PDA

View Full Version : Had it with Ofsted - long rant apologies

melanieabigail2004
28-02-2009, 07:49 AM
:angry: I have to have a rant ladies as I must get this off my chest having had a sleepless night.

I was supposed to be inspected first week of December. They never turned up and when I called to see what was going on at the end of the week I got an apology saying they had been tied up with complaints all week and that they would call me first of Jan to tell me when they would be coming out. Annoyed as I had done loads of prep but understanding.

Jan came and went, so did February and still no call. I have called 3 times since middle of Jan to find out and nothing, no call back, nada.

Anyway last week I put in for a variation as I will be over my numbers for 15 workings days (once a week for 15 weeks) as contracts ending and starting coincide. Mum was supposed to be starting with another cm in the village who is a friend but in the end could not do it so I offered to help out.

Have phoned every day for a week to get an update on variation as its urgent and needs to start on 16th March. Yesterday I finally get a call from someone who tells me they won't grant the variation until my next inspection. Well to put it mildly I flipped.

He then told me when I requested to speak to inspector that he could not guarantee it would today and that it might be Mon or Tues. Not acceptable I said - I go on hols on the 7th so need to be inspected next week. Nothing he could do.

Came off the phone and was really angry and decided that no this was not good enough and called Ofsted back. I explained to the call centre and they tried the inspector who was on holiday who picked up the phone and agreed to talk to me.

Just a bunch of excuses of how overworked, backlogs, new systems (the list goes on) was what I was given. I said I am sorry but this is not my problem I have received a shocking service.

In the end she agreed to visit me next week and will speak to her manager on Monday about the variation and agree it subject to my inspection.

I've been registered since 2005 and have never known them to be so useless.

I pointed out that we as cms have to jump through hoops, dot every I and cross every T for Ofsted and its not reciprocated and that their systems are flawed.

I must have sounded really angry as later in the afternoon I got a call from the head of the inspectors for my area who apologised profusely and said he had an inspector lined up in case the other one can't come so now I have two!!!!

I am still angry this morning. I should not have to lose my rag to be able to speak to someone.

Sorry for the long post but DH does not understand and I just need to vent to people who have some idea of Ofsted and how they make you feel. :)

Mel

sarah707
28-02-2009, 07:55 AM
Oh crikey that sounds awful for you.

It does seem like they have sorted it out now, but you shouldn't have to go through all that to get an inspection :(

amirose
28-02-2009, 07:57 AM
Good on you for standing up for yourself :clapping:

I really didn't like my inspector at my pre-reg (she actually asked to look in my cupboards to make sure I didn't have any tarantulas in there :eek:) and at the end of the 4 hour meeting I was stressed and upset only to be told I would be registered for one under five and 2 over or 2 in early years but none under 1 and 1 other. I was as mad as anything and told her then this was all a waste of time as I can't earn the money this way. She made me measure the room (:mad: ) and then told me she still didn't think I'd get any more but she'd check. I told her if she registered me for 3 I'd appeal it - next day she rang and said she'd register me for 4 :laughing:

Everyone should stand up for themselves if they think Ofsted are wrong or being unfair

I really hope you get your variation, keep us updated :thumbsup:

huggableshelly
28-02-2009, 08:05 AM
it is very frustrating1

I asked for a variation too and was told I would be inspected in the next 2 weeks, well yesterday was the final day of the 2 wks mentioned and no inspection!

I was due in september 2008 and was hoping to be one of the first to go through under EYFS knowing i only had to prove I was setting it up and not got it in full working order. Now I have to prove its in full working order which is fine i've gained alot of help from here and also learning tuns from study.

But yesterday I found out that my preschooler is leaving me sooner than expected, I would have been losing him in july but now it will be end of march, poor Mum is losing her job, the company pay my fees so she will lose that beneift too.

So when ofstead decide to come knowing my luck I will ahve no kiddies during the day, and its pretty chaotic after school with 7/8 kiddies, I havent got time to sit and chat with any adult let alone an inspector until atleast 5:15 when 3 go home.

I was told the delay is due to an influx of new cm's which is great i know the newer cm's need their paperwork sorted so they can get going but I also know alot are bing turned down in my area, well not alot but 3 have been turned down who were trying to set up for various reasons one being they had 3 large dogs and live in a flat, unsuitable premises.

anyway sorry to rant on your ranting thread, you are not on your own and I know the frustration you have too.

melanieabigail2004
28-02-2009, 08:11 AM
Rant away - we'll all feel better for it.

I was told that there were a big influx of cms but the head inspector also told me most of them don't have children and I do so it ridiculous (his words!) that I have not been inspected and he would look into it.

Poor you waiting since September. It would have been good to get it out of the way! :ohdear:

M

huggableshelly
28-02-2009, 08:15 AM
trying to juggle study too which once again I'm slacking .... but tis the wkend I'll crack on soon (the final posting wk most likely)

we better get outstanding for having to wait so long LOL

worst thing is the more I have to wait the more I keep changing things, I keep seeing different things in the forum causing myself to update and do more work. i should jsut make notes now and leave mym paperwork alone then adjust things when I've got more time and not trying to get it in just incase ofsted decide to pop in

melanieabigail2004
28-02-2009, 08:17 AM
Damn right an outstanding :laughing:

I too am studying (NVQ 3) and could do without all this agro and updating of paperwork.

Mel

ajs
28-02-2009, 08:25 AM
well done for standing your ground mel

i am the same as huggable shelley in that i was due in september 08, had loads of problems so thought they would come and inspect me then applied for a variation had it granted over the phone and still nothing.
i have got to the point where my every weekend is taken up with paperwork and me obsessing about them calling at short notice, that i am going to call them up and say i want to be inspected and very soon.
i was also hoping with a september inspection that i would just have to prove that i had some knowledge of eyfs now they are going to expect all sorts aaaarrrrgggghhhh

i hope you get sorted though mel
good luck

rickysmiths
28-02-2009, 08:34 AM
I know this is frustrating ladies but it is happening all over. There are two cms here that should have had their inspections last July and August, they haven't even had a phone call yet. Others have had their inspection early :eek:

I was due my inspection in Sept 2008, I had a call in the middle of the August asking if they could come. I was about to go on holiday so said my first full working week would not be till mid Sept so she said she would phone then. She rang a week later!!!!!

September came and went, Oct came and went, Nov came and went, Dec came and nearly went!:laughing:
She rang the end of the week just before the week befors Christmas!!! Could she come next week and she wanted me to stay at home every day because she didn't know when she would get to me!:laughing: :laughing:

I sais NO! she couldn't come, I had parties and activities planned for the week and it was not fair to the mindees to cancel them.

It was so funny because she then said 'Well if it is left till the New Year it might not be me that inspects you'!? lol:laughing:
Do I care I was thinking I don't know you, so what difference does it make?:blush:
Anyway she came the second week in Jan only four months late and that was well before EYFS She was with me for 6hours:eek: :eek:

angeldelight
28-02-2009, 10:20 AM
Well done Mel for sticking to your guns

Good luck with your inspection

Keep us posted

Angel xx

geraldine72
28-02-2009, 10:31 AM
good for you you're very brave for sticking up for yourself to ofsted it's the care commission here and i just turn to a quivering wreck when i even hear their voice on the phone. think i need to build on my assertiveness with them. my inspection was also late last year was due in june and got in september. and it was short notice 1 day. i put in for variation in December and still waiting although i think it's planning dept fault as my numbers are going up over 8 at time it has to go through them also. sorry for ranting also:rolleyes:

flora
28-02-2009, 11:25 AM
Good luck with your inspection babe:thumbsup:

emler
28-02-2009, 12:39 PM
well done for giving them hell :laughing: Good luck with your inspection

Rubybubbles
28-02-2009, 01:09 PM
well done for being strong and good luck hunny:)

I had mine in Nov, I wasn;t due until the December so they did okay round here! But I do know of a childminder that was due in July still waiting:panic: I think you need to phone and get these things sorted otherwise it will eat you up!

childmind04
28-02-2009, 01:30 PM
pat on the back for you, but you should not have to do all this :rolleyes:

Chatterbox Childcare
28-02-2009, 02:36 PM
Well done for complaining. There is a complaints section on Ofsted as a body that you can appeal to and is listed on the Ofsted website

Hope it is sorted soon