PDA

View Full Version : planting seed theme help pls

mushpea
27-02-2009, 05:46 PM
I am planning to do a 'planting seeds' theme over the next 2 weeks, I have bought lots of different veg, fruit and salad seeds that can be grown in pots and they now need sowing so thought i could make it in to our theme but am having difficulty fitting other things in to it, like when we did healthy foods we made fruit from playdough, did fruity painting, played with porridge oats in the sand tray etc but can't think of anything for seeds, don't really want to involve to much of the growing side of it as wanted to do this later when they start to sprout..
obviously they will grow seeds but what else could we do please?

Trouble
27-02-2009, 05:49 PM
you can get pots of seeds to taste

guess which seed belongs with which plant depending on age

make bird feeders with lard and seeds:idea:

huggableshelly
27-02-2009, 06:03 PM
I've made some books with plain paper in them

kiddies will have a seed and magnifying glasses so they can see it better (duh sate the obvious Shelly)
they can then draw the seed on page one and describe it (well the older ones can) my youngers ones will just draw the seed and write the word seed with a few markin making words to go with it.
I have extra seeds so they can also stick a seed on the page with their pic.

I bought some moss pots from homebase so the children can then plant their own seed in their own pot, as it gets bigger they go into the planter or garden insode their pot (i hate replanting as not too careful with roots)

the children will be drawing as their plant grows and taking pictures for their books, older children will be encouraged to write a description of it

then more pics once its fully grown, so each child then has a completed book of their seed growing sessions.

huggableshelly
27-02-2009, 06:08 PM
oh yeah also i'm doing a flower number line

each flower will have a number in the center, i'm adding bees and butterlies too along with ants ladybirds ... insects that like the flowers.

the rest of my ideas are the usual hand print flowers cutting petals, junk model minature garden

i've also got caterpillars arriving next tues so we can watch them turn into butterflies and set them free to hopefully enjoy the new flowers we managed to grow.

mushpea
28-02-2009, 08:49 AM
some lovley ideas thanks

where do you get the cattapillers from? is it expensive to set up? hope you dont mind me being nosey about it but i am going to do bugs soon and this would go brilliantly with it.
thanks