PDA

View Full Version : Shopping with mindee

Flowerpot
02-03-2009, 06:39 PM
Hi all,

I have a new mindee starting this week - he's 10 months old and it means I will now be minding 10 hours per day 5 days per week. With this in mind, I was wondering what others' feelings are on me taking him and my own daughter with me to do the weekly shop on a Friday? I find outdoor activities with under 2's a bit limited and can't see how this could be a negative experience, and of course would ask permission from the mother first.
Similarly, the boy is 1/2 Italian, and I have Italian in-laws, would it be deemed ok for me to occasionally to take him to their house which is quite nearby for me?
Thanks
FP

Pipsqueak
02-03-2009, 06:50 PM
Not sure about a full weekly shop but in all honesty I can't really see the harm in popping to the shops. You can extend and encourage (!!! lol) KUW from this, incorporate numeracy and all sorts.

As for visiting the inlaws - provided you have permission and risk assessment and you follow your safeguarding (ie you don't leave child alone with others etc) then I think again that would be a very positive experience culturally

haribo
02-03-2009, 07:00 PM
i always shop with my mindees ,at least 3 times a week we go and they love it, its part of our routine and we often then have lunch in the cafe .its one of the advantages over nursery anyway doing things they would do with mum.i often visit my mum too and they love that cos she has rabbits in her garden :)

sarah707
02-03-2009, 07:04 PM
Going to visit people and going to the shops for fruit and veg for lunch or some breadsticks and milk for snack is fine and meeting the child's needs.

I do not think Ofsted would be happy about you taking him to do your full weekly shop... even with parents written permission.

Sorry if that's not what you were wanting to hear :(

Dragonfly
02-03-2009, 07:05 PM
Yes, I would agree with Haribo. :clapping: childminder not a nursery.

Hebs
02-03-2009, 07:05 PM
i go shopping with my mindee but it's usually for art and craft supplies or toys.

i do my weekly food shop online :thumbsup:

Spangles
02-03-2009, 07:07 PM
I would agree with Sarah I'm afraid.

I think doing a full weekly shop with a mindee is not really on. To pop out for a few bits every now and again and make it a learning activity and fun is one thing but to spend an hour or so in the supermarket getting weekly goods is perhaps something that should be done in our own time.

Could you do your shop at the weekend or online maybe?

Happy Feet
02-03-2009, 07:10 PM
i do my weekly shop online and think its fantastic! can highly recommend it!

i don't think there's anything wrong in getting odd bits with the little ones but if your supermarket is anything like my local one it wouldn't be a fun experience for them!!!

SimplyLucy
02-03-2009, 07:17 PM
I can't see a problem with doing a weekly shop with mindees.

It's all part of learning. I make up shopping list cards and the mindee plays a kind of bingo card as we go around. I get them to help count, carrots, apples etc. And yes you can do this with a 10 month old, just talk to them all the way round, pointing things out.

My inspector saw my shopping list cards and didn't make a negative comment about them. The children use them are home with the play food too. She could see from diary's that I take the children shopping now and again.

The only thing I'd suggest is to shop on different days each week, so different mindees go with you, that way they would only probably have to go once a month.

When I first had mindees in Spetember 2007 I didn't have the option to shop online as they didn't deliever to my area! I now have Tesco and Sainsburys but also have Wednesday school hours off, so I tend to go then!

OrlandoBelle
02-03-2009, 07:21 PM
I don't get ANY time to myself. I childmind from 7:30am til 6pm and then I babysit for a lady from 7:00pm- midnight 5 nights a week. I don't have any option other than to take my mindee with me to do the weekly shop. I think it is a good learning experience for them. They can help to put things in the trolley, look at the different fruits and vegetables, weigh them out on the scales, I can ask them what colours things are and what numbers the prices are. I'm never longer than an hour and as Haribo said, it gives us an advantage over a nursery giving the children real life experiences.

Alibali
02-03-2009, 08:35 PM
Yes I shop with my mindees, they eat too! Infact my thursday mindees know it's lunch in morrisons after nursery and they really look forward to it. We also visit my parents weekly and my comments on my recent questionnaires were all very positive about the relationship they have with them:)

Hebs
02-03-2009, 08:37 PM
i don't think it's right either

if we were working for an employer we would HAVE to do our shopping after work or at weekends.

just cos we can go during the day does not mean we should, well not a full weekly shop anyway, fine getting a few bits and bobs and learning the kids along the way, my kids are 12 and 9 and i hate shopping with them nevermind young mindees :laughing:

LisaH
02-03-2009, 08:39 PM
I take my mindees to the supermarket with me too. I work 11 hours a day and don't want to go after work. We are never there longer than 30/40 mins anyway and the children enjoy it. They carry the shopping list and help to choose fruit and veg and what we are going to have for lunch. It's educational:)

brillminder
02-03-2009, 08:40 PM
I take my little ones shopping and if there were any problems i would cut it short, lots of talking about products etc as we go around the store and they get a treat if that age and choose snacks etc, help pick up things and often people comment on how well behave the children are usually one, its a fab learning environment realytoo :) I think it each to there own depend on distance children temperant etc, you have to judge each trip, some times i just think no not today try it and see for your self

mushpea
02-03-2009, 08:49 PM
I don't see anything wrong with taking the mindees on a weekly shoping trip as long as you involve them in some way so they don't get bord and so they get some sort of learning experiance from the trip. at the moment i work 10 hours a day 4 days a week so i don't have too but this may soon be 5 days and when i did work 5 days a week i used to take the children with me during the week as they loved it. plus its a heck of a lot easier than taking my kids with me who are 8 and 10yrs:D
Seriously though as childminders we have the oportinity to teach the children life experiances such as shopping, cooking, washing (yes mine help match the socks!) this is all part of the flexibility of our jobs.
the children i had loved counting out the fruit and veg, taking turns in putting stuff in the trolley, helping put the stuff on the belt, picking snacks and youghurst for the week, helping pick which type of bread to have, there are endless learning opportunitys with this as is with visiting the inlaws, in your case there is culture they can learn aswell.
Really don't understand the problem with taking the children shopping, infact think of what learning they are missing out on if you dont.
like the idea of visiting the cafe too :D

louloudi
02-03-2009, 09:16 PM
Seriously though as childminders we have the oportinity to teach the children life experiances such as shopping, cooking, washing (yes mine help match the socks!) this is all part of the flexibility of our jobs.
the children i had loved counting out the fruit and veg, taking turns in putting stuff in the trolley, helping put the stuff on the belt, picking snacks and youghurst for the week, helping pick which type of bread to have, there are endless learning opportunitys with this as is with visiting the inlaws, in your case there is culture they can learn aswell.
Really don't understand the problem with taking the children shopping, infact think of what learning they are missing out on if you dont.
like the idea of visiting the cafe too :D

totally agree, I take mine now and again, sometimes we go and buy lunch, they come with me to the bank and I take them to my mothers to see the dog as they don't have pets.
I agree with the washing mushpeas the lo loves filling and emptying the washer. If i've got it on I'll leave it till he comes so he can pull everything out...sounds a bit made but he loves it:)

Jules27
02-03-2009, 09:25 PM
I don't see anything wrong in taking mindees to do the weekly shop. Its educational and you can turn it into a game. When your working 10 -12 hrs a day the last thing you want to do is take a trip to the supermarket. Yes there is on line shopping which I do do sometimes, but I like to look at the reduced items esp if i'm stuck for meal ideas for the family. As for shopping at the weekend - forget it. I went this weekend for the 1st time in months - NEVER again, was in queue for an hour!!:laughing:

Mollymop
02-03-2009, 09:36 PM
I do my weekly shop at 6pm on thursdays when mindees have gone home

BUT - I think there is nothing wrong with taking your mindees shopping with you!! No way.

When I have finished my shopping on a thurs night I leave all the tins and non-chilled/frozen foods in the shoppping bags for the mindees that come on a Friday to help me pack away. They love it and it is educational. Ihave even used it in one of my obs.

I think shopping in all, is educational.

One of my "fussy" parents told me she took her dd out of a nursery because they never go anywhere. I can imagine she would love to hear her DD went shopping with me - picking out the foods and helping me at the check out

I think it is brilliant for them.

As long as your parents don't mind I can't see why anyone would have anything against it

Twinkles
02-03-2009, 09:45 PM
I wouldn't choose to do a weekly shop with the mindees - not for their benefit but for mine :D I don't want the hassle of getting round the shops with mindees in tow.

I do make a point of going to the shops and or market for a few bits and bobs now and then for reasons others have said - real life experiences etc.

I think you need to find out the parents opinion on this one and if need be try online shopping.

Angela234
02-03-2009, 09:51 PM
I would only take mindees shopping for small top ups fruit for snacks or as on pancake day we went shopping to chose pancake toppings.

I work 11 hour days and go down my mums and sit with her every evening for 2 hours usually go tesco about 8pm wed or Thurs.

Angela

nikim
02-03-2009, 10:13 PM
when i used to just mind 1 child during school hours i always took her to do the weekly shop i didnt have any choice as i didnt have access to the internet and her parents saw it as a positive ,because whenever they took her she was so well behaved and her mum said she was sure it was because i made it a fun outing for her ,i wouldnt do it know though as i now do it online but they still have fun helping me pack it away when it arrives :clapping:

Eileen322
02-03-2009, 10:20 PM
It would be my idea of hell!:eek: , its bad enough with my own children!! I shop online and will occassionaly buy from the local shop things We may have run out of but thats it!!
Ex

LOOPYLISA
02-03-2009, 10:36 PM
I don.t see anything wrong with it, but probably not a full shop, hubby is very good at doing the shopping though so i will prob send him, sad thing is he loves it :D

haribo
02-03-2009, 10:36 PM
as nikim said, it can be great for parents cos children learn how to behave in a supermarket lol maybe those you see on a weekend running riot are those who have been at nursery all day ,all week:panic: :panic: a few of my parents have commented on how when they have been with me a couple of months become better behaved in all scenarios lol thats because i expect to be able to take them anywhere:)

tinkerbelle
03-03-2009, 07:34 AM
i take my mindees shopping and yesterday it was a full shop
im not going to stop taking them either as they enjoy it and help by fetching items and putting the shopping on the conveyor.
i get more comments from people saying how nice it is to see children so well behaved when shopping, the mindees hear this and think its brill.
my mums dont have time to take the kids shopping as they work full time so they do internet shopping and they love the fact their child still gets to go to the supermarket.
i never find it stressfull when taking them ive been to my local tesco with a triple buggy and a buggy board on the back (4 under 5's) still had no problems.
we also head into our local town on a friday and do the anking, library and generally have a walk around the park
i dont see anything wrong withit if the parents are happy then so am i.

angeldelight
03-03-2009, 07:38 AM
I agree with everyone

We go to the shops regular

BUT a full weekly shop ??? Crikey I have enough putting up with my hubby moaning and groaning and asking " why do I need this and that " so never mind a group of kids too

I will just stick to going shopping for a few things haha

Angel xx

haribo
03-03-2009, 08:56 AM
i can see it would be a hassle if you had a lot of kids or any that wouldnt walk but i only go if its manageable ie now i have a nice light double buggy with a big tray underneath . i dont see how it could be frowned on by ofstead really -its not a negative experience its fun and also helps kids be part of the community.x

OrlandoBelle
03-03-2009, 09:15 AM
When I used to live in a different area of Northamptonshire my son used to go to a childminder and she once took my son with her to the salon where she had her legs waxed!!! Where does that fit in with the EYFS?? :rolleyes: Mind you, that was before the EYFS was introduced. Needless to say I stopped using her shortly afterwards! I think a bit of harmless shopping is fun and educational.

wendywu
03-03-2009, 09:17 AM
I have always been told when this question has been asked on courses. Dont do the full weekly shop with mindees, but you can pick up a few bits for a cooking activities or to make a birthday cake.

I do my weekly shop online and half the deliverly fee goes through my accounts. No need foe any one to have to go and do it themselves nowadays.:)

rickysmiths
03-03-2009, 09:38 AM
i don't think it's right either

i[COLOR="Red"]f we were working for an employer we would HAVE to do our shopping after work or at weekends.[/COLOR

just cos we can go during the day does not mean we should, well not a full weekly shop anyway, fine getting a few bits and bobs and learning the kids along the way, my kids are 12 and 9 and i hate shopping with them nevermind young mindees :laughing:

I'm sorry I completly disagree. The whole point is that I don't work for an employer I work for myself.

I definately take mine shopping and I do a monthly shop!!!!

The parents and the children love. I go to Costco, Ikea,Lakeland ( they love having lunch out as well). My local market the butcher, baker and (no not the candlestick maker!!!! haven't found one of those yet:blush: ) the fish van. We make it fun, the older ones have a small list with pictures on as well as the words and they look for things and put them in the trolly.:clapping:

They help to sort the socks, dust, put the washing on the line, they even have their own line. We do gardening, clean the windows etc etc.:clapping:
I have on occassion taken one mindee with me to the Dentist, Hairdresser and the doctor. (unfortunately our doctor does not work evenings or weekends )

I have three full times 1 10hrs a day 5 days a week and I have had her since she was 5 mths old she is now 3+. If I hadn't given her some of these experiences of life during the week her poor parents would be run ragged at the weekend trying to fit everything in.:eek: :eek: The others are here long hours as well. Doing these things give the children a very good sense of the wider community in of which they are part and to which they belong.

This is surely one of the main reasons parents choose Childminders over a Day Nursery. Because of the unique way in which we can provide real life experiences. It is definately why my parents choose me to look after their children and didn't want them in a Day Nursery. :jump for joy: :jump for joy:

breezy
03-03-2009, 09:50 AM
I think it depends what you make of the shopping experience for the children, I couldnt cope with mindees on a weekly shop as i hate shopping anyway, but i take them to get bread, milk fruit etc or cooking ingredients and they make lists, get products, carry baskets and pay for it all with their pocket money, ( i made that bit up), my advice would be to get parents permission and make it into a positive experience for the kids even linking to eyfs as evidence etc.

Bushpig
03-03-2009, 10:10 AM
I have 4 under 3s, so wouldn't dream of taking them on a big shop... that's what Ocado is for :blush: They love it when he arrives, and they *help* me by passing me safe items for me to put away.

We have a little shop, a postoffice, a vegetable shop etc. within a 5 minute walk, and we often go there, nearly every day, for fresh bread, milk etc. and they choose the fruit we eat (I've shown the older ones how to choose fruit) etc. I think this is fantastic for them as part of their learning. But it's close by, which, with all the lil ones I have, is a necessity. A big shop would be a nightmare for me.

huggableshelly
03-03-2009, 10:19 AM
I take mindees to town for stock shopping, they each have a list of things to remember and shops we need to pop into, if I go after school I have 6 children with me but all over 5, if I go during school most of the time i'm on my own.

the older ones like it and we go into the poun shop where they can all choose one thing each that isnt on our list, their one thing usually goes home with them too.

I wouldnt dream of doing a full shop with any mindees, I dont even do it with my own children but then I have a wonderful husband who loves to cook and enjoys shopping too so other than top up shopping I dont actually do any main shopping at all.

mandy moo
03-03-2009, 11:05 AM
Have to agree Rickys,
Can be a very postitive experiance, but then most of my lot are in school or nursery so I would only have the 18mth old with me and he is as good as gold.
Its probley the only time I get to myself, as it were, because I refuse to take my own two now, as things end up in the trolley that I know I havent put in there:laughing:
also LO doesnt know what sweets and chocolate are yet:laughing:
When He does I guess itll haveto be on line shopping:(

venus89
03-03-2009, 11:45 AM
You've sparked quite a controversy!!

I regularly go to do a quick top up - we can walk to the local supermarket in less than 10 minutes so if I need milk etc I go and grab what I need on the way to school/back from toddler group etc. In my service statement it says that i will do the kinds of things mum/Dad do at home (or other responsible adult :D ), including going to the shops. Most of mine are too little to involve in any particularly educational sense (yes, we can count the apples, put them in the ba, talk about their colours but to be honest as they're in the pushchair they're often asleep!) but if they get older I want to employ the shopping bingo idea someone mentioned.

tinkerbelle
03-03-2009, 12:24 PM
When I used to live in a different area of Northamptonshire my son used to go to a childminder and she once took my son with her to the salon where she had her legs waxed!!! Where does that fit in with the EYFS?? :rolleyes: Mind you, that was before the EYFS was introduced. Needless to say I stopped using her shortly afterwards! I think a bit of harmless shopping is fun and educational.

OMG :eek: i would never dream of getting my legs waxed with a mindee in tow surely thats not allowed

breezy
03-03-2009, 12:30 PM
OMG :eek: i would never dream of getting my legs waxed with a mindee in tow surely thats not allowed

no but your bikini lines ok :eek: :eek: :eek: :laughing:

LOOPYLISA
03-03-2009, 12:41 PM
no but your bikini lines ok :eek: :eek: :eek: :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

FizzysFriends
03-03-2009, 12:46 PM
I wouldn't do a full shop with mindees, I think its something that should be done in your own time. We do go to shops to get top up stuff or if we are working on a project.

mandysmonkeys
03-03-2009, 03:14 PM
I don't to a full weekly shop with the little boy I mind, he's only part time so I do it after I drop him off. I don't see the problem in it if it is made exciting for the children but I know I wouldn't do it on a regular basis as I would spend too much and it takes for ever to get round.

Another point when my son was going to his childminder when he was around a year old she started taking him to the supermarket weekly on a friday morning, I didn't mind as he was the only one she had on this day and i wanted him to get the family care experience anyway, but he wasn't just with the childminder my mum had him as well 2 days a week and she also used to take him to the supermarket once a week on a thurday morning and when I finished work on a thursday I used to take him every afternoonon.
So some weeks my poor little boy spent around 5 hours in a shopping trolly seat.

mandysmonkeys
03-03-2009, 03:16 PM
I always treated him to lunch out on a Thurday though.

Mrs M
03-03-2009, 05:18 PM
I would never take mindees for a weekly shop. Of course if you only have one mindee then safety isn't so much of an issue if they can sit in the trolley but if you have three under three I don't feel it's safe. Also, children want to be playing, not stuck in a supermarket. I agree that we have to nip out to get the odd bits but I wouldn't even put my own son through a weekly shop. Hubby sometimes does it (and why shouldn't he?!) and I sometimes do it physically or online. If I were working in an office five days per week I'd have to do it in the evening or weekend.

OrlandoBelle
03-03-2009, 05:19 PM

I know, tell me about it. I thought she was there to take care of my son, not swanning off to salons during the day having her legs waxed! On the days I didn't need her, but still had to pay her she would go off to work at a supermarket. Surely she should have still kept the place open for him just incase I needed her since I was paying her. I think she just did childminding for a bit of money on the side. I never had a contract, no receipts for payments or anything. Once when I paid her she said "Ooh, I can go and get my hair cut now".... that really got my goat up. I was a struggling single mum at the time and it was really hard affording to pay her. It just felt as though I was paying for her hair cut and not my son's care!!! She never had any toys in her house and used to drag the mindees around town, clothes shopping all day and they had to walk miles so she could park in a free car park! Grrr...:angry:

Sorry for going off on one!! I'm so glad my son is at home with me now. I'm a nice childminder:) I would never take a child shopping if I knew they were unhappy. The one mindee I take shopping with me is 3 and he loves it. I also give him a list with pictures to find and he sometimes "pays the lady". It's a great experience for them I think.

LOOPYLISA
03-03-2009, 05:21 PM
I take mindees to town for stock shopping, they each have a list of things to remember and shops we need to pop into, if I go after school I have 6 children with me but all over 5, if I go during school most of the time i'm on my own.

the older ones like it and we go into the poun shop where they can all choose one thing each that isnt on our list, their one thing usually goes home with them too.

I wouldnt dream of doing a full shop with any mindees, I dont even do it with my own children but then I have a wonderful husband who loves to cook and enjoys shopping too so other than top up shopping I dont actually do any main shopping at all.

My hubby loves cooking and he does the shopping if i can.t :blush:

wendywu
03-03-2009, 05:26 PM
I think the crux of the matter is what is Ofsteds view on the matter.:)

manjay
03-03-2009, 06:09 PM
I think the crux of the matter is what is Ofsteds view on the matter.:)

Suppose it depends on what side of the bed the Inspector got out of on the day you asked:rolleyes:

A full weekly shop is not something I would do with mindees. Apart from the fact I usually have 3 under 5s so couldn't really squash them all in the trolley, it takes me half an hour to drive to a supermarket and at least an hour to do a full shop it would take up the whole morning. I can think of much more pleasurable things to do. I feel my mindees learn enough about the pleasure of shopping from the visits we do to the local ones and have to be honest as a parent I wouldn't be happy with my childminder doing their weekly shop whilst looking after my child.

Alibali
03-03-2009, 06:21 PM
Here is a quote from the SCMA (scottich childminders association) website:

Childminding Or Centre-Based Care?
Being cared for by a childminder gives youngsters the opportunity to learn from real-life experiences. Everyday activities like shopping trips, school runs, family mealtimes and visits to the park teach children valuable life skills that may not be acquired so readily in centre-based care. These activities also educate children about their local environment and community.

wendywu
03-03-2009, 06:22 PM
So if a parent put in a complaint that you were doing your weekly shop with mindees, would it be upheld or not.:panic:

I would not want to put it to the test because i know what i have been told in the past. :)

wendywu
03-03-2009, 06:24 PM
But we are not allowed to do our full blown house work or the ironing while we have mindees.:)

Hebs
03-03-2009, 06:33 PM
I'm sorry I completly disagree. The whole point is that I don't work for an employer I work for myself.

yes we work for ourselves BUT we are being paid to provide care for the children NOT to do our weekly shop :(

i think we need to get Ofsteds veiw on this

mushpea
03-03-2009, 06:55 PM
yes we work for ourselves BUT we are being paid to provide care for the children NOT to do our weekly shop :(

i think we need to get Ofsteds veiw on this

I fail to see how going shopping stops us from caring for the children. we have already explained how much learning can be gained from this. I though the whole idea of a being a childminder was to give real life experiances not be stuck indoors or the garden as a nursery would be. My mindees eat lunch dinner snacks and somtimes breakfast, i don't see any harm in showing them how we get the food, if a parent complained about it to me then I would tell them they would have to provide all the childrens drinks and food as if i cant go shopiing how can i feed them? and some parents choose a particular minder because they provide food so they dont then have to go home and cook for their child making them even later to bed.

loocyloo
03-03-2009, 07:07 PM
i don't generally take the children shopping with me, apart from quick trips for milk, fruit etc.

but today i needed to try out/buy a new car seat, and needed the children (2 x 2yrs old) with me, to see if i could do it up, with a child in it (and/or the other seats in the car!!) so we went to mothercare and had fun trying all the seats out. (children safely in car whilst we did so) we then paid for the seat and arranged to have it delivered as not actually in stock !!! (we also had a look/talk/play with the toys!) then i planned on going to the coffee shop, and told the children that after that, we were popping to the supermarket to get some fruit, milk and flour. they decided they wanted to do the shopping first! so, good as gold, they held on to the trolley, helped chose fruit/veg and other things we saw and 'needed', lots of conversation about healthy eating/colour/shape/number etc! they helped unload at the till, and chatted away to everyone we saw. we then went to the coffee shop and had a snack. i had so many compliments about how well the children were behaved, how nicely they spoke, etc.

i had told the parents in the morning what my plan was, and at collection both children were really pleased to tell parent what we had done today, and that they had helped me.

personally i think, that in moderation it is fine! i wouldn't want to do my weekly shop with the children ( i wouldn't have time in my usual working week to do so :rolleyes: and i like going on my own !!! ) but occaisonally, as long as the children are interested/involved, it can be a great learning environment.

xxx

Pudding Girl
03-03-2009, 07:09 PM
We go shopping, food shopping ( bits n pieces, I get online deliveries now) or just general mooching - it's part of life and they are learning useful skills. or having a sleep! :clapping: :laughing:

Spangles
03-03-2009, 07:11 PM
Isn't this interesting plus really nice that we can have a bit of a debate with no-one being 'funny' if you know what I mean!

Really good!

Don't know what the answer is though!

Hebs
03-03-2009, 07:14 PM
We go shopping, food shopping ( bits n pieces, I get online deliveries now) or just general mooching - it's part of life and they are learning useful skills. or having a sleep! :clapping: :laughing:

thats fine, there is a HUGE difference to getting a few bits and bobs and doing a big weekly shop :D

mushpea
03-03-2009, 07:18 PM
thats fine, there is a HUGE difference to getting a few bits and bobs and doing a big weekly shop :D

not sure i agree with that, wether you do a weekly shop or just a few bits you are still taking them shopping and doing the same things with them whilst there just buying more items.

Pudding Girl
03-03-2009, 07:19 PM
Very true Mushpea!

cheeky monkeys
03-03-2009, 09:49 PM
Hi all,

I have a new mindee starting this week - he's 10 months old and it means I will now be minding 10 hours per day 5 days per week. With this in mind, I was wondering what others' feelings are on me taking him and my own daughter with me to do the weekly shop on a Friday? I find outdoor activities with under 2's a bit limited and can't see how this could be a negative experience, and of course would ask permission from the mother first.
Similarly, the boy is 1/2 Italian, and I have Italian in-laws, would it be deemed ok for me to occasionally to take him to their house which is quite nearby for me?
Thanks
FP

I work an 11 hour day 5 days a week and would never think of taking my mindees with me to do my weekly shop. Especially with online shopping and 24 hour opening.

In fact I find it more benifically to do a monthly online shop (cans, cleaning stuff etc) so that my weekly shop is only fresh stuff... 20 mins tops!! That I think parents can not grumble about If you can not do that in your own time??

