy so i could do some college work, then i just carried on with it (5hrs once a week), it meant i could go out and do volunteer work in the community even though i was a stay at home mum.
It is very hard, i've advertised everywhere and some business cards have been taken but no calls and no e-mails :(
I'm meeting up with some other childminders later this week and maybe i might get some enquiries from them?
I'm a bit stuck as i initially was only going to offer Saturday care (by appointment) to regular parents who used me during the week.
But i may have to do it as a regular thing, not so bad in the winter but by summertime my husband will be really fed up when we can't go camping! :mad:
Because i know that is one thing that is needed around here ,weekend care.

huggableshelly
03-03-2009, 10:59 AM
I'm still ok for now though i lose 2 in july ... one to senior school the other to fulltime school as he doesnt need before and afterschool care.

i have another after schoolie starting in sept which takes up the chance to offer a fulltime place to anyone but she is a sibbling to one I already have only she is in fulltime nursery right now as I couldnt offer her a place.

I'll be placing an advert at school nursery soon so all new parents can see i can fofer 9 - 3 care which may help those who only need morning or afternoon care until their child goes fulltime.

other than that though its pretty quiet on the phonecall side, other minders in my area are losing children due to parents being made redundant or choosing wrap around care ins chool instead.

peanuts
03-03-2009, 11:20 AM
it was very quiet last year here but his year ive had numerous phone calls, hope it keeps up although im unable to offer full time at the moment.

marion123
03-03-2009, 11:25 AM
it was quiet here but im starting to get phone calls i cant take anymore on as mindee number 1 who is 3 mum is due to give birth in june and im having her its a little girl cant wait :)

geraldine72
03-03-2009, 11:33 AM
we're still busy thank god although lost 2 because of pay offs but still got few on waiting list and still getting calls not as often though. hope you all pick up soon :)