PDA

View Full Version : Risk assessments

Debster
01-03-2009, 08:57 AM
Like I have nothing better to do on a sunday morning. Iam updating my risk assessments and have realised I do not have a fire risk assesment. I dont know where to start on this one can anyone hep or point me in the right direction please thanks
Debbie

Juddster
01-03-2009, 09:03 AM
What do you mean by a fire risk assessment? You need to have an evacuation plan and log that you carry out regular fire drills and smoke alarm tests. I also have a section on my risk assessment sheets that i sign to say these have been carried out and i have reviewed my evacuation route and that my fire blanket etc is ok and in a sited appropriatly. Hope this helps. Good luck

Debster
01-03-2009, 09:12 AM
What do you mean by a fire risk assessment? You need to have an evacuation plan and log that you carry out regular fire drills and smoke alarm tests. I also have a section on my risk assessment sheets that i sign to say these have been carried out and i have reviewed my evacuation route and that my fire blanket etc is ok and in a sited appropriatly. Hope this helps. Good luck

I was under the impression we shoud assess the house for any risks where fire may be caused eg overloaded sockets where matches are kept that kind of thing. I have a fire evauation plan. maybe thats enough
Debs

Juddster
01-03-2009, 09:25 AM
Well i havent and i have never been told different by ofsted. So i think you should be fine. Least thats one less thing to worry about

FizzysFriends
01-03-2009, 09:32 AM
I was under the impression we shoud assess the house for any risks where fire may be caused eg overloaded sockets where matches are kept that kind of thing. I have a fire evauation plan. maybe thats enough
Debs

That could be incorporated into your room risk assessments?

jacky
01-03-2009, 09:47 AM
dont know about other areas but in southend we have to undertake a fire safety and risk assessment course. (every 3yrs) apparently statutary requirements. (regulatory fire reform order 2005) anyway we got a fire risk assessment form from the training company which includes
premises details - address ,business type ,maximum number of people on the property, hours premise in use, size of premise

number of occupants to be considered a special risk

hazards - sources of fuel identified- safety measures in place - actions

sources of ignition identified - safety measures in place - actions
sources of hazardous substances identified -safety measures in place - actions
details of previos fire history

fire fighting equiopment - matters of concern - actions - evidence

raising the alarm - means of detecting and raising the alarm - action required - evidence

contacting the fire services - details of proceedure - matters of concern - action required

escape routes - give deatils
evacuation procedures - existing procedure - matters of concern - action - evidence.

on front cover - business name - date initial inspection - review dates.

hope this helps it made my life a lot easier as i just need to go through this annually and date and sign.

my ofsted inspector looked at this in great deatil as weel as my evacuation routes drwaings and asked where they were sighted . she also asked to see my fire driil log.

www.firesafetyguides.communities.gov.uk is a good place to look for other information.

rickysmiths
01-03-2009, 11:38 PM
I have never heard of this as a statutory requirement but it is exactly what the fire brigade did when they came to do a Home Safety Check Last year.:D