PDA

View Full Version : Childminders on strike !!!

angeldelight
01-02-2008, 11:24 PM
In the West Midlands next week teachers might be on strike on Tuesday

http://www.bbc.co.uk/birmingham/content/articles/2006/03/27/school_closures_feature.shtml

So it got me thinking about us childminders ....

We do not want all this EYFS
We do not want all this extra planning
We do not want all the extra paper work

LETS GO ON STRIKE

Seriously there is no one to support us

Ofsted do not listen

Does anyone ? Well yes of course you do if you are another childminder

We have no one

What wouild happen I wonder if we DID GO ON STRIKE??

Angel xx

mamapink
01-02-2008, 11:32 PM
power to the childminder!

angeldelight
01-02-2008, 11:33 PM
Yeah power to us ha

xx

Tily Bud
01-02-2008, 11:37 PM
Fanrastic idea Angel :thumbsup:

charleyfarley
01-02-2008, 11:41 PM
Right then

What day we striking??:clapping:

Carol xx

angeldelight
01-02-2008, 11:44 PM
JUNE 2ND

The weather will be nice and warm and we can all meet up

Wonder what the parents would say ?

xxx

bubbly
02-02-2008, 12:02 AM
I'm there already with a picnic.

Unfortunately the parents couldn't have the kids at such short notice so I brought 'em with me. Forgot to do a risk assessment - they're currently playing with traffic in the road. I hope they don't get too squashed whilst I'm writing my obs. Good job I remembered my emergency contact numbers and First Aid kit.

These egg mayo sarnies sure are tasty. Hope I don't poison anyone as I haven't found a food hygiene course that fits in with my free time i.e. 3.30 - 3.35am Sunday March 18th 2084.

Anyone for croquet?:laughing:

carolinel
02-02-2008, 12:21 AM
haha, bubbly you have really made me laugh!! thanks!!

Fifi
02-02-2008, 12:25 AM
Or we could sign the petition for now
http://openeyecampaign.wordpress.com/?page_id=18&preview=true

http://openeyecampaign.wordpress.com/open-eye-petition/

Pipsqueak
02-02-2008, 12:35 AM
I'm there already with a picnic.

Unfortunately the parents couldn't have the kids at such short notice so I brought 'em with me. Forgot to do a risk assessment - they're currently playing with traffic in the road. I hope they don't get too squashed whilst I'm writing my obs. Good job I remembered my emergency contact numbers and First Aid kit.

These egg mayo sarnies sure are tasty. Hope I don't poison anyone as I haven't found a food hygiene course that fits in with my free time i.e. 3.30 - 3.35am Sunday March 18th 2084.

Anyone for croquet?:laughing:

:eek: :eek: :eek:

That made me laugh :laughing:
At least we can laugh at ourselves!!!

We should have a union.... I'll strike to but would probably have to bring the kids with me:rolleyes:

bubbly
02-02-2008, 12:43 AM
haha, bubbly you have really made me laugh!! thanks!!
There's nothing left in me except to laugh out of sheer frustration.
It's like Nightmare On Elm Street and Freddy kruger is the Ofsted inspector :panic:

crazybones
02-02-2008, 07:39 AM
Or we could sign the petition for now
http://openeyecampaign.wordpress.com/?page_id=18&preview=true

http://openeyecampaign.wordpress.com/open-eye-petition/

I am so glad I found this site. I didnt even know this existed.

Annie x

chubbymummy
02-02-2008, 08:11 AM
do we need to have a policy "in the event of a childminders strike"?

.................. i will take the children i have on that day with me wherever i go............. please sign to say you agree ..........

sarah707
02-02-2008, 09:10 AM
I'll tell you what would happen round here... the parents would take their children and put them in the 109 place whizzy new-build nursery that is currently being erected about 3 streets away from me... it will do their dry cleaning, organise their cleaners and probably make the parents packed lunches...

Then I'll be sat here all on my own.... ahhh, bliss! :D

berkschick
02-02-2008, 09:16 AM
Lol Bubbly :laughing:

I wonder how hard it is to set up a Union?

Seriously, is there any kind of group we could set up to represent Childminders?

I know there are lots of petitions about but I think we really need an action group!

crazybones
02-02-2008, 09:19 AM

Seriously, is there any kind of group we could set up to represent Childminders?

I know there are lots of petitions about but I think we really need an action group!

OH MY LORD Can you imagine Ofsted's faces if we officially ganged up on them.:eek: I wish someone was brave enough to do this.

Annie x

bubbly
02-02-2008, 09:24 AM
We all joined a union in my last job after the company got taken over. It was all-out war from that point but I think it would've been anyway. The union certainly stood up for us and I dread to think what would've happened without it.

Now back to 5 million risk assessments I have to get done this weekend!

berkschick
02-02-2008, 09:25 AM
Im up for it Annie!

But too scared to do it alone lol

manjay
02-02-2008, 09:33 AM
Let me know if you are going to do a protest! I have always fancied chaining myself to something for a good cause!

Even though all this doesn't affect me (yet) I really feel for you all

amanda xx

bubbly
02-02-2008, 09:42 AM
I have always fancied chaining myself to something for a good cause!

amanda xx
I bet hubby could make a few suggestions that involve furry handcuffs and baby lotion :laughing: :D :laughing:

manjay
02-02-2008, 09:52 AM
I bet hubby could make a few suggestions that involve furry handcuffs and baby lotion :laughing: :D :laughing:

No! He is more likely to chain me to the central reservation on the M6!!

amanda xx

crazybones
02-02-2008, 09:56 AM

OMG who has been peeking in my bedroom:blush:

Annie

ajs
02-02-2008, 10:04 AM

why don't why send this whole thread to the organisation that is meant to support us the
national childminders association
and see what they say

bubbly that was so funny that is exactly what i feel like

*** em all lets just do our job and not follow eyfs what's the worst that could happen we won't be struck off we may get satisfactory at inspection but that's good enough for me as long as my mums think i am good that's all that matters xx

berkschick
02-02-2008, 10:10 AM
Good idea Mandy, send it to NCMA!

Exactly, thats my thinking behind it all.

Parents choose childminders over nurseries because it is a more relaxed home from home environment.

I doubt getting satisfactory for not following these crazy new guidelines will put people off. As long as the children are thriving, are not fed junk and sat in front of the TV for 10 hours, are loved and well cared for then that would be enough for most parents that chose us over nurseries I think. Like I said on the other thread, most of it is common sense that we have all used with our own children anyway!

I would go to the park, shops, library, do art and craft, cooking, etc without ofsted breating down my neck because they are natural things to do with growing children!

Pipsqueak
02-02-2008, 10:25 AM
do we need to have a policy "in the event of a childminders strike"?

.................. i will take the children i have on that day with me wherever i go............. please sign to say you agree ..........

:joker: :ROFL1:

Thats it, I have officially cracked up now.....

peggy
02-02-2008, 10:43 AM
bring it on!!

:group hug:

angeldelight
02-02-2008, 11:33 AM
You have all made me laugh

What about if we all walk behind Pauline and stand out side the Ofsted office and shout " we are on strike " haha

Just imagine us lot turning up and us lot on the tv with our banners and heaps of kids behind us because of course we do not want to lose a days pay hahaha

Angel xx

Pipsqueak
02-02-2008, 11:40 AM
Do you think we could prime the kids to say "OFSTED stink" and "We want our childminders back".....

angeldelight
02-02-2008, 11:46 AM
haha sounds good to me haha

xx

angeldelight
02-02-2008, 11:47 AM
a bit of education teaching the kids to make a " we are on strike " banner

sarah707
02-02-2008, 11:50 AM
Oh I am sure I could plan making a banner to eyfs...

PSED - learning to care for those who care for you
CLL - talking about what the banner says and learning initial sounds
PSR&N - size and space taken up by the letters
KUW - going on a visit to London of course! And learning about the world beyond the garden
PD - using a paint brush (fine motor skills)
CD - getting messy and having fun in a painting apron

There! Now... when is this going to happen exactly? :D

deeb66
02-02-2008, 03:50 PM
I have read all your posts and have been laughing my head off:laughing: :laughing:

I was wondering when someone would realise that we would loose our pay if we went on strike:rolleyes:

Just like you to cause unrest and give out ideas like this Angel.....think I might have to pull off your halo and throw it in the bin ;) :laughing: :laughing:

angeldelight
04-02-2008, 08:49 AM
Hahaha thanks Dee but I think that is long gone anway ha

Well so I am told - but I am not admitting to being naughty !!

Angel xx

Blaze
04-02-2008, 09:35 AM
LOL...this thread has really made me laugh...& Angel you have finally admited your naughty!!!!

Seriously though we don't have the option of not following EYFS as it mandatory...legally we have to do it...we would be graded as unsatisfactory & potentially could loose our registrations if we don't! A bit like if we refused to follow the national standards now!

Tasha:mad:

ajs
04-02-2008, 09:42 AM
ok tasha i'm willing if you are

elaineg
04-02-2008, 02:08 PM
It would be worth handcuffing ourselves to a fence, if it would mean a few hunky firemen would have to come and free us.

love Elaine XXX

angeldelight
04-02-2008, 02:10 PM
That sounds a great idea Elaine

Lets do it ha

Angel xx

Banana
04-02-2008, 02:40 PM
This is so funny :D

Unfortunately I dont think childminders going on strike would do anything apart from P*** off the parents of our mindees - and we wouldnt get paid.

So whats the next idea?

Would be good if we could though eh!

x

angeldelight
04-02-2008, 02:41 PM
Yeah Lana you are right haha

Fun to think of it though

xxx

honey
06-02-2008, 12:14 PM
that sounds like a great idea. let me know the date and i'll join you ha ha

bestmum2have
06-02-2008, 01:02 PM
I like the idea of Firefighters as long as they look like IL divo. It'll be worth looseing money for.

son77
06-02-2008, 02:25 PM
I could just see myself outside downing street with my flask of tea, a fire burning by my side, a huge banner & shouting
'EYFS STINKS'
'GIVE CHILDMINDERS A FAIR DEAL'
'WE WANT A PAY RISE BECAUSE OF ALL THE EXTRA PAPERWORK'
ETC ETC

Now onto the legal requirements, it does say in the EYFS book under 'meeting the welfare requirements' section 3.6

This guidance gives examples of action providers are likely to have to take in order to meet the general & specific legal requirements; however, providers may be able to comply by using other methods, in which case they can depart from the statutory guidance provided that they are able to demomstrate that their alternative approach achieves the same ends.

Now surely that gives us some flexibility to adapt this to suit our setting??

Pipsqueak
06-02-2008, 03:41 PM
I can strike on Friday (its my day off!) :D

buildingblocks
06-02-2008, 08:44 PM
[QUOTE=berkschick;43318]Seriously, is there any kind of group we could set up to represent Childminders?QUOTE]

I thought that was what the NCMA was for!!!!! :confused: (ducks the rotten tomatoes everyone throws)

Seriously though they are supposed to listen to our views but do they!!!!

Amaranth
06-02-2008, 09:41 PM
Lol, what a fantastic thread, I love the way you linked it to the eyfs areas Sarah :laughing: :laughing:
By the way, does anyone know what we actually pay our money to ncma for. What do they actually DO for us????

Loving the avatar Bubbly, very nice :)

Carole xx

bubbly
06-02-2008, 10:23 PM
Loving the avatar Bubbly, very nice :)

Carole xx
Aww, shucks :blush:

angeldelight
06-02-2008, 10:30 PM
What do NCMA do for us Carole ???

THEY TAKE OUR MONEY SILLY !!!!

Angel xx

Amaranth
06-02-2008, 10:47 PM
Boy do they ever, Angel. I pay my annual subscription and have had my insurance with them for the last 3 years, but because i needed to insure from the end of March i miss out on the up to date versions of their handbooks by 1 day. If I want the up to date books I have to pay for them!:eek: and they will not help with changing my insurance to 1st April so I can get them that way, they say I'd have to go uninsured for a day! (no way). Which is one of the reasons I am going with Morton Mchel this year :laughing:

Carole xx

Trouble
06-02-2008, 10:48 PM
i use them for everything is mm cheaper do you know

angeldelight
06-02-2008, 10:51 PM
Carole that is so stupid

I would email them and complain !

Angel xx

Pipsqueak
06-02-2008, 10:52 PM
NCMA sends us a lovely mag telliing us how great they are every so often!! Do you not appreciate what your hard earned pennies give you:cool:

angeldelight
06-02-2008, 10:54 PM
Yes and half the time I do not even get mine

The cheek of it !

Angel xx

Amaranth
06-02-2008, 10:57 PM
Rascal, Morton Michel are slightly more than ncma,£35 a year including employers liability, but you can use your own contracts, terms and conditions and child record forms. So will prob work out cheaper in the long run.

Carole xx

Trouble
06-02-2008, 10:58 PM
thank you carol that probably sounds better:thumbsup:

son77
06-02-2008, 11:02 PM
I too am going to MM this year.

angeldelight
06-02-2008, 11:03 PM
Yes I am also

Angel xx