PDA

View Full Version : Medicines

Juddster
01-03-2009, 09:14 AM
Just read this thought it may be useful even though we obviously don't administer over the counter ones.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Cough-And-Cold-Medicines-Do-Not-Work-On-Children-Under-12-Says-MHRA/Article/200903115231732?lpos=UK_News_Carousel_Region_0&lid=ARTICLE_15231732_Cough_And_Cold_Medicines_Do_N ot_Work_On_Children_Under_12%2C_Says_MHRA

cherry
01-03-2009, 09:18 AM
Thank you, just been watching it on the news :thumbsup:

sarah707
01-03-2009, 09:33 AM
Interesting thanks for sharing. :D

Can I just ask... why do you say we don't administed over the counter medicines?

We can under Eyfs and most childminders do with parents prior written permission.

Do you have an up-to-date copy of the Eyfs? The requirements for medication changed.

http://www.standards.dfes.gov.uk/eyfs/site/requirements/welfare/safeguarding/2.htm

Juddster
01-03-2009, 09:36 AM
Has it really wow hadn't noticed i got the standards when they 1st came out i know they made amendments to the part on medication i did have a brief look and got the part about having to have written consent but did not see about over counter medicines. I give calpol etc so we can give cough mixtures etc now then ?

sarah707
01-03-2009, 09:42 AM
Has it really wow hadn't noticed i got the standards when they 1st came out i know they made amendments to the part on medication i did have a brief look and got the part about having to have written consent but did not see about over counter medicines. I give calpol etc so we can give cough mixtures etc now then ?

Yes it's great because they accept that a parent might want us to use bum cream etc without prescriptions.

Non-prescription medication e.g. pain and fever relief or teething gel may be administered, but only with the prior written consent of the parent and only when there is a health reason to do so

You can adapt your medication forms to say that you need prior written permission from parents and can then give infant pain relief etc however you need to know when the child last had the medication so you do not overdose, so you will need to contact them before giving.

Hth :D

Juddster
01-03-2009, 09:45 AM
Oh i see yes i do that already for pain relief and teething gels etc. Not sure about giving cough mixtures etc though think i will steer away from them still. Thank you though for the update.

sarah707
01-03-2009, 09:57 AM
If you are concerned, then I would advise you to put a sentence into your medication policy.

Your personal opinion might conflict with parents wishes and it's best to make it clear what you do from the start.

I have always found buttercup syrup the best for coughs etc anyway

Juddster
01-03-2009, 02:30 PM
I go through all my policies before parents sign up and i have a sentence in mine about only giving prescribed or pain/fever relief such as calpol etc and teething gels. It has never become an issue so will just continue as i am. I have never used cough syrups etc for myself or my own children not that i believe there is anything wrong in them just for some reason never bothered. Although now they seem to be in the news alot more. My doc has always said benillin (however its spelt) is good. I have used mediced but that they have since changed the age group higher. I feel safer only giving limited medication to other peoples children plus its stops parents sending them in dosed up on something from over the counter when they may need something more.