PDA

View Full Version : assistants and school runs

murphy61
25-02-2009, 10:11 AM
hi

there is a childminder near me and she employs an assistant and i noticed when doing school run this morning that she had sent her assistant to school run (child is over 8) is she allowed to do this? her assistant is a nice girl and obviously she doesn't know whether what she's doing is right or not.

thanks for all help in advance.

p.s. what should i do if this isn't allowed?

cuddlybunny38
25-02-2009, 10:32 AM
not sure really but would of thougt if over 8 then it may be different rules then for an under 8

hopskip30
10-03-2009, 10:58 AM
Someone correct if I am wrong, but as far as I am aware you do not need to be registered to look after children over the age of 8.

I registered on the voluntary register to care for over 8's while my 'proper' registration is being processed but I didn't legally have to do this. I thought that parents would prefer a person who is registered and it also means they can claim tax credits if you are registered.

So I don't think the minder has done anything wrong, providing that the parents are aware!

Hope this helped x

Allie
10-03-2009, 07:34 PM
Not sure of the rules on this one but if you have concerns ring Ofsted and enquire (you don't have to name names) then you can decide whether you want to tell the childminder or assistant

Allie

rickysmiths
10-03-2009, 10:51 PM
I assistants can be with the EYFS children, so those up to the end of Reception and not with those between this and 8yrs which is what it now says on my reg cert with regard to my husband who is registered as my assistant. Hadn't thought about what happens after 8yrs but the above makes sense.

Chatterbox Childcare
11-03-2009, 11:59 PM
The voluntary and Compulsory registers include children outside of the EYFS to age 17.

Sorry this assitant cannot do the school runs and as such would not have insurance putting everyone at risk. Maybe the childminder doesn't understand this.

My advice is to stay neutral and speak to Ofsted to confirm these details and then it is down to you whether to make a formal report or talk to the childminder.

Chatterbox Childcare
12-03-2009, 12:00 AM
Also, if you don't want to do either why don't talk it over with your Dev Officer and they can do a spot visit?

nikim
12-03-2009, 02:21 PM
i asked ofsted a couple of years ago if one of my mindees could walk the dog with my husband and son who was the same age as mindee , they said that he could once he was eight as then he wasnt part of ofsteds registration requirements (iyswim), my husband wasnt registered as an assistant then either the child is no longer with me now so it no longer an issue for me but i do wish ofsted would make things clearer and tell us when they change things, if he was still here i would still be sending him of with them to walk the dog :( and breaking the rules as i wouldnt know any different :eek: maybe thats what happened here

Chatterbox Childcare
12-03-2009, 03:13 PM
i asked ofsted a couple of years ago if one of my mindees could walk the dog with my husband and son who was the same age as mindee , they said that he could once he was eight as then he wasnt part of ofsteds registration requirements (iyswim), my husband wasnt registered as an assistant then either the child is no longer with me now so it no longer an issue for me but i do wish ofsted would make things clearer and tell us when they change things, if he was still here i would still be sending him of with them to walk the dog :( and breaking the rules as i wouldnt know any different :eek: maybe thats what happened here

I was sent a 6 page double sided letter from Ofsted last year before the EYFS outlining all the changes and listed under number 1.1 1.2 etc..

wendywu
12-03-2009, 04:44 PM
Sorry i know i am going to be unpopular but i think i would mind my own business. I would never never never dob another minder in for sending an assistant to collect an 8 year old from school.

The other thread about a minder leaving a child in the car alone yes go for it. It is dangerous. This is not it is just someone who does not understand the new rules. That may or may not be changed.

You all know the pain and trouble it causes when Ofsted knock at the door from minders who have had it done to them on this forum. One recently was because she had sent her husband/assistant to collect from school. Every one was saying poor you it must be another minder they are the only ones who know the rules. Double standards.

At least be honest enough to warn someone that unless they stop doing it you will report them. Sorry it is like some people are just watching to catch other minders out.
If you feel that strongly then have a word first.:panic:

Chatterbox Childcare
12-03-2009, 05:11 PM
Sorry i know i am going to be unpopular but i think i would mind my own business. I would never never never dob another minder in for sending an assistant to collect an 8 year old from school.

The other thread about a minder leaving a child in the car alone yes go for it. It is dangerous. This is not it is just someone who does not understand the new rules. That may or may not be changed.

You all know the pain and trouble it causes when Ofsted knock at the door from minders who have had it done to them on this forum. One recently was because she had sent her husband/assistant to collect from school. Every one was saying poor you it must be another minder they are the only ones who know the rules. Double standards.

At least be honest enough to warn someone that unless they stop doing it you will report them. Sorry it is like some people are just watching to catch other minders out.

I understand what you are saying but this childminder is breaking the LAW. She may or may not know it but what if there was an accident? Ofsted would prosecute and I would have thought the parents too, her house could be gone in a puff of smoke as the insurance wouldn't cover her as she is outside her conditions of registration.

