PDA

View Full Version : Getting to big for travel cot

Tired
26-02-2009, 11:22 AM
I mind an 18 month old boy, who is big for his age.
He is too big for the travel cot I use. However, I would not feel happy leaving him to sleep on the settee or in a bed, as he would wander about the room, causing who knows what mischief.
He ususally sleeps in my lounge, but there are too many breakable things in there to leave him alone when he is not in a cot.

What does everyone else do? Any ideas?

amirose
26-02-2009, 11:37 AM
I really liked these ready beds http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3486827/Trail/searchtext%3EREADY+BED.htm but not really sure how well that will stop him wandering round the room :panic:

singlewiththree
26-02-2009, 11:41 AM
I mind an 18 month old boy, who is big for his age.
He is too big for the travel cot I use. However, I would not feel happy leaving him to sleep on the settee or in a bed, as he would wander about the room, causing who knows what mischief.
He ususally sleeps in my lounge, but there are too many breakable things in there to leave him alone when he is not in a cot.

What does everyone else do? Any ideas?

He must be a big boy then :) I have a babydan playpen which is larger or perhaps you could get a larger travel cot. I don't think there is any way of stopping him wandering about if you don't pen him in or wait until he just falls asleep?

Mrs M
26-02-2009, 12:10 PM
Do you have room dividers? You could divide part of a room off for him. Could you not remove the breakable items from the room to enable him to stay in there safely?

flora
26-02-2009, 12:12 PM
Golly he must be a big chap, my dd is coming up 3 and she is still ok in both out travel cots.

Why do you think it is too small??

Tired
26-02-2009, 12:17 PM
I thought travel cots were all about the same size, but perhaps I was wrong. Its a Graco Pac 'n' Play. (not the new compact one, an older version)

He reaches from the top to the bottom when he is stretched out. When he wakes up he stands up and is much taller than the cot. He holds the sides and rocks backwards and forwards, and I'm scared he will tip the whole thing over one day soon.

Got a 9 month old starting in July, so was hoping to put the new child in the travel cot and get something else for the toddler, but dont know what "something else" i want.

PixiePetal
26-02-2009, 12:42 PM
I had a really old mothercare travel cot which was quite small.

Mindees mum has given me her bigger mothercare one as he no longer needed it. Much nicer than my faded one and deeper too.

Shirlwith3
26-02-2009, 01:21 PM
Why don't you just use a pushchair? I once minded to little boys who were about 3 weeks different in age one would go upstairs in cot while the otehr wopuld go to sleep in the pushchair, found he slept better in it he too was too big for a tarvel cot.

Shirl

mushpea
26-02-2009, 06:09 PM
I used to use a travel cot but now mine sleep in the buggy or on the sofa (if old enough).
i stopped the travel cot as i had to have them upstairs and in the hols my two would get the hump when they couldnt play upstiars when somone was sleeping so now they sleep in buggys, manily in the garden wrapped up warm and they sleep for longer too!! after all the EYFS states that they should be outside for a certain amount of time:D , seriously though they go in the back garden or my conservatory in the buggy where i can both see and hear them and they sleep fine.

PixiePetal
26-02-2009, 06:15 PM
I used to use a travel cot but now mine sleep in the buggy or on the sofa (if old enough).
i stopped the travel cot as i had to have them upstairs and in the hols my two would get the hump when they couldnt play upstiars when somone was sleeping so now they sleep in buggys, manily in the garden wrapped up warm and they sleep for longer too!! after all the EYFS states that they should be outside for a certain amount of time:D , seriously though they go in the back garden or my conservatory in the buggy where i can both see and hear them and they sleep fine.

I have two who sleep in a buggy. Just bought a Jane tandem. Cosy toes are really snug and she sleeps for hours in the garden just outside patio door where I can see her. Put the other one who sleeps at same time in single in the hall so nearly 3 yr old can play happily and all within sight/hearing. Actually nearly 3 yr old fell asleep too on the armchair so I had a peaceful hour or so on Mon pm :thumbsup:

Chatterbox Childcare
26-02-2009, 06:40 PM
I would go for the larger travel costs. Asda and Toys r Us are at £25 each