PDA

View Full Version : Dilemma, maternity retainer and variation..

MissTinkerbell
02-03-2009, 11:40 AM
Well I have a lot that I need advice on!!:panic:

My mindees mum announced to me this morning that she is pregnant and whilst I'm happy for them I'm not sure what I'm going to do. At the moment until we've sat down and had a chat I'm not sure about what is happening but there seem to be 3 options at the moment as far as what she will do.

1. She doesn't return to work after baby no. 2
2. She does and returns June next year (baby due 31st Aug)
3. She waits until start of new school year (she's a teacher) to return to work.

I cannot afford to keep my mindees place open as she is my main source of income and cannot afford to go 9 or 12 months without an income so I need to find another full time/ few part time mindees from Septmeber (have before and after schoolies who will come full-time during summer hols). I maybe have the possibility of a 1 year old from September though - hubby is finding out today.

Obviously if she decides on option 1 all is OK as I just advertise for another mindee, I have 6 months so not too bothered.

Option 3 is also OK because my own twins will start school in Sept 2010 so I will be able to take back M and new baby as I will be able to have 3 under 5s.

However a problem arises if she decides upon option 2. Do you think that Ofsted would grant a variation as my own 2 will still be at home? I would only need the variation for about 5 weeks, if that and would more than likely be only 3 weeks. Since mum is a teacher she doesn't use me over the holidays. My own 2 would be at preschool 5 mornings a week so would only have 5 mindees for 2/3 afternoons a week (mindee currently goes to preschool 2 afternoons a week). Any ideas as to what Ofsted might say?

Also those of you who have been through this how do you go about charging a retainer to keep the space open should she want it and to secure a place for the new baby? What do you charge?

All of this is just me pondering because obviously I haven't spoken to mum yet but I want all the information ready for when I do.

Why is that when you just think everything is going well that a spanner gets thrown in the works?? No I am very happy for them.

louloudi
02-03-2009, 11:57 AM
sorry can't offer you any advice I'm in a similar situation myself, my only two regulars are siblings and mums on maternity about June.

I suggest you chat to mum about her intentions... thisis what I'm going to have to do

Maybe someone has experience of this could help??? please???:D

Daftbat
02-03-2009, 12:27 PM
I have a mum going on maternity leave next month until next March. I will be chargeing her a retainer of half the normal cost to keep the place open - her son starts school in september so new baby will take over his place with me.

Alternatively there is a chance that i may have the option to take on another child whose parent is aware the place would only be available till next march and if this comes off then the retainer will be waived but i will do a contract with new mum to confirm that place will not be available from next March.

Similarly if the retainer was in place and i did some ad hoc work then i would reduce the retainer - just trying to keep everyone happy and make most of places available.

Hope it helps

PS i think Ofsted probably would give the variation on the basis of continuity of care - why not ask them about it now so you can get a difinitive answer before maternity leave starts.

huggableshelly
02-03-2009, 12:49 PM
I would discuss the retainer and let her know your situation that you need an income and unable to hold a place open indefinatly.

like Penny has already said you can offer a 6 or a 12 month contract to another child but let the preggy mum know oyu are doing this and her start date to return can be no sooner than ****

I kept a place open, no retainer it was a mutal agreement.
mum decided not to return back to work so I filled my 3 places (2 for her boys and one for the new baby) then she changed her mind again. by then there was nothing I could do as was unable to create 3 places.

berkschick
02-03-2009, 12:55 PM
I think you are unlikely to get a variation for 5 under 5 to be honest. You would be ok with 4 under 5 as continuity of care.

I think you need to have a chat with Mum and find out her intentions.

Hopefully she will go with option 3 as this seems the best for you if you get the 1 year old mindee too.

Chatterbox Childcare
02-03-2009, 12:58 PM
I cannot see any problem with getting a variation for the baby to cover your two as it is continuity of care.

littletreasures
02-03-2009, 02:36 PM
When one of my teacher parent's went on maternity leave, she still sent her daughter to me, but just cut down her hours a little. Cut down from 5 days to 3 1/2.

Baby was due in April, she went on maternity leave end of March and went back in September.

She didn't want her daughter's routine to change and also wanted some time to herself before the baby was born.