PDA

View Full Version : Networks - Whose a member of one?

Pedagog
25-02-2009, 09:45 PM
So a few questions about networks!

Who belongs to one?

What are the Pros and Cons of belonging to one?

Are there any additional costs involved?

Anything else you can think to tell me.

Thanks in advance.

sarah707
25-02-2009, 10:05 PM
I've just joined mine.

They have training that is specific to members.

They are funding some training for me that nobody else would fund.

There are resources to borrow (not seen them yet but I believe they are there)...

:D

Pipsqueak
25-02-2009, 10:10 PM
We don't have a formal network yet but we operate as one;
specific training days,
funding and resources
we are also part of the Inclusive network - meaning we are trained to be able to offer specific services to families/children via social services referrals and help
more or less the same as Sarah

angeldelight
25-02-2009, 10:19 PM
I have been a member for a few years

Are you thinking of joining yours ?

Angel xx

Pedagog
25-02-2009, 10:20 PM
Thank you ladies.

twise
25-02-2009, 10:20 PM
I am in one. We meet every six weeks for different types of training. The other week we had a story sack workshop which I have to say was very good and at the end we were all given free story sacks worth about £50.

The training is done on an evening from 7:30 until 9:30 which can be a bit tiring but most of the time worth it.

I get assessed evey 3 months by the Network Coordinator....she just ensures paperwotk in order and NCMA regulations followed etc. This can get annoying but it does stop you leaving paperwork until the last minute!!

Overall i think it's a good idea and you also get to meet other minders in your borough

Tracy

Pedagog
25-02-2009, 10:22 PM
I have been a member for a few years

Are you thinking of joining yours ?

Angel xx

Trying to find one:rolleyes:

angeldelight
25-02-2009, 10:22 PM
I am in one. We meet every six weeks for different types of training. The other week we had a story sack workshop which I have to say was very good and at the end we were all given free story sacks worth about £50.

The training is done on an evening from 7:30 until 9:30 which can be a bit tiring but most of the time worth it.

I get assessed evey 3 months by the Network Coordinator....she just ensures paperwotk in order and NCMA regulations followed etc. This can get annoying but it does stop you leaving paperwork until the last minute!!

Overall i think it's a good idea and you also get to meet other minders in your borough

Tracy

We had free story sacks over a year ago but we havent had much decent lately

Angel xx

Pedagog
25-02-2009, 10:23 PM

Tracy
Sounds interesting, I think I would like to join a network.

beerheaven
25-02-2009, 11:50 PM
I'm on a network. As a member I get access to up to date information, extra training - quite often free, chance to chat with other childminders, and regular visits from the childminding developmental officer. Plus other things I can't remember at this time of night!
All in all I am glad that I joined, despite the six weekly evening meetings!

Pedagog
26-02-2009, 12:27 AM
Thanks for the reply

SimplyLucy
26-02-2009, 06:43 AM
I'd love to join one but we don't have a network in our area, too rural apparently!

singlewiththree
26-02-2009, 07:05 AM
We get free membership in our first year as a childminder with the start up grant. To be honest it has been very informative especially with regards to the capital grant as family info link knew nothing but the network were actively approaching the council on the subject and the woman I contacted was very informative. I've not been able to go to any meetings as yet as I have trouble with childcare myself but I keep saying I will go to the next one but then can't. I also a member of the National Childbirth Trust committee so have meetings at my house and voluntary work for that so I daren't get too involved as I'm sure I will inevitably end up taking on another job.

Buzz Lightyear
26-02-2009, 09:44 AM
Funnily enough, my CM mentor emailed me last night to ask whether I'd joined one yet and if not, whether I'd be interested in going to the one she goes to. I am going to see her today to talk more about it.

huggableshelly
26-02-2009, 09:46 AM
not got one here but the childminders who pick up from the same school as me all meet once a month in school for tea and chat as well as a regular meeting at the childrens centre.

hbomb1
26-02-2009, 09:49 AM
I am in the process of joining my network. My dev officer will visit me evry 6 weeks or so to check paperwork etc. I will also be offered more training, and invited to attend network meetings etc.