PDA

View Full Version : days I can't mind?

fucshia
27-02-2009, 06:10 PM
I am not minding yet but thinking ahead. Could anyone please tell me what childminders do if there is a day they have a hospital appointment/dentist etc, can the children come with us? Also what would I do if I am minding by June and need to attend my daughters graduation? Do I just tell parent I can't do that day which seems so mean when they have to work, or is there a way of finding a standby style of person/minder for this type of thing?

Jules27
27-02-2009, 06:14 PM
I tell my parents in advance of any appointments and have all been ok to find other care. I do have a couple of back up minders as well who are good friends.

With regard to your dauhters graduation, book it as holiday or just take the day off, again as long as parents have notice Iam sure the vast majority will be absoultly fine!!

Mollymop
27-02-2009, 06:15 PM
I find this part of the job difficult. I have not been in too many situations where i have had to do something and had to cancel but I have jsut had a MUm's in School letter from my dd's school - I can go into school to be iwth my dd for half a day on 20th March - it is her first year at school and I can't miss it. Now I gotta tell the parents of the 2 kiddie si have on that day/

I hope they have a back up

Alibali
27-02-2009, 06:15 PM
I had my graduation a few months after I started minding too, and I just told all my parents at first visit that I would be taking this as a days holiday.

The kids come to the dentist with me, and if I have an unexpected day off I have a close friend who is a minder ( my contingency partner) and if she has space she will happily help out.

PixiePetal
27-02-2009, 06:59 PM
I tell parents at the interview that there will obviously be odd days which come up that I won't be available and will give as much notice as poss. I do have a life outside of work and some things are unavoidable - trips to theatre for example and long weekends away :thumbsup: :laughing: :laughing:

I always think that if I was ill they would need to find alternative without notice so by giving notice of day off I am being reasonable.

huggableshelly
27-02-2009, 07:06 PM
yes long weekends away and theatre trips are just as important hee hee

you are self employed, you chose your own hours and working days, if you want time off them take it providing parents have enough notice, most can use grandparents or other relatives to cover.

As for school stuff ... my school is very good and allows me to take in one younger child but no more, so far I've never had the issue where I havent been able to work due to an activity in school for either of my children.

peanuts
27-02-2009, 08:40 PM
i give the parents enough notice and remind them nearer the time

bubbly
27-02-2009, 08:57 PM
I have to attend lots of hospital appointments with my own son.

If the appts. are close to the end of my working day, I ask parents if they can collect early and don't charge for the rest of the day.

If the appts. are early in the day, I tell parents in advance and if they can't have the mindees at home, I offer to take them with me. The parents usually take me up on my 'offer' :laughing:

You need to bear in mind that if you take the mindees with you, you can't leave them in the waiting room with a friend. You have to keep them physically with you. This has always been quite a challenge for me because my son's consultant's room is no bigger than a broom cupboard - we're all squashed in, buggy included :laughing: