PDA

View Full Version : Sick mindees

Roseolivia
26-02-2009, 07:59 PM
Why is it that whenever a mindee is sick you feel guilty for not allowing them in your setting. One of my mindee's has a contagious virus,been off today but mum rang to say child better is it okay to come tomorrow. I've said 'no if that's ok' as i don't want to catch this virus and then have to be off sick. Mum okay about it but i always feel guilty, is anyone else like this?

geraldine72
26-02-2009, 08:11 PM
yes i know how you feel and sometimes parents not as understanding or even worst send sick child and not tell you they've been sick.

the joys of childcare

Geraldine:eek:

sarah707
26-02-2009, 08:26 PM
Yes I know that one too!

It can be really hard but if a child is ill they should be at home.

Just focus that you are doing your best for the child... that's all you can do

louise
26-02-2009, 08:43 PM
I feel the same. Had to say no to having one today. Mum texted me to say is it ok for him to come as he hasn't been at preschool as he had a funny tummy. I said no and felt guilty. I then remembered this mum isnt working at the mo so i dont need to. Trying to find out how my other mindee is as she was off food, last nappy wasn't to nice and was sounding croaky. Have a feel no matter what she will be here as mum is the only management tom as she has asked me to start early. dunno why i said yes.

Rubybubbles
26-02-2009, 08:53 PM
yes! also I was really sick last night lost count of how many times and taken today and tomorrow off (48 hour) and the dad was really off:( I feel like :censored: without him going off on one

Daftbat
26-02-2009, 09:26 PM
I end up not only feeling guilty about refusing ill mindees and being unable to work myself because of illness but also about taking time off work for holidays. I am going to Paris next weekend and taking the friday and monday off. Have given loads of notice (5 months) but today still been asked if still going and can i arrange cover with another minder! Have done it but why can't they organise themselves?

Mollymop
26-02-2009, 09:31 PM
YES! I think we all are like this, aren't we?

I never feel guilty asking for my payments but I feel guilty sending children home or refusing to look after them

I think because deep down we fear it might make the parents feel as if we don't really want them with us and are looking for excuses to keep them away, even though that is not true and parents know this (well most do) it still plays on your mind, or at least it does on mine

Mollymop
26-02-2009, 09:33 PM
yes! also I was really sick last night lost count of how many times and taken today and tomorrow off (48 hour) and the dad was really off:( I feel like :censored: without him going off on one

Yes Iknow how you feel!

I was ill a few weeks back, luckily the parent was ok about it, but I still felt wracked with guilt.

Roseolivia
27-02-2009, 08:37 AM
At least i know i'm not the only one. It's weird though as when i worked in a nursery i never felt bad about sending anyone home. Maybe it's because she's my full time mindee and i know both parents have busy jobs.