PDA

View Full Version : Measles

Pipsqueak
28-02-2009, 06:00 PM
Mindees mum (my adorable one) has text me to say that E possibly has measles.:eek: Bless his heart, he had been a bit of colour, coughing and spluttering all over the place and of his food - kept saying his tummy was hurting.

Now I know its a notifiable - so would I have to let Ofsted know Monday if it is confirmed? I would have to let other parent know.
Thankfully my lot have been vaccinated - me and Bri haven't and neither of us have had it. :eek: :eek:

anyone tell me anything about measles - going to look it up on the net as well

tulip0803
28-02-2009, 07:02 PM
Not sure about OFSTED but you do with CSSIW. not a help for you sorry

christine e
28-02-2009, 07:27 PM
Just done a bit of 'googling' on this and found this link
http://www.hpa.org.uk/webw/HPAweb&HPAwebStandard/HPAweb_C/1195733822608?p=1191942172952

so according to this you need to contact Ofsted

Cx

Roseolivia
28-02-2009, 07:47 PM
Is mum sure it's measles as my mindee has scarletina which is a mild form of scarlet fever. It starts of like a cold then they get a red rash round their chest and back and then onto face with a really high temp. Still very contagious

Pipsqueak
28-02-2009, 08:33 PM
Thanks - haven't heard back from mum yet

peanuts
01-03-2009, 07:16 AM
i would wait until you had heard back from mum once it had been confirmed by doctor before doing anything

janiefear
01-03-2009, 08:30 AM
Hi there

According to my practice nurse the only way they can confirm it is measles is by a blood test and then the doctors surgery have to notify public health - some of the old school of doctors are very quick to say it's measles but don't confirm it - according to my friend's doctor her two have had measles, mumps and german measles and they've both had the mmr - they never had blood tests and my practice nurse just said "that's a load of rubbish".

I would def wait till it's been confirmed by the doctor and ask how it was confirmed.

Take care

Jane

huggableshelly
01-03-2009, 08:45 AM
I would wait for confirmation and yes once confirmed you do need to let Ofsted know.

Ofsted will report it to public health and guide you on what steps to take such as informing all parents and ensuring the parent has informed the childs school or nursery, advise pregant mothers to seek advice from their Drs and if you have any children being treated for cancer they must seek medcial advice too as they will need an injection
I'm not sure what the injection is for but I know this info as a letter was sent home from school requesting all parents to inform the school imediatly if anyone has measles, mumps, chicken pox or shingles as a child is recieving treatment for cancer and isnt able to fight off additional infrections.

custardcream
01-03-2009, 09:02 AM
Hi, I had a little baby with measles the other week, she had caught it from a nursery. Once it was confirmed I rang ofsted who told me to put it in writing and to also notify all parents and I also had to notify my local health protection unit (HPU).
The HPU were really heplful and went through all children and their ages who baby had been in contact with and explained any risks.
I was really concerned because I had 2 pregnant parents, but they were fine and they both went and spoke to own doctors.

loubilou
10-03-2009, 06:33 PM
Hi,
I've just had one of my dads come to pick up and said that their baby(who is under 1 and i mind) has been in contact with anothe under 12 months who has measles. So have told my other parent who's child is also under 12months of this and we have taken the decision to keep the child who has been in contact with measles away for the rest of the week . I was advised to do this by my brother in law who is a doctor. Have I done the right thing ? :panic:

rickysmiths
10-03-2009, 07:16 PM
This might be useful. I was distracted and posted it under 'Cutie Pie' sorry so here goes again:

Measles is a highly infectious viral illness. The illness causes a range of symptoms including fever, coughing and distinctive red-brown spots.

The infection is spread through the air through droplets of saliva. You can catch measles through direct contact with an infected person, or through the air when they cough or sneeze. The droplets can also survive and remain contagious on surfaces for a few hours.

Measles is most common among children aged between one and four years of age, but anyone who has not been immunised against the condition can catch it.

Symptoms of the measles appear 9-11 days after the infection begins, and last up to 14 days. The condition is most infectious after the first symptoms have appeared and before the rash has developed.

Treatment for measles is normally not necessary because the body's immune system (defence against viruses) can usually fight off infection in a couple of weeks. Typically, once somebody has fought off the measles infection, they develop immunity to it.

Complications of measles include:

* pneumonia,
* ear and eye infections, and
* croup (an infection of the lungs and throat).

More serious complications, such as inflammation of the brain (encephalitis), are more rare, but can be fatal. There are one million deaths worldwide from measles every year.

MMR vaccine

The most effective way of preventing measles is the measles-mumps-rubella (MMR) vaccine, which also provides protection against two other potentially fatal childhood conditions, mumps and rubella. The success of the MMR vaccine means that, in the UK, cases of measles are rare.

However, in recent years, the number of cases of measles has been increasing. For example, there were 739 cases in 2006, compared with 70 cases during 2001.

It is thought that the rise in the number of cases of measles is the result of parents not getting their child vaccinated with the MMR vaccine. This is probably due to speculation linking MMR to autism (a condition that affects the development of the brain, and can lead to problems in communication and social interaction).

Publicity in 1998 highlighted a report claiming a link between the MMR jab and autism. However, numerous studies undertaken to investigate this claim found no link between the MMR vaccine and autism.

* show glossary terms

Fever
A fever is when you have a high body temperature (over 38C or 100.4F).

Contagious
Contagious is when a disease or infection can be easily passed from one person to another.

Immune system
The immune system is the body's defence system, which helps protect it from disease, bacteria and viruses.

Lungs
Lungs are a pair of organs in the chest that control breathing. They remove carbon dioxide from the blood and replace it with oxygen.

Inflammation
Inflammation is the body's response to infection, irritation or injury. It causes redness, swelling, pain and sometimes a feeling of heat in the affected area.

Brain
The brain controls thought, memory and emotion. It also sends messages to the body controlling movement, speech and senses.

MMR
MMR stands for measles, mumps and rubella. It is a vaccine that prevents measles, mumps and rubella by making the body produce antibodies to fight off the viruses.

Last reviewed: 06/11/2007

Yes it worked! Hope it is if interest. I googled 'Measles Symptoms' if you want to look at any more info.
Having had Measles as a child though the thing I remember is the smell. When I spoke to my mum about it she said 'yes thats how I knew you had it I could smell it' ?