PDA

View Full Version : Working an a nursery v's being a childminder

mandysmonkeys
01-03-2009, 02:59 PM
Just Thought I'd share with you a post I made in a childcare group on facebook................

I know its stating the obvious but childminding is so very different from working within a team in a nursery setting. I will be completely honest and say it is the most challenging early years role I have taken on in the past 10 years.
Although I have only been physically doing the job for a month (training planning and setting up took over a year). The proffession is extremely underated. I have experienced comments like "thats a nice easy job you can still get on with your own routine" and "childminding is just having 1 or 2 extra children in the house" others have said to me poeple don't want you to educate their child, they just need somewhere for a child to stay while they are at work".

Of course all these statments are true but there is so much more involved. A childminder has to adhere to the EYFS welfare requirments the same as any other early years setting, which we all know requires policys, proceedures, long term, medium term, short term and individual planning , we need to be on top of new legislation invovling inclusion, safegaurding children, data protection and so on. I find myself reasearching the net myself to make sure I am covering everything.
Iin a team setting different roles are taken on by different team members. I am in fact the Owner / manager / keyworker / cook / cleaner / administrator and book keeper of Mandy's Monkeys. :)

I have also noticed how little support there is out there for childminders, you need to belong to an organisation like the NCMA for information to be filtered down to you. There are training courses for childminders and first aid is a must. These are difficult to get on too and if you don't belong to the NCMA you wont know about them anyway.

It IS a very rewarding job, being able to spend so much one to one time with a child and watch them develop, learn and secure an attachment to you. There is time to get on with your normal day to day life ~ no where near as much as people think but I have manage to get the washing done, and pick a few bits from the local co op. I have never found the paperwork side of things too daunting and enjoy making decssions, choosing activities and planning the weeks activities. This week George was on nights so I took the children to the Iwade farm shop to see the animals, just a quick RA and we had a very enjoyable hour seeing the animals and feeding the chcikens. Something that can't be a spare of the moment thing in a nursery setting.

Parents choose childminders becasue of the flexibilty most childminders can offer. Hours can be early mornings, into the evenings, shift patterens etc all of which a nursery that opens 8 to 6 don't provide. Childminders can also offer wrap around care and care to older children out of term times. Which is a big benefit for parents who want to keep siblings together. There is a limit to how flexible a childminder can be. Parents have asked if I can pick their children up from different schools to where mine go and sugested I make arrangements for someone else to pick up mine!

Money is also an important issue for parents. Its suprising how many parents first question is "how much do you charge?" whereas in a nursery the first question is what will the child be able to do here? In comparrison most childminders and Nursery charge roughly the same.
I set my prices to the local areas average and I offer discounts and include meals and the toddlar groups we attend in the price to remain competitive. I have been told I am expensive, my top rate is £35.00 for 12 hours care including 3 meals, 2 snacks vertually 1 to 1 care. I don't feel this is expensive at all people pay their cleaners and gardeners more.

This is turning out to be very long post, but I could add so much more. So to conclude, Childminding is a job that can take over your life if you let it and I am sure it is not for everyone, but i am enjoying it, i like being at home, spending time with my little boy, being there for all my kids. Having a flexible routine that is different everyday. Yet doing the job I love and have always loved.......Caring for children.

misst104
01-03-2009, 03:03 PM
:clapping: :clapping: WELL SAID THAT GIRL :clapping: :clapping:

x

Bananabrain
01-03-2009, 03:11 PM
Totally agree,I so wish that people would realise what we do.

Just had a prospective parent come to visit and I really don't think she has a clue.

She was lovely and wants to sign up with me and was pleased that I am 'ofsted registered' but I don't really think she knows what Ofsted is:laughing:

Have another parent coming later,another weekend full of childminding stuff.

I told this lady to be prepared for lots of paperwork! and that it will take at least an hour.

Sometimes I am so tired by the end of the week,I'm in bed at 8.

Easy money eh?:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

peanuts
01-03-2009, 03:11 PM
too true:clapping:

Pipsqueak
01-03-2009, 03:16 PM
Well done:clapping: :clapping: very nicely put

DudleyChildmind
01-03-2009, 04:11 PM
Mandy, I couldn't have put it better myself - well done :thumbsup:

sarah707
01-03-2009, 05:15 PM
Excellent! very well said :thumbsup:

Carol
01-03-2009, 05:16 PM
Well said,you should put it in the news paper so others read it and can see what we have to do now.

Carol xx

ajs
01-03-2009, 05:21 PM
very true and well put

are we already friends on fb if not pm me so i can comment on there too

miffy
01-03-2009, 05:31 PM
Well said!

Miffy xx

rickysmiths
01-03-2009, 05:50 PM
Well said.:clapping:

I would have a word about the training with your local people because I have never heard it said that you have to be a member of NCMA to hear about training.

You are definately not that expensive though I know local areas are different.
I would charge £54 for a twelve hour day if the whole weeks care was more than 20hrs and £60 if it was under 20hrs in the week.

louloudi
01-03-2009, 05:59 PM
Just had a prospective parent come to visit and I really don't think she has a clue.

She was lovely and wants to sign up with me and was pleased that I am 'ofsted registered' but I don't really think she knows what Ofsted is

Sounds like when my son was with a childminder!!! The worst thing is that she took advantage and I didn't know any better?? If only I knew then what I know now.

Mind you this was in scotland so I'm not sure if they are covered by ofsted??

Chatterbox Childcare
01-03-2009, 06:00 PM
Well said - I think you have summed it up to a t.

I don't think your charges are high. If I was working a 12 hour day my rate would be £35.00 for 10 hours plus £11.00 for the other 2 hours and £2 per meal.

MrsT333
01-03-2009, 08:03 PM
:clapping: well said...

I would like to give my all my parents a copy of that....:laughing: :laughing:
i think we are seen as glorified babysitters

Pipsqueak
01-03-2009, 08:06 PM
i think we are seen as glorified babysitters

We aren't??????:eek: :laughing:

Lick'le Oakes
01-03-2009, 08:12 PM
Hear Hear :D

jibberjitz
01-03-2009, 08:21 PM
Well said :clapping:

mum22
01-03-2009, 08:27 PM
Brilliantly put thank you:thumbsup:

mandysmonkeys
02-03-2009, 04:41 PM
Thanks for nice replies, just sad how little respect we get for our profession. :(

Also I'd like to say the parents I currently mind for are both fantatsic and take a real interest in what I do with their children. :clapping: