PDA

View Full Version : lack of confidence..help!

sarah500
27-02-2009, 10:39 AM
HI ladies
I am in my first week of childminding and am looking after a 7th month old during the day and a 4 year old after school. I feel so unconfident that I am not doing things as ofsted expect me too.
I hve 2 children of my own and when they had a nap i used to go upstairs and put my washing away etc, but when the 7th month sleeps i feel like i have to be with him all the time and am worrying whnever i do something like put my washng on that ofsted wouldnt approve.
I dont know if I am being too hard on myself or not I guess its just hard as you dont really get any feeback on how you are coping etc like you would doing a 'normal' job
does anyone else have low confidence and also how do i pull myself out of it??!
sarah
xx

huggableshelly
27-02-2009, 10:47 AM
it is fine to leave the room for a few minutes providing baby is within earshot
but I wouldnt do it infront of ofsted.

Baby is safe sleeping no other children who may poke or prod to wake, you do not gain lunch breaks like other jobs so you are entitled to step away to do quick jobs, grab a drink, pop to the loo.

I try and get my washing done at night or early in the day when I have no children but on drier days I hand my washing and fold it whilst working, kiddies are outside with me as i have no sleepers. I then leave it in a pile on my stairs ready to take up after working hours.

Dont beat yourself up continously questiong yourself.

1 is baby safe
2 how long will you be
3 can you hear baby at all times
4 risk assements - if baby wakes can they get out of their sleeping area, can you get to them quick enough without causing an accident to yourself.

ok I'm off you are doing well to have 2 kiddies in your care enjoy it dont stress.

angeldelight
27-02-2009, 11:06 AM
Oh poor you Sarah

Your confidence will come dont worry its really early days for you yet and its all new and strange

You cant sit twiddling your thumbs can you if baby is asleep for an hour and no one would expect you to do that

If baby is safe and secure go and do that washing - just make sure you do regular checks of baby

Relax and enjoy

Angel xx

Mollymop
27-02-2009, 11:25 AM
I used to feel lke you when I first started minding. There is nothing wrong with doing odd jobs round the house while you are working. I do washing and polishing, etc. The children help me fold the clothes and have their own duster and enjoy dusting away and the parents love it.

If baby is sleeping and is safe, let lo sleep as long as you check on lo every 15 mins or so.

You will start feeling more confident after a while.

karenandsmile
27-02-2009, 11:26 AM
ever thought of putting the travel cot in the room you want to work on that way your are there if required but if up stairs you have to be registered for your up stairs too so if only down stairs registered then you should stay down stairs but that shouldnt stop you putting your washing on and folding it down stairs while the baby sleeps

Chatterbox Childcare
27-02-2009, 11:30 AM
I use the whole of my house for minding and the children each sleep in travel cots/beds and I carry out and do my homely chores. Cooking, cleaning, tidying all gets done, otherwise you will be up until midnight and that is without paperwork.

You are doing a great job - don't burn out by being super woman

sarah500
27-02-2009, 11:30 AM
I also get quite nervous whn dealing with the parents too - in case they think im doing something wrong - im just a natural worrier i guess

Oh poor you Sarah

Your confidence will come dont worry its really early days for you yet and its all new and strange

You cant sit twiddling your thumbs can you if baby is asleep for an hour and no one would expect you to do that

If baby is safe and secure go and do that washing - just make sure you do regular checks of baby

Relax and enjoy

Angel xx

Daftbat
27-02-2009, 11:36 AM
Its normal to feel a little nervous especially when first starting minding but it will ease in time once you have found the routines that work best for you and the children. I am registered for upstairs and always put babies to sleep in travel cot in my bedroom with baby monitor on. Then i can get on with whatever i need to do and move the monitor around with me as i go.

As previous poster said - you need to keep on top of household chores otherwise you will be dpoing it till midnight and all weekend.

sarah500
27-02-2009, 12:06 PM
Its normal to feel a little nervous especially when first starting minding but it will ease in time once you have found the routines that work best for you and the children. I am registered for upstairs and always put babies to sleep in travel cot in my bedroom with baby monitor on. Then i can get on with whatever i need to do and move the monitor around with me as i go.

As previous poster said - you need to keep on top of household chores otherwise you will be dpoing it till midnight and all weekend.

My upstairs isnt registered but he usually falls asleep in the pram when I pick my daughter up from nursery at lunchtime and his mum is fine for him to have his nap whilst in the pram - it stay in my hallway and I can hear him if I am downstairs or upstairs

Tatjana
27-02-2009, 12:13 PM
Ah bless you, i haven't starting minding yet but i'm sure i'll worry just like you!

The others have given really good advice, i was wondering when i'd fit in all the housework and was thinking of doing it in the evening...but probably rethink that after reading this thread!

Hope you're feeling more confident soon.

xx

geraldine72
27-02-2009, 12:14 PM
it is really hard when you first start because you're getting to know kids too and what they're capable of doing, how long they sleep etc. i don't leave the kids at activity time but if they are settled to sleep or calm time i will run up stairs with washing or to bring washing down etc. i've been cm for 5 years and still get butterflies in stomach when doing this yet we would happily do this with our own kids. it's a good sign you're taking responsibility so seriously and you'll chill out with time. good luck and enjoy:clapping:

pinklady
27-02-2009, 12:40 PM
I haven't started minding yet and I'm sure I'll have similar feelings but my ofsted inspector told me at my pre-reg that it was great for children to see and be involved in 'light household chores' parents have,after all, chosen to put their children into a domestic setting.

As for sleeping babies, I have made up a sleep chart where I will record times I've checked sleeping child and other info relating to their nap time. As long as you're checking them at regular intervals I really can't see a problem with it and you can do so much in a few un-interrupted minutes.

Esther xx

donnadoo2004200
27-02-2009, 03:35 PM
OMG do your washing and whatever else you can fit in. I watch loose women when my little babes are napping but I make sure I check on the every 15 min and have a monitor so I can hear them. Disadvantage watching loose women I have to do paperwork in the eve ahhhhh:)