PDA

View Full Version : student Finance

jackandjill
02-03-2009, 06:55 PM
Hi all, just wondering has anyone ever been paid through Student Finance.
If so what were there experiences about being paid on time?

Background:-
I have a parent starting at the end of march full time, she is a student nurse working at the local hospital.
She has one child who will be coming fulltime 50+ hours a week. She says that she will be paying my through student finance but I am really worried that i dont get paid and that there will be many problems, She is a lone parent so has no other income so will depend on this funding to pay childcare.

I will look forward to hearing your views.

Thanks Sarah

littlesprogs
02-03-2009, 07:06 PM
I've just applied for student finance because i'm starting a nursing course in september and from what i could gather they would pay the money directly to me and i would pay the nursery.

However the first payment to me will be late because they cant issue it until i actually start but then they would pay on time from there. I dont know if this will be the same with your parent though because she is already a student nurse whereas i am a new student nurse iyswim?

sarah707
02-03-2009, 07:06 PM
I've never been paid by them, but was by social services ... that was a nightmare.

The trick is not to bank on the money until it's there.

Just accept it might not be reliable and budget to make sure you can cover your bills without it.

Then if it doesn't come in or comes in late you will be ok.

littlesprogs
02-03-2009, 07:07 PM
Oh and i think they pay it every term rather than every month so she should have the money way in advance most of the time

brillminder
02-03-2009, 07:12 PM
if she is signing the contracts its her problem to see you r paid in time , you could ask for a personal deposit to cover for any delays?

tinkerbelle
03-03-2009, 07:43 AM
I've just applied for student finance because i'm starting a nursing course in september and from what i could gather they would pay the money directly to me and i would pay the nursery.

However the first payment to me will be late because they cant issue it until i actually start but then they would pay on time from there. I dont know if this will be the same with your parent though because she is already a student nurse whereas i am a new student nurse iyswim?

yes thats correct but be aware that with student finance the parent is able to pay for a relative to have the child instead of you.
i had a mum who i was minding for and the hours kept dwindling each week
i signed for £600 per month and it went down to £125 ish she tried to tell me she didnt know her timetable etc and rota changed every week i phoned uni and was told the rota didnt change but mum could pay childcare to any relative without a problem i had them remove my reg number and refused to have the kids anymore as if the taxman found out the amount id signed to id be investigated as wages were a lot less
they also pay termly in advance from when you start no wonder at xmas she got a new car :censored:

manjay
03-03-2009, 07:58 AM
I have a parent who has childcare funded by student finance and it works great for me. It must work differently in each area though as here care can only be proided through a registered setting. She is paid termly and pays me termly. I just make sure I only spend a month at a time iyswim ( i look after 3 siblings so it is a fair amount). The only tiny drawback sometimes is that the money is paid when they see she is back at uni for the term so for example it would be due on 1st Jan but money not received until 12th. It only happens a couple of times a year and she is one of my best parents.

Mollymop
03-03-2009, 08:01 AM
I get payment for one mindee from a college. Mum is on a course and they pay me directly each term. I get paid in advance but usually have to wait about 3 weeks after I have sent the college my invoice.

littlesprogs
03-03-2009, 10:17 AM
yes thats correct but be aware that with student finance the parent is able to pay for a relative to have the child instead of you.
i had a mum who i was minding for and the hours kept dwindling each week
i signed for £600 per month and it went down to £125 ish she tried to tell me she didnt know her timetable etc and rota changed every week i phoned uni and was told the rota didnt change but mum could pay childcare to any relative without a problem i had them remove my reg number and refused to have the kids anymore as if the taxman found out the amount id signed to id be investigated as wages were a lot less
they also pay termly in advance from when you start no wonder at xmas she got a new car :censored:

How recent was this? On the forms now you have to get a registered setting to sign it to say they are providing care and provide there number etc

jackandjill
03-03-2009, 01:25 PM
Thanks Everyone for your replies it has really helped, Mum is coming round thursday to sort all paper work out.
Will tell her that she is responsable for paying me on time.
Hopefully everything will go fine.

Thanks Again

amirose
03-03-2009, 01:27 PM
Thanks Everyone for your replies it has really helped, Mum is coming round thursday to sort all paper work out.
Will tell her that she is responsable for paying me on time.
Hopefully everything will go fine.

Thanks Again

Good luck :thumbsup: