PDA

View Full Version : Fed up with parents whingeing about charges

melanieabigail2004
24-02-2009, 06:21 PM
I have two sets of parents that are school teachers - neither want pay school holidays - not optional I am afraid - exactly why should I earn no money whilst they have 6 weeks off paid????

What does everyone else charge??? Do you give your parents holidays and then charge over an above.

Ta

Mel

Daftbat
24-02-2009, 06:26 PM
I do have some parents who have term time only contracts. I also have parents with holiday only contracts too so it works out ok for me. I did it in the beginning to try and be flexible but only you know what is going to be best financially for you.

rickysmiths
24-02-2009, 06:36 PM
My dh is a teacher and when we needed to use childcare 16yrs ago for our dd we though (haha) that him being at home in the holidays would save us a fortune!!

In 1993 we had to pay the childminder 1/2 fee in the holidays and it was bumped up to full fee for the days we used her.

We still are in touch with her to this day and my dh is currently teaching her grandson! she gave up minding many years ago.

I after 14yrs of childminding have always charged 1/2 fee through the holidays for teachers and parents of children who don't come to me in the holidays.

Chatterbox Childcare
24-02-2009, 06:43 PM
I have been minding for 15 years so my circumstances are different to anyone just starting out.

I have children on holiday contracts that have been with me since they were weeks old who are now at school and school teachers on a term time only contract.

I think you have to judge what is best for you and if the teachers find someone else then you would have to start again.

Twinkles
24-02-2009, 06:49 PM
I work for a lot of teachers - always have done. Over the years I've only had one set of parents complain about having to pay half in the holidays and they moaned about all aspects of money :rolleyes:

Mrs M
24-02-2009, 06:53 PM
I think I am mean. They are allowed six weeks at half pay, the rest at full! Only time they get a freebie is when I'm off. It's only family I work for where dad is a teacher and they weren't really impressed as they thought they could have 13 weeks free! No, sorry, like you say, we need to earn the money.

sammy
24-02-2009, 07:09 PM
i dont charge for holidays, but wish i did, when i first started minding all i had were term time enquiries, so i took them on, but one is for 2 mornings a week, one is for 1 afternoon a week and the other 2 i just pick up and take straight home from school, so as its very part time- i dont see as i could charge in holidays.

But if i had of done things differently i would charge.

hectors house
24-02-2009, 07:20 PM
When I childminded first time round - 16+ years ago, I charged the teachers a quarter fee, as I sometimes had older children (my own children's friends) to mind in the holidays - one teacher (i looked after both her kids) just accepted she had to pay me - even paid when I was on holiday as I explained to her I was paying extra for my holidays so I didn't let her down in term time -

she even paid me when I was on maternity leave - I planned my baby as close as I could get to summer holidays - managed 18th July and had the six weeks off and started again in the Sept,

Now I charge half fee but give the option to still send the children half time - so if they normally come 4 days - they pay for 2 and come for that 2 - I know on the NCMA contracts I could still charge half for the other days they didn't come - but I like having them as not all of the mindees are teachers kids and they miss having their friends around - also don't have to settle them back in again after a long holiday.

If Im on holiday nobody pays me.

Didn't manage to get a day off over half term and I'm :censored:

maple
24-02-2009, 08:59 PM
I have been minding for just over a year now and all my children are part time and all school term time only. For the after schoolies I don't charge them in the holidays but for all the others that come during the day I charge half fess. I did have one parent complain at first saying that the nurseries in the area wouldn't charge in the holidays. I did a bit of ringing around all the nurseries in my local area including the one she mentioned and they all do charge half fees, so in the end she agreed to pay it.

Shar
24-02-2009, 09:05 PM
I do not charge the three sets of parents that are term time only in the school holidays. This works for me as I enjoy taking the others out to more grown up places. Also the school holiday children's parents pay more in the holidays so it swings in roundabouts. Works out about the same and it works for me. Do whatever works for you.:thumbsup:

mrs c
24-02-2009, 09:20 PM
I have a few parents who are teachers and I charge half pay for the holidays. I've never had any complaints - most cms in this area do the same - the only one I know who did not charge half pay wished she had done.

berkschick
24-02-2009, 09:35 PM
I charge 50% too in the holidays for term time only contracts

beerheaven
24-02-2009, 11:06 PM
I have one family who have term time only contract. I don't charge during hols because I like having just the older ones so easier to do day trips.

claireLouise
24-02-2009, 11:24 PM
I charge full fees in the holidays except when I am on holiday and these weeks are free.

I have recently lost one of my mindees because the parent only wanted to pay for the hours she was with me. As I am replacing a fuill time income this was not financially viable.

Claire

singlewiththree
25-02-2009, 07:20 AM
I've only charged term time only because I don't want to earn too much money as I'm getting financial help with my degree plus I too don't want little ones in the holidays as mine are getting older so we can do older things.

Mollymop
25-02-2009, 07:23 AM
I charge half fees for term time only kiddies, after all I would lose out on a lot of money in the 6 weeks hols. x

angeldelight
25-02-2009, 07:35 AM
I have teachers and I dont charge but that is only because I have other children in the holidays that more than cover the fees I would lose

If I didnt have the other children I would charge and ignore parents moaning ha

Angel xx

huggableshelly
25-02-2009, 07:49 AM
I charge term time only children for term time only weeks, if they want a holiday place they pay for the hours they need only.

I also have 2 fulltime holiday chidlren who only come for an hour a day before school and all day in the hols so my money evens out.

