PDA

View Full Version : CHANGE OF PLAN...MAYBE..............

LOOPYLISA
01-03-2009, 10:19 AM
I am seriously thinking of giving up before ive even started !,

My friend works for county council putting jobs(in schools) on the website aparantly there are loads at the moment for teaching assistants etc,

I have been thinking for a while when childminding it would be term time only as i really want the hols with my family its when we have our holidays as a family too, and now my friend has told me this im undecided !

I keep thinking about paperwork, my house never being my own and will i get term time only work?, i probably should of thought of this before registration but hey ho, !

If i were to change my plans how do i go about my registration is it left open or cancelled...........:thumbsup:

amirose
01-03-2009, 10:32 AM
As far as I am aware you can keep your registration open without minding but not too sure how you go about it.

I worked as a teaching assistant for a while and I loved the work but bear in mind you MUST like the teacher your working with :thumbsup:

Good luck with everything, it does sound like a teaching assistant job could work well for you and your family :thumbsup:

LOOPYLISA
01-03-2009, 11:01 AM
Thankyou, im just bearing it in mind at the moment, will get all my paperwork up together anyway :thumbsup:

Chatterbox Childcare
01-03-2009, 11:04 AM
If you decide to take the job I would leave your childminding application open incase you don't like it.

I would check out the money too as you have the potential to earn a lot more childminding, especially if you own children are not factored in your numbers.

Good luck with whatever path you take

Lick'le Oakes
01-03-2009, 11:17 AM
I am normally a teaching assistant but i have just gave up to become a child minder. I did enjoy the job etc, hard work, frustrating but also rewarding. I decided to give a more personal service as there was a lot of niggly things i disagreed with. Saying that if another job in my area came up i would be confused as what to do.

Jules27
01-03-2009, 01:57 PM
Only you can make that decicion hun. Good advice already given. Theres no harm in applying for one of these jobs - at the moment there are probably a lot of applicants per job due to the recession so you may not get it anyway - which could possibly leave you feeling a bit low. If you were to get it I would keep my registration just in case!

Good luck with what ever you decide to do! Have you got any children on your books yet?

rickysmiths
01-03-2009, 02:10 PM
As others have said only you can make the choice. Potential earnings as a childminder shoud be more than as a CA.

If the long holidays are important to you maybe you will have to target your work to school chlidren. Especially teachers and don't forget all the parents that run the signing classes, singing and dancing etc that only run term time.

One of my parents runs a dance school and only wants term time care. She pays 1/2 fee retainer in the holidays. Very occassionaly she asks if I can do days in the holidays so she can catch up with her paper work!!:laughing:
Those days are agreed in advance and to fit in with what I am doing.

huggableshelly
01-03-2009, 02:31 PM
if you only get part time hours as a CA you can still do afterschool minding too!

some CA's get to finish school ontime to pick up their own children, others stay that extra 30 mins to help tidy away blah blah

Good Luck with your future plans xxx

LisaH
01-03-2009, 02:53 PM
I would still keep the reg on too just in case things don't work out!! I have often toyed with the idea of going to work at school instead but I enjoy being my own boss.:)

I'm sure you'll make the right decision:)

LOOPYLISA
01-03-2009, 06:07 PM
Thanks ladies, i know i would probably earn more as a cm but without this coming the wrong way its not about the money, hubby earns good money for me not to work but i think i would go mad and its nice to earn my 'own' money, i think i will keep my registration open for now and see wat comes up, i just hope that if i did cm i would get term time only children :thumbsup:

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
01-03-2009, 07:57 PM
My friend is a cm and she only works term time only and she is full with 3 children and she has only ever worked term time so it can be done.

Good luck with whatever you do.

littletreasures
01-03-2009, 08:05 PM
In nearly 19 years of childminding I've only ever had 1 family that wasn't term time only. I would work the holidays if I had to but I have been really lucky and always had teacher's children.

It seemed once I had one family where parent was a teacher, the others came from recommendation from them.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

peanuts
01-03-2009, 09:12 PM
good luck with whatever you decide to do