I feel that we are being payed to look after educate and nurture their children but is 1 hour in a supermarket the right place??? The parents can do that at the weekends!!

However a walk to the local community shops is far more educational... the PO, chemist, chippy, and small coop and what ever else you have there, plus the walk...

Hebs
03-03-2009, 09:57 PM
I work an 11 hour day 5 days a week and would never think of taking my mindees with me to do my weekly shop. Especially with online shopping and 24 hour opening.

In fact I find it more benifically to do a monthly online shop (cans, cleaning stuff etc) so that my weekly shop is only fresh stuff... 20 mins tops!! That I think parents can not grumble about If you can not do that in your own time??

I feel that we are being payed to look after educate and nurture their children but is 1 hour in a supermarket the right place??? The parents can do that at the weekends!!

However a walk to the local community shops is far more educational... the PO, chemist, chippy, and small coop and what ever else you have there, plus the walk...

:clapping: couldn't agree more :thumbsup:

wendywu
03-03-2009, 10:01 PM
Children dont mind getting items to make for example pancakes, an activity that are are then doing from start to finish. But a weekly shop is a differently matter. My mindees hate it when they are picked up from me and told by parents that they are going to tesco.:panic:

I dont think Ofsted want us to give children a homelife any way. What home has a notice board up, has a visitors book.

But i throw out a challenge, if people who do their weekly food shop with their mindees are so sure they are in the right, i dare you to phone up Ofsted (and they always ask for reg no) and ask if they are happy with you doing this.

I bet i know what the answer would be.:)

Hebs
03-03-2009, 10:07 PM
:laughing: :laughing:

rickysmiths
04-03-2009, 12:56 AM
Sorry I think this is getting silly now. I offer the children an all round home based education and life experiences. I don't spend hours in the supermarket every week. Some weeks we don't go at all, sometimes we don't go for weeks. But sometimes I do my monthly shop. :clapping:

The only time I ever said to a parent that came to see me for care 'I cant and wont care for your child' was the one who asked me not to go out with the child.

PaulaR
07-03-2009, 10:25 AM
Can you put the recepit for your lunch in Morrisons through your books???

I pop in to get little bits from the shops, but I never get a big trolley, i think we have to remember we are on show and some of us think its right and some of us think it's wrong. I would hate to be branded 'that childminder who does all her shopping when she's getting paid to look after them' because you wouldn't be able to defend yourself and expalin that the children are countng carrots and learning. So i don't take the risk

venus89
07-03-2009, 10:46 AM
I pop in to get little bits from the shops, but I never get a big trolley, i think we have to remember we are on show and some of us think its right and some of us think it's wrong. I would hate to be branded 'that childminder who does all her shopping when she's getting paid to look after them' because you wouldn't be able to defend yourself and expalin that the children are countng carrots and learning. So i don't take the risk

My thoughts exactly :D

haribo
07-03-2009, 11:14 AM
but "being on show " can work in our favour if the children are obviously happy and having a good time , i have lost count of the number of compliments i have recieved whilst out shopping and we have met lots of interesting people who all contribute to the experience and i have become well known as a minder so never lack work. in my opinion the positives outweigh the negatives and i have never even thought it would be frowned on , its such a small part of our day and doesnt take away from what we do. so i will carry on as i always have even though i now feel slightly less enthusiastic about the whole thing after listening to other peoples feelings on the matter . x

venus89
07-03-2009, 11:20 AM
but "being on show " can work in our favour if the children are obviously happy and having a good time , i have lost count of the number of compliments i have recieved whilst out shopping and we have met lots of interesting people who all contribute to the experience and i have become well known as a minder so never lack work. in my opinion the positives outweigh the negatives and i have never even thought it would be frowned on , its such a small part of our day and doesnt take away from what we do. so i will carry on as i always have even though i now feel slightly less enthusiastic about the whole thing after listening to other peoples feelings on the matter . x

I think you should carry on and shouldn't lack enthusiasm. We all do what works for us and what feels right for us. x

tinkerbelle
07-03-2009, 01:40 PM
Can you put the recepit for your lunch in Morrisons through your books???

i have to get a big trolley unless i want to take the pushchair as in my local supermarket only the b ig trolleys have seats for the non walker iv got other wise im carrying him and watching the others whilst trying to handle a basket it doesnt work
hes also involved as we talk to him and show him items telling him what they are so he doesnt get ignored