This is why I feel action should be taken and the Dev Officer can be involved without Ofsted being involved, especially if you didn't want to upset the minder or didn't know her very well.

Princess Sara
12-03-2009, 05:12 PM
I'd ring Ofsted to clarify what the details are; can the assistant be left alone with over 8's etc, not naming names, just to get the infomation needed. Then talk to the CM and let her know the details. If she continues after you've told her about it, then report her.

wendywu
12-03-2009, 06:27 PM
No if you are that concerned about the risks and dangers and possible accidents that could happen then be up front about it and speak to the person, do not take the cowards way out and report someone behind their back. :panic: :panic:

wendywu
12-03-2009, 06:36 PM
She may not be on the voluntary register. She may not even be being paid she could be doing it as a favour, she could have a one off permission from Ofsted as it was a emergency, any number of factors could come into play. No one knows what the circumstances are. This minder and her assistant may NOT be braking the law.

It seems a shame that so many peoples first reaction is to scream foul and ring Ofsted.

What is wrong with a kind word in a friendly ear.:panic:

Twinkles
12-03-2009, 08:55 PM
I agree , find out the facts first !
Then have the courtesy due from one professional to another and ask if she is aware of the changes.

wendywu
13-03-2009, 12:14 PM
Twinkles and I checked with our CD officer today about an assistant collecting an 8 year old from school. She said anybody can collect an 8 year old from school.

She also said that Ofsted are in the process of changing the rules so that assistants can collect the older age group from school but still cannot be left at home on their own with them. This new rule is if we keep within the guidelines of the EYFS , which means that assistants who have sole charge must be first aid trained. :thumbsup:

Ben10mad
13-03-2009, 01:35 PM

Other childchildminder.
I totally agree, i read this the other day and thought 2 my self just keep your nose out.
at the end of the day the childminder is not going to put a child in danger because its her career.

Chatterbox Childcare
13-03-2009, 05:02 PM
No if you are that concerned about the risks and dangers and possible accidents that could happen then be up front about it and speak to the person, do not take the cowards way out and report someone behind their back. :panic: :panic:

I see where you are coming from and left it yesterday but came back again today.

No one has said report the childminder to Ofsted but to check with Ofsted on the rules.

Sarah Jane Gale
13-03-2009, 07:33 PM
wendywu = i have to totally AGREE i think its shameful to report another childminder unless you seriously believe that child minder was putting the said child in danger. ANOTHER childminders sister recently only two weeks ago reported me - but i wasnt even working that day!!!! it goes to show unless you know the full ins and outs you dont know whats she allowed or not allowed to do, I know of another childminder that got dobbed in for being over her numbers - well the last laugh was on her cause she had a variance in place!

if it does not concern you - keep your nose out is my advise!

Chatterbox Childcare
14-03-2009, 12:27 AM
I am going to post this in a separate thread as a lot of people are asking about assistants. I received this today from Ofsted:

Dear Ms. Southern,

Thank you for your e-mail.

Ofsted makes the suitability decision on childminding assistants by carrying out a range of checks. For this we seek the assistant\'s consent through asking them to complete an EY2 form. The usual range of checks for an assistant is an enhanced CRB disclosure and checks with social services departments. The childminder may check the identification of assistants applying for enhanced disclosures and send the form to Ofsted\'s National Business Unit for countersignature.

If the EY2 form indicates any health issues, we may ask the assistant to complete a Health Declaration Booklet and obtain a reference from their GP.

The childminder remains responsible for the care of the children at all times. He or she should not normally leave an assistant with children unsupervised.

However Ofsted may agree that it is safe to leave children with an assistant for a short period, for example, when childminders do a school run.

Childminders should not leave assistants alone with children unless they have Ofsted\'s agreement, shown by a condition on their certificate of registration. Childminders must also obtain parental consent and ensure that their insurance covers such an event.

In response to your enquiry Ofsted can only add condition to leave assistant in sole charge in the Early Years age group only. This condition cannot be added to the childcare register as the current legislation prevents this. This means that an assistant can be left in sole charge if the conditions of registration permit it in the Early Years age group only (birth to 31st August following a child's fifth birthday) but cannot be left in sole charge if the child falls into the childcare register age group

I hope you find this information helpful. However should you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards

Tom Gutteridge

Customer Service Advisor

Ofsted - National Business Unit

TEL: 08456 404040

wendywu
15-03-2009, 11:30 PM
Our CD officer said on friday she was awaiting an e mail from Ofsted to confirm what she was told by Ofsted at the meeting about them changing the guidelines. So as soon as she has something in writing i will put it on here.

But she did state that you do not have to be registered to pick up an 8 year old from school.

That it is up to minders if they want to be on the voluntary register or not.

I hope that they will soon get their act together and sort this mess out.