PDA

View Full Version : Back up care

vix84
25-02-2009, 03:10 PM
Hiya,

I was going to give parents a photo and contact details of my back up registered childminder - but I have no other Childminders to recommend incase my first one is full.

Can I give details of my friend who is a Nanny - she is registered with Ofsted, police checked and has First Aid?

Also how does back up work - does the back up childminder need to get the parents to fill out new contracts and child record forms on the morning they are dropped off? Or is there anything I could do to cut down on them form filling?

huggableshelly
25-02-2009, 05:00 PM
my idea of a backup childminder is someone you can rely on in an emergancy.

All my parents have her contact details and have signed a consent form to allow me to leave their children in her care along with the childrens emergancy contact cards so the childminder can contact parents asap.

I havent gone through and filled out contracts or child record forms and this works visa versa, there will most likely be an over run of children if ever the emergancy were to happen but atleast the children will be safe.

I havent issued a photo of the childminder as all my parents know her from school but it would be a good idea if your parents could meet her just so they know who to look for.

also a password system needs to be inplace too so the childminder after making calls to parents to rearrange pickups can ask for a password when parents arrive just incase childminder does not know the parents.

you need to ask ofsted about the nanny, also the nanny will need permission from the family she works for as all children will be in their home.

hectors house
26-02-2009, 01:59 PM
I have 2 emergency childminders but on my emergency policy (which the parents have signed), it states that in a life or death situation eg: my husband or children had an accident and are at deaths door - I can leave their children with anyone I would trust with my own children - I am lucky to have retired neighbours who were teachers or a nurse or my mum who is nearby who worked in a school.

I don't care if Ofsted like it or not - am I supposed to say - oh well I didn't get a chance to say goodbye to my family because my emergency childminder wasn't answering her phone. All of the parents of the children I look after work at least 30 - 60 mins drive away.

Ofsted did tell me once that I could only leave the children in an emergency with my emergency childminder if it meant she wasn't over her numbers - what a load of :censored: - surely it would only be until she had called all the parents to get them to come home or make other arrangements - It could take me all day to find a childminder with spaces for all 3 kids.