PDA

View Full Version : websites

Polly2
02-03-2009, 01:20 PM
Hi all - technical question here!

I have had a website with registeredchildminder.com. It is free basic membership but you can pay £40 a year then can have full membership which means you can put more on about yourself including pics etc.

They e mailed me today to say they are not doing the websites any more due to economical climate etc.

So I would like another website. What I was wondering was on the freeweb sites can you edit them whenever you want?

If I get a site built for me (I know Pauline does great ones) does that mean I can't go on there and update photos of kids, their work whenever I like? because it is hosted.

What is the advantages of having a hosted site?

Will my site be accessable by normal search engines?

Not sure what to do - hope you brainy lot can help!

sarah707
02-03-2009, 01:51 PM
Like you say Pauline does great ones and she will adjust them for you as she is a good host.

The advantages, if you have a hosted site are that the host pays to access more whizzy stuff for you - sometimes they can all look at bit the same if they all come from the same host... and of course you get someone technical to do all the building for you.

I am sure Pauline can give you more advantages :p

I use both www.webs.com and www.webnode.com and both are easy to do and make changes which is just as well because I'm not really technical.

Hth :D

manjay
02-03-2009, 02:13 PM
I have done my own now through Microsoft Office live. It is so easy to get the basics done and I find help, info and codes on the net if I want to do anything a bit more whizzy (like that word Sarah) with it (like the background logo on each of my pages). I had one done with another company when I first started but once I was more established I decided I wanted one I could update myself. I update mine weekly with new photos and what we have been doing and it takes me 5 mins. Have a look at mine www.cheekyrascalzchildcare.co.uk. I am not technical either:D

amanda xx

Pudding Girl
02-03-2009, 02:15 PM
I use www.freewebs.com - it's EASY! and free. even better! :clapping: you don't need to know anything about web design at all, it's all self explanatory.

tulip0803
02-03-2009, 02:18 PM
I used webs.com & found it easy. I can go on and change things whenever I like. I can even change the background for another. You can pay for extra options but it does have ads that come up and you have no say over the ads if you use the free one. You don't have to go live immediately you can play about until you are happy before you publish it and then you can swap things around & change them whenever you want.

I have seen Pauline's and they are really good and each one is different. I think it depends on if you want someone else to do it all for you or whether you want to have a play and try it yourself.

Mine is just the basic webs one. And I still have room to add loads more if I want.

www.freewebs.com/juliasminding

Polka Dots
02-03-2009, 02:19 PM
Hi Holly,

My website is through webs.com and I can update it whenever I want. After a few weeks tinkering bits here and there I'm finally happy with it. www.clairebradfordchildcare.webs.com I've never done anything like this before and can honestly say it's fairly straight foward to use.

I've listed myself as a business on Google and if a parent was to search "childminder or childcare and town name" my details including a link to my website appear right at the top.

peanuts
02-03-2009, 04:14 PM
im with telewest and did my own website, you can add things when you want:)

amirose
02-03-2009, 04:32 PM
My site is also through webs.com and though my childminding site is now the 5th or 6th site I have done I found it very easy to use when I started out and love the freedom of being able to log in and edit it whenever I like without having to email someone first :thumbsup:

Polly2
02-03-2009, 05:33 PM
Thanks for your replys ladies - very helpful

No time now but will have a look at all your links later

:)

Pauline
02-03-2009, 06:28 PM
The downside to using the free 'build your own sites' ones are that if they decide to stop offering the service or go out of business, then your site goes with them, just as you have found with the one you are using. Then you have to start again, often with a new name which you might have to change on everything like paperwork etc.

You can often get free hosting via your internet provider, but if you change services you will lose it.

With paid hosting you are in control, if they go bust you can just move somewhere else. Just as I did at Christmas if you remember, with the Forum when there was a risk that the host I was with was going bust - I just upped and move my own site, all the ones I have built and host for others, plus the Forum.

With the sites I build and host you have two choices:

1. If you know how to build your own and are confident on how to upload via ftp then I can offer you cheap hosting on it's own. You can then change things and upload when you want.

2. If you want a site built by me then no, you can't access it to change things as you will not have the necessary software, but I try to do any changes sent on the same day where possible and certainly within a few days (unless I am on holiday!). I believe in treating people how I would like to be treated so strive to get it done asap :)

What you really need to do is consider how you would feel if you lost the site. If it would affect your business a great deal (e.g. losing all the content of the site) then you need something that will not change at short notice or if it did you could take it elsewhere without loss. If it wouldn't matter and it is just a bit of fun, then you can go with something free and expendable.

Hope that helps :)

Bushpig
02-03-2009, 06:42 PM
I use www.freewebs.com. My site is www.freewebs.com/jenniflowers

I have made PDFs of each page so if the unthinkable happened and freewebs.com disappeared one day, then I still had all my work saved and could then copy and paste the info onto another site if need be. Obviously would have to reload pics, but the written work would all be saved.

Polly2
02-03-2009, 08:32 PM
Thanks for your advice Pauline - I am not confident at the "whizzy stuff" so need to think about what I am going to do. I have had a lot of work through my website so definately feel I need one - one way or another.

Will have a think. Its good to know I can change things through you - could I add pictures??

Jenni - have had a look at your site and its fantastic!! I love all the pictures and you have loads of information on there. Lots for parents to read which is fab!

Off to have a read through the other ladies sites now! this could take a while...:D

manjay
02-03-2009, 09:30 PM
I use www.freewebs.com. My site is www.freewebs.com/jenniflowers

I have made PDFs of each page so if the unthinkable happened and freewebs.com disappeared one day, then I still had all my work saved and could then copy and paste the info onto another site if need be. Obviously would have to reload pics, but the written work would all be saved.

I have made copies of everything too just in case;)

Pauline
02-03-2009, 09:57 PM
Will have a think. Its good to know I can change things through you - could I add pictures??

Yes no problem :)

Bushpig
03-03-2009, 09:35 AM
Jenni - have had a look at your site and its fantastic!! I love all the pictures and you have loads of information on there. Lots for parents to read which is fab!

Off to have a read through the other ladies sites now! this could take a while...:D

Thanks so much! There are some fabulous websites in the forum! Good luck with yours :) :thumbsup:

Mollymop
03-03-2009, 10:00 AM
I hope you get a smashing website soon xxx