PDA

View Full Version : Would you do it?

amirose
02-03-2009, 11:05 AM
Hiya,

Have got an enquiry for after school care (don't know the hours, days etc yet) from a different school to the one I collect from.

If I call the little girl I have the enquiry for X and then the little girl I currently look after M I will give you an idea of what I'd have to do:

20 minute walk to X's school for pick up by 2.45pm
then a 15 minute walk from X's school to M's school which is on route :thumbsup: to pick up by 3.15pm then 5 minute walk from M's school, with M & X home.

The pro's and con's I have come up with so far are

Pro - The 20 minute walk to the school wouldn't really be a problem for me and if I had a toddler (which I don't at the moment) they would be in the buggy anyway

Pro - If I did have a buggy I could put X on a buggy board meaning I could run from X's school to M's school if I needed to

Con - What if it was raining?

Con - What if X comes out late - the latest she could come out and me still manage it would be 3pm so surely this won't happen

Con - Start date is September what if I get another enquiry for M's school in the meantime?

Pro - X and M are very similar in age

Pro - X could need school holiday care :clapping:

Con - I'd have to do EYFS with X after school :laughing:

Pro - Even though it'd be a rush to get to M's school once I have collected X the rush is over and I could take X and M to the park together

OK I'm out of pros and cons :laughing:

I would really appreciate some advice on whether to go for it or not :thumbsup:

Thanks!

huggableshelly
02-03-2009, 11:12 AM
personally I wouldnt pick up from two schoolswalking or driving.

What if the teachers call you in to discuss an issue such as an accident in school?

if you do this can you use another parent/childminder to look out for M incase you are running late then atleast it wont cause too much panic or will the shcool keep hold of M until you get there ... I know this is the norm but in the junior school I pick up from all chidlren are sent out, it is then the childs responsibility to return back into school if hey have no grown up, I pick up from infants then its a nad rush to get to the other side of the school to grab my junior kiddos but they all know where to stand and wait and then go back inside once they are all together if I'm still not there, i also have my back up childminder looking out for them all in the playground and when needed.

X would be outside for a long time in the rain, maybe you can request parents to provde full waterproofs.

butterfly
02-03-2009, 12:04 PM
i do the same sort of thing although my first pick up is a pre school. mine are 15 min walk aprt and one comes out at 3.15 and one at 3.30 so i only just make it! i just explained to the second one's mum and teacher what i was doing and that there was a chance i could be a little late BUT i would be coming! everyone's fine - the only one stressing is me trying to get the little one to walk down the hill instead of stopping every two mins! i don't do it every day though and i'm not sure i'd want to!

amirose
02-03-2009, 12:07 PM
i do the same sort of thing although my first pick up is a pre school. mine are 15 min walk aprt and one comes out at 3.15 and one at 3.30 so i only just make it! i just explained to the second one's mum and teacher what i was doing and that there was a chance i could be a little late BUT i would be coming! everyone's fine - the only one stressing is me trying to get the little one to walk down the hill instead of stopping every two mins! i don't do it every day though and i'm not sure i'd want to!

See mine are 15 minute walk apart but X comes out at 2.45pm and M comes out 3.15pm so I have half an hour to a 15 minute walk therefore it should be less of a rush - it does sound like its do able :thumbsup:

Daftbat
02-03-2009, 12:17 PM
I used to pick up regularly from two schools but used the car. It is easier now that i don't have to but if the children are ok walking then i don't see a problem. Its up to you to decide if the children themselves are up to it. At least you have a good amount of time to get from one to the other - i only had about five mins!

Chatterbox Childcare
02-03-2009, 01:05 PM
I do 2 schools at the moment and they only have 10 mins between them. The 2nd school knows my situation and are really supportive.

Given the choice I would do one school and it is a lot of hassle to do 2, especially in the rain/snow and with 3 little ones to get in and out of the car if I drive.

tomthumb
02-03-2009, 01:15 PM
I did do 2 school runs for a term and it was terrible. Both schools finished at the same time but are 15 mns drive away from each other. The second school was really good and used to keep mindee until I arrived no problem but it was a mad rush.
I had 3 babies to put in car, take them out, in the pushchair, take them out, back in car....Well they hated it and were screaming for the whole journey!! :eek: You have to take into account the weather as well as when it rains, you really get to resent having to do 2 school runs!

Good luck whatever you decide

FizzysFriends
02-03-2009, 02:39 PM
I would do it as there is a decent amount of time inbetwen the schools finishing.

amirose
02-03-2009, 03:56 PM
BLAH!

X's mum has contacted me she and her husband works shifts, so it would be a maximum of 4 afternoon pick ups until she finishes work.
She says she can give me a months rota in advance, and she may need to include some school holidays but not them all as she takes her annual leave around to cover.

Think this is sounding like too much grief :panic:

I mean how on earth do I write up a contract for that??? :eek: