PDA

View Full Version : HM Revenue imposter e-mails scam

Spangles
01-03-2009, 09:32 AM
I have received details from NCMA in Cambs re. the following and thought it may be useful to put on here - just in case:

Tax rebate - updated 12 January 2009

We are aware of a high number of emails being sent out offering a tax rebate. HMRC would not inform customers of a tax rebate via email, or invite them to complete an online form to receive a rebate of tax.

Do not visit the website contained within the email or disclose any personal or payment information.

Email addresses used to distribute the tax rebate emails include:

notify2 @hrms.co.uk
refundtax (refundtax@hmrc.gov.co.uk)@hmrc.gov.co.uk
TaxRefund (TaxRefund@hmrc.gov.uk)@hmrc.gov.uk
service @hmrc.gsi.gov.uk
claims @hmrc.direct.gov.uk
notice @hmrc.gov.uk
hmrc @hmrc.gov.uk
admin @hmrc.gsi.gov.uk
info @hmrc.gsi.gov.uk
no-reply @hmrc.gsi.gov.uk
refund @hmrc.gov.uk
HMRC does not send out emails using these email addresses.

Apparently cm's in this area have been contacted by these scammers so we are being warned not to reply to these e-mails under any circumstances basically.

x

Pauline
01-03-2009, 09:38 AM
Thanks for that! :thumbsup:

I'm trying to make those links unclickable, to stop anyone clicking on them and thinking it is HMRC and accidentally contacting the spammers!!

but I can't do it at the moment - will keep trying :)

DONE IT!! :thumbsup:

Spangles
01-03-2009, 09:47 AM
Sorry didn't notice they came up as working links!

It's easy to get inquisitive and decide to take a look isn't it!

I was told a code to put in a cash point machine if someone's forcing you to extract money for them and it will let you have the money but at the same time automatically alert the police and I have to be so strong not to try it to see if it works! Ha ha!

Pauline
01-03-2009, 09:57 AM
I was told a code to put in a cash point machine if someone's forcing you to extract money for them and it will let you have the money but at the same time automatically alert the police and I have to be so strong not to try it to see if it works! Ha ha!

That is an urban myth babe:

http://www.joewein.net/hoax/hoax-reverse-pin-alert.htm

Spangles
01-03-2009, 09:58 AM
That's not fair! I've been so strong in not letting myself try it out! Ha ha!

Pauline
01-03-2009, 10:11 AM
That's not fair! I've been so strong in not letting myself try it out! Ha ha!

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

go on I dare you to try it tomorrow and see if 6 police cars turn up :D

madasahatter
01-03-2009, 10:44 AM
I got the tax refund email months go telling me I was due a £90 refund. I forwarded it to the hmrc scam people. I knew immediately it wasn't real....how could I have a tax refund when I hadn't even submitted my tax return and anyway the online forms calculate your tax as you go along so how could it have been wrong. When I did finally submit my tax return I got a refund that was much bigger than £90 :laughing:
My sister who works for HMRC says that the inland revenue will never contact anyone by email, it is all done by snail mail. The only emails you should get are automatic ones acknowledging receipt of your online submission.

tulip0803
01-03-2009, 11:53 AM
Thank you xx

Jules27
01-03-2009, 02:08 PM
very good info here thanks. I've not been contacted by one of this scammers butwould probably have thought was genuine!!!:blush: :blush:

louise
30-03-2010, 12:23 PM
Hi, Just wanted to let u guys know this is still going round as i had it today. I apparently can get 990 odd back. Lovely don't think ive even paid that much in 6 yrs!

Pauline
30-03-2010, 12:34 PM
Always this time of year as we prepare for our tax returns. :rolleyes:

Chimps Childminding
30-03-2010, 12:40 PM
I also had one saying I had over paid on my National Insurance and was due a rebate. Luckily I am wise to these as I have received several from banks, HMRC in the past so I just delete them :angry:

PaulaR
30-03-2010, 12:43 PM
I got one a few weeks back, sent it to tax people. I knew it wasn't real

aly
30-03-2010, 12:43 PM
Sorry didn't notice they came up as working links!

It's easy to get inquisitive and decide to take a look isn't it!

apparently its your number backwards...but the cash machine would only think you put it in wrong anyway...as pauline says myth.

Beckieboo
30-03-2010, 01:01 PM
I am one of those that thought it was real!!! :laughing:
I read it and thought i was getting £340 rebate!
My bf read it and shattered my illusions, i rang HMRC and told them! :(
I had already spent the money..............in my head!:laughing:
They said they would always notify us by post and never email so now i delete them straight away!!:thumbsup:

Minstrel
30-03-2010, 01:20 PM
apparently its your number backwards...but the cash machine would only think you put it in wrong anyway...as pauline says myth.

Agree this is a myth! Hubby is a police officer and says no such thing. His advice is to hand over the money and call the police after. Most cash points have CCTV trained on them (even if its across the road etc) and this can be checked by police. x

Curly Quavers
30-03-2010, 03:27 PM
I got one of these emails this morning apparently I am due £191 back but I knew it was a scam as soon as I seen the email.

Thanks for this though :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Tink
30-03-2010, 03:42 PM
Thanks for the warning I'll tell DH as he is always on the main computer

angiemog
30-03-2010, 05:08 PM
I had this last week.... and clicked on it too! :blush: