PDA

View Full Version : smoke detectors

LeeAnn
24-02-2009, 05:54 PM
hi there

just looking for a bit of info. we will soon be moving house (yay!:clapping: ) and I will have to start over again with safety measures etc and risk asessments :rolleyes:

in my current rented property we have mains operated smoke detectors. we will be buying the new house (:clapping: yay) and it comes with no detectors at all , so I will have to buy some.
so my Q is, do they have to be mains operated? or will battery ones be allowed ?

I am in scotland (just in case there is a difference)

thanks

Chatterbox Childcare
24-02-2009, 06:03 PM
It will depend on your regulartry authorities so ask them.

Daftbat
24-02-2009, 06:06 PM
When i got my overnight licence i had to make sure there was a detector in the bedroom i use and they said it had to be wired in to the mains so i would think they all need to be.

sarah707
24-02-2009, 07:13 PM
I read on here the other day that a Scottish childminder has been told they must have mains wired in the not too distant future ... but sorry I can't find the thread.

I suggest you contact the SCMA and ask the question :D

LeeAnn
24-02-2009, 07:20 PM
tahnks everyone

Thanks Sarah - I will do that, I forgot I am a member of the SCMA (oops :rolleyes: )

would anyone happen to know how I would go about getting them? would I just contact an electrician?

sorry for sounding a bit thick, I never deal with tradesman as my Dad was in the building trade for many years so he is very handy and can turn his hand to everything. But he isnt registered to deal with gas heating etc or electrics. Also seeing as it is for minding purposes I guess I should have some sort of proof it has all been done properly

Pedagog
24-02-2009, 07:39 PM
Personally I would contact your local Fire Station, they will be able to offer advice.

angeldelight
27-02-2009, 07:28 AM
Just wanted to say good luck with your house move

Angel xxx