Like others have said you must do what suits your financial situation, if the teachers are not happy then its their problem really not yours, dont back down if you have already placed rules there, as soon as you back down with one issue they will expect you to back down with more, and also teachers get paid for the hols so shouldnt be a big deal.

mabel
25-02-2009, 09:40 AM
I mind for two teachers, who don't pay holidays at all
hence I bump up their weekly charge!

I do feel the pinch during the holidays though

margaret
25-02-2009, 09:50 AM
i mind for teachers and they pay a higher hourly rate which covers holidays,end up actually paying the same once its worked out but they seem to prefer this.

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
25-02-2009, 11:53 AM
I still charge full fees even if it is term time only as I just could not afford it otherwise.

wendywu
25-02-2009, 12:36 PM
I charge half fees for term time only contracts.

I have RAC membership that i pay for but last year did not call them out at all, i pay for a certain amount of minutes on my mobile and i often do not use them all up. I pay so much a year on all sorts of insurance that i never claim on. This is a fact of life. Tell the parents that is the way the cookie crumbles.:(

Chimps Childminding
25-02-2009, 07:59 PM
I charge half fees for term time only contracts.

I have RAC membership that i pay for but last year did not call them out at all, i pay for a certain amount of minutes on my mobile and i often do not use them all up. I pay so much a year on all sorts of insurance that i never claim on. This is a fact of life. Tell the parents that is the way the cookie crumbles.:(

I like your reasoning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

kindredspirits
25-02-2009, 08:31 PM
i also charge full fees for holidays - parents are quite lucky i think in that we don't get any paid time off for holidays - so why the hell should they? i mean lets face it, with all the holiday clubs opening up the chances of newbies like me getting holiday work is slim, i wouldn't get out of bed for £7.50 a day which is what they charge. therefore i charge full fees for holiday times, which works out pretty well as i don't often have them anyway.

melanieabigail2004
26-02-2009, 09:55 AM
Thanks ladies

Will stick to my guns and if they don't like it they can look elsewhere at the end of the day I am not a charity!

Mel

julie w
12-05-2009, 11:25 AM
I have two sets of parents that are school teachers - neither want pay school holidays - not optional I am afraid - exactly why should I earn no money whilst they have 6 weeks off paid????

What does everyone else charge??? Do you give your parents holidays and then charge over an above.

Ta

MelHi I have 2 teacher's children. I always charge half for the holidays. However, we worked it out that they have 13 weeks holiday a years, (half rate) and 39 weeks working (full rate) So I added up 39 full weeks and 13 half rate weeks and divide by 12. She now puts the same amount in my bank every month. We agreed that if I had the odd day off (sickness or similar) or she had an extra teacher training day when I was needed, that we wouldn't quibble over the money, and just keep the payments the same. It has always worked out well.I hope this helps.

Blaze
12-05-2009, 11:32 AM
I chage a retaining fee of 50% (worked out on weekly basis) for the holidays...never had a problem!

westbrom44
12-05-2009, 12:29 PM
Hi, I have a school teacher and a college lecturer who are parents to children I care for. They both pay me all year round and neither has ever complained.

I couldnt afford not to charge them. They get paid themselves and they are supposed to be marking or planning anyway.

They both also send the children for some of the holidays to allow them to work child free. I usually have them for shorter days.

Deb
12-05-2009, 12:32 PM
I charge for termtime only but divide it over the year so that they pay me the same amount of money each month in advance, that way I am never short - if there is any variation we sort it out by cash.

Angela234
12-05-2009, 12:40 PM
I care for teachers children i charge half fees in the holidays as well but i do take my 4 weeks off in the holidays so that helps so only about 8-9 weeks also if i get any children to fill their space i either don't charge or if they have paid refund them

Ripeberry
12-05-2009, 12:41 PM
I'm doing term-time only as holidays are for my familly and hubby likes to go off at the drop of a hat as he is a manager and does not have to "book" his time off with anyone.
I'm trying to market myself as no fees to pay for holidays but even then no-one is that interested.
Shows how quiet things are :(

Andrea08
12-05-2009, 12:43 PM
I chage a retaining fee of 50% (worked out on weekly basis) for the holidays...never had a problem!

i was going to say change your wording from holiday pay to a "retainer fee" of half the normal weekly fees,, it sounds better for the parents esp if you say that if ever needed you would accomodate during some of this time.and that you will at all times do your best to take any family holidays during this time rather than when minding is needed during term times :)

let the parents think that its you doing THEM a faviour by keeping the place open as you could fill the place with a full time child wanting the full 50wks per yr and not just the 38,,

The Juggler
12-05-2009, 12:47 PM
I have done both. Previously starting out I needed to work all year round. After four years and starting a degree course and with loads of term-time children, I needed some time off in the holidays so actively sought school and teaching staff and sold myself on the fact I didn't charge holidays.

It needs to be what you are looking for at the time. If you want full-time work then charge for that if you don't and can afford the time off, then offer half rate or free for the school holidays

Good luck. LOL

FussyElmo
12-05-2009, 01:24 PM
Hi I have 2 teacher's children. I always charge half for the holidays. However, we worked it out that they have 13 weeks holiday a years, (half rate) and 39 weeks working (full rate) So I added up 39 full weeks and 13 half rate weeks and divide by 12. She now puts the same amount in my bank every month. We agreed that if I had the odd day off (sickness or similar) or she had an extra teacher training day when I was needed, that we wouldn't quibble over the money, and just keep the payments the same. It has always worked out well.I hope this helps.

I do that. My parents expected me to charge for the holidays and if you say you are under no obligation to keep their place open they might stop. Plus they can also do the vouchers which saves them money:)