PDA

View Full Version : Exemption from Jury Service

claireLouise
26-02-2009, 01:10 PM
Hi guys,

I have this morning received notice that I am on the register for jury service and can be called anytime in the next 2 years. One of my friends is sure she heard that childminders could apply for exemption due to the stress of letting down their families and needing to give parents notice to take time off. She said I would need to write a covering letter and a letter for each parent to sign.

Has anyone done this and got an exemption, if so please could I get a copy of the letters you sent as I do not know where to start.

Thanks

Claire:panic:

amirose
26-02-2009, 01:11 PM
Hiya, no idea but is there not a number on the letter you can ring?

cher25
26-02-2009, 01:14 PM
Hi someone else on here got called up recently, if you have a good look for the thread that will help or someone else will be along shortly to help more.

PixiePetal
26-02-2009, 01:31 PM
I was made exempt from jury service when I got called last year. I wrote about it being inappropriate for continuity of care for all the families to find alternative care for young children all 3 and under and for an an undeterminable amount of time.

Got a letter to say I was exempt. Relief for all of us!:)

HelenJC
26-02-2009, 01:42 PM
I received exemption from jury service as well a couple of years ago. Again I explained I would have to upset 5 families and make alternative arrangements for them which would be impossible. I also stipulated what my daily rate of pay was for re-imbursement purposes. They said straight away I would be given exemption and would not be called again.

Helen

FizzysFriends
26-02-2009, 01:59 PM
Hi guys,

I have this morning received notice that I am on the register for jury service and can be called anytime in the next 2 years. One of my friends is sure she heard that childminders could apply for exemption due to the stress of letting down their families and needing to give parents notice to take time off. She said I would need to write a covering letter and a letter for each parent to sign.

Has anyone done this and got an exemption, if so please could I get a copy of the letters you sent as I do not know where to start.

Thanks

Claire:panic:

I think you need to wait until you are called up.

rickysmiths
26-02-2009, 02:18 PM
Scotland may be different because in England we are only called when we are needed and we are certainly not advised we are on a register for two years. We are all on the Electoral Role from 18yrs old until we are 70 years old.

I have been caalled four times over the years. once as a stundentand got exemption. Also as a cm because of continuity of care and having so many families that would have to find care for a potentially unknown time. My own children were very little at the time and because I worked from home it would have been very difficult for me to arrange childcare for a short time.

tulip0803
26-02-2009, 07:56 PM
My DH got called last year, no notice just the court date. He was really looking forward to it - sent his form back and they rang and said they didn't want him:laughing:

The NCMA says in the handbook - "At some point you may be called up for Jury Service. It is a public duty and, if at all possible, you should attend.

However, if you are caring for children from several families who would all have to arrange alternative childcare, you may feel that it is not possible to attend. In this case, you can apply to have your jury service deferred to a later date or ask to be excused. Each application for deferral or excusal is considered individually and the application can be refused, in which case you will have to attend. Whatever you decide you must reply to the Jury Summons as otherwise you may have to pay a fine."

lesley
26-02-2009, 08:24 PM
Found this website awhile ago and had it in my favourites

http://www.childmindingmatters.org.uk/advice_jury_service.html

Lesley

claireLouise
26-02-2009, 08:35 PM
I was made exempt from jury service when I got called last year. I wrote about it being inappropriate for continuity of care for all the families to find alternative care for young children all 3 and under and for an an undeterminable amount of time.

Got a letter to say I was exempt. Relief for all of us!:)

Thanks I will use the continuity of care approach.

Claire

claireLouise
26-02-2009, 08:40 PM

Lesley

Excellent website.

Thanks, Claire

Pudding Girl
26-02-2009, 09:00 PM
Am sure the SCMA would advise - it is a different way of doing it in Scotland, my Husband had his 2 yrs notice through last week :eek:

angeldelight
27-02-2009, 07:11 AM

Lesley

Thanks for that link Lesley very interesting

Angel xx