PDA

View Full Version : DON'T PICK THE FLOWERS!!!!!!!

Mollymop
28-02-2009, 11:59 PM
!!!...........
I had this strange rambling looking woman rant this to me as we were walking though the park the other day.
My mindee was picking wild flowers that were covering the whole park and growing wild, where they liked (snowdrops and crocases (sp?) I am not sure if they were them but looked similar)the park is massive and they covered so much of it. I am not good at measuring but acres anyway. They were everywhere on the grass not in a beds or in the hedgerows.

So I didn't mind my mindee picking a few.

Then this woman with rambling hat and boots and backpack comes along and almost shouted "Don't let her pick the flowers!!! noo!!!!!"

I was taken aback and so was my 2 year old mindee. Bless her. She was collecting a few (only picked 6 in total) for her mum.

I said "Don't be silly there are thousands across this park and they are growing wild" she shook her head and walked off

I just can't understand some people. What is their problem?!!!!!!!!!

I am ashamed to admit that I shouted after her "was you never a child yourself":blush: :blush: Then I felt guilty as we walked away

Chatterbox Childcare
01-03-2009, 12:01 AM
I am sure your little one liked picking them and mum enjoyed receiving them.

Don't worry about the ramblers, they aren't called that for their walking!

Trouble
01-03-2009, 12:05 AM
you wicked woman how cruel:D :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

you baby dog is missing you he sends you a big sloppy kiss:D

Mollymop
01-03-2009, 12:06 AM
I am sure your little one liked picking them and mum enjoyed receiving them.

Don't worry about the ramblers, they aren't called that for their walking!

:laughing: :laughing: :clapping:

Mollymop
01-03-2009, 12:07 AM
you wicked woman how cruel:D :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

you baby dog is missing you he sends you a big sloppy kiss:D

I am sending a big virtual mwwwhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh only for my Alfie.

Trouble
01-03-2009, 12:09 AM
i think hes got a fly up his bum tonight

he has a beautiful new bed and hes pace the floor is it a full moon:eek:

Mollymop
01-03-2009, 12:11 AM
i think hes got a fly up his bum tonight

he has a beautiful new bed and hes pace the floor is it a full moon:eek:

I hope it is not a full moon cos that means I will be having PMT anytime soon and it is never pretty.

"Fly up the bum" hahaha. Never heard of that one before:laughing:

Trouble
01-03-2009, 12:12 AM
im working very hard can you tell i have square eyes:eek:

Mollymop
01-03-2009, 12:21 AM
im working very hard can you tell i have square eyes:eek:

Oh yes, oh square eyes. What!??? u Working this time of nite?

Mollymop
01-03-2009, 12:24 AM
You been watchin too much tv??:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Trouble
01-03-2009, 12:26 AM
i was on an inclusion course til 4 then i decided as dd was out and it was peaceful i would get on with some paperwork

i am getting their slowly but i cheated a little to save time:D :D

i am sick to death of paperwork will it ever end?????????:(

Trouble
01-03-2009, 12:29 AM
now the cats starting to act like an idiot

is there gas leaking in my house today

huggableshelly
01-03-2009, 09:01 AM
i was on an inclusion course til 4 then i decided as dd was out and it was peaceful i would get on with some paperwork

i am getting their slowly but i cheated a little to save time:D :D

i am sick to death of paperwork will it ever end?????????:(

you cheated!!!! LOl wtg not that I ever cheat never well hardly ever umm well i did buy some of Sarahs e-books but thats not cheating thats just being lazy and using sarahs hard work to aid my laziness nope umm well maybe it is cheating lol

as for picking wild flowers I think its sweet and children should be allowed to pick them up as a gift for their parents. I have a pot full of crocuses right now from my garden I planted them with kiddies and they pulled them up grrr lol but still they asked for a vase (used actimel bottles lol) and then they both presented me with their flowers! so sweet and makes it all worth while providing them with something of their own to pick and do as they please with.

SimplyLucy
01-03-2009, 10:26 AM
I'm sorry I agree with the lady who told you to stop. :blush:

Part of the Country Code it NOT to pick wild flowers.

If everyone picked just a few................

Mouse
01-03-2009, 10:36 AM
Sorry but I agree, I wouldn't have let mine pick the flowers.

It's different if you grow them in your own garden & let the children pick them, but when they grow wild they should be left alone. Just because there were lots of them doesn't make it alright to pick them. I'd have used the experience to teach the children to respect the countryside.

LOOPYLISA
01-03-2009, 10:59 AM
Sorry i agree too, i don.t let dd pick wild flowers, if we all picked some................ x

Mollymop
01-03-2009, 11:15 AM
:laughing: Oh you stick in the muds!

Does that go for daisies as well, girls??!

Mouse
01-03-2009, 11:26 AM
lol!

I look at daisies as being weeds, so they're OK to pick! Snowdrops etc grow from bulbs, so I assume someone must actually have planted them at some time. Of course, I may be completely wrong :D

Mouse
x

littletreasures
01-03-2009, 11:40 AM
I agree also. I wouldn't allow my children or mindees to pick them either. They look so pretty when there are lots of them in the woods/parks etc.

I thought it was an offence to pick them, but I can't find anything on google.

ajs
01-03-2009, 11:40 AM

sorry i agree too
with lucy and the lady, if you pick them and each and every child picks a few then there will be none for anyone else to enjoy.

sorry i know she was spoiling the children's fun but the flowers are for everyone to enjoy.

LOOPYLISA
01-03-2009, 11:42 AM
I agree also. I wouldn't allow my children or mindees to pick them either. They look so pretty when there are lots of them in the woods/parks etc.

I thought it was an offence to pick them, but I can't find anything on google.

Yes it is an offence, sorry Sandra, back to making daisy chains im afraid.........x

tulip0803
01-03-2009, 11:45 AM
I try to encourage mine not to pick wild flowers, some are protected by law. The countryside code says that you shouldn't pick any as it is "anti-social". But you can pick a few if there are lots

http://www.leics.gov.uk/index/community/history_heritage/hne_team/celebrating_wildlife/heritage_information/wildlife_law.htm

But if everyone picked a few there would be none

rickysmiths
01-03-2009, 12:00 PM
Sorry I agree as well no picking Snowdrops, primroses, bluebells, cowslips, crocus etc etc. If you are caught you can actually be prosicuted.:panic:

Because of this, I never let them be picked from the garden either the children enjoy seeing them in the garden. The only ones we pick are the daffodils.

Actually the children planted bulbs in the autumn and their pots are by my front door and they are enjoying with their parents, watching the bulbs come out. We have just got the first flower in time for St Davids Day.:clapping:

We grow flowers later in the spring and summer that are better for picking or growing in a pot that we can have in the garden and enjoy and take some home to enjoy as well.

One of the favourites last year was baby tomatoes in hanging baskets.:jump for joy:

Mollymop
01-03-2009, 12:07 PM
Ok thanks,, I won't let them do it from now on xx:blush:

jibberjitz
01-03-2009, 09:20 PM
Crazy, raving woman!!!! Some people eh!?!:mad:

charleyfarley
01-03-2009, 10:18 PM
Yes it is an offence, sorry Sandra, back to making daisy chains im afraid.........x

That's what I thought too. Although there are millions of daffodils growing on the grass and I do think maybe I could pick a few to brighten up my kitchen :D

Carol xx

jellytot
01-03-2009, 10:22 PM

sorry but i agree with lucy, we cant go around picking flowers

Twinkles
01-03-2009, 11:07 PM
I remember going for walks as a child ( I am very old :laughing: ) to pick bluebells and primroses :eek:

It wasn't illegal back then so sad that we can't do it anymore , but I do agree they are best left where they are for all to enjoy.

BTW I got some walking boots for Christmas and will be joining the 'rambling ramblers '

angeldelight
02-03-2009, 07:38 AM
sorry i agree too
with lucy and the lady, if you pick them and each and every child picks a few then there will be none for anyone else to enjoy.

sorry i know she was spoiling the children's fun but the flowers are for everyone to enjoy.

Sorry but I have to agree here

Thing is if you let children pick them like that then what do you do if they go to pick them from someones garden and think that its ok?
You then give out mixed and confusing messages when you ask them not to do that

I would imagine it was fun though and I have been tempted myself sometimes to do it haha

Angel xx

chaotic_space
02-03-2009, 03:05 PM
I know it seems like harmless fun to pick wild flowers especially when they blanket the park/woods etc but it is illegal and shouldn't be encouraged.

On the odd time one of my own or minded children picked a flower or two I just quietly reminded them that wild flowers belong to all of us and if we pick them then the next people who visit don't get to see how beautiful they are.

As for ramblers well..... many of them do think the countryside is their own personal property. (I get to say that because I ramble/hyke ;) ) I would have reminded the old witch I mean lady that she has to share!

Mollymop
02-03-2009, 04:05 PM
ok!!! I won't let them pic the flowers anymore!!! :laughing: :laughing: :thumbsup: