PDA

View Full Version : for all you drivers...........

Hebs
24-02-2009, 01:12 PM
do you claim the cost of having the inside of your car cleaned?

my car is scruffy from youngest mindees feet, he's just the right size to get his muddy shoes all over the backs of the seats and on the seats themselves

my car has never been so dirty :panic:

Shar
24-02-2009, 01:20 PM
Yes, I have mine valeted twice a year inside and out. Keep the reciept and put it in your accounts.:thumbsup:

sarah707
24-02-2009, 01:22 PM
There are 2 ways you can claim car costs...

1 - put through 40p per mile for petrol / deisel OR

2 - put through a % of tax, insurance, MOT, car rescue, cleaning etc.

It is my understanding that you cannot claim both.

More advice if you follow the link here -

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/bimmanual/bim52751.htm

:update: I have just spoken to my local tax office because this one was bugging me.

They say that if the car is dirtied by minded children (and of course your own family use) then it is ok to put the percentage you believe the minded children to be responsible for dirtying through your childminding accounts.

So if you use the car for half the mileage for childminding then you would put half through... etc.

I hope this clarifies and my apologies for leading anyone astray :D

Hebs
24-02-2009, 01:33 PM
i thought you could claim the cost of having it cleaned??

just like sofa/carpets

as it's seperate to the milage thing??

rickysmiths
24-02-2009, 01:38 PM
Sorry Sarah I disagree. Having the car cleaned regularly is not a capital expense nor is it maintaining the car in any way, it is like having your carpets cleaned or house windows cleaned. I put 75% of these expenses in as that is the % my car is used for childminding against family use.

hectors house
24-02-2009, 01:44 PM
Don't know either way - I thought the 40p was supposed to cover everything to do with your car, but then it is the same as hiring a carpet cleaner for the house or having them cleaned which you can claim for twice a year.

My car desperately needs valeting - was tempted to say a child was sick in car which I think should make it allowable - but then a child was sick in bed the other day and I claimed for replacing the pillow - they are never the same after you have washed them. - sorry are people still eating pancakes - I had 3 by the way!

Hebs
24-02-2009, 01:59 PM
well i'll claim 75% of the cost (although if it weren't for youngest mindee it wouldn't need doing)

if they arn't happy it can easily be removed :thumbsup:

sarah707
25-02-2009, 10:58 AM
:update: I have just spoken to my local tax office because this one was bugging me.

They say that if the car is dirtied by minded children (and of course your own family use) then it is ok to put the percentage you believe the minded children to be responsible for dirtying through your childminding accounts.

So if you use the car for half the mileage for childminding then you would put half through... etc.

I hope this clarifies and my apologies for leading anyone astray :D

peanuts
25-02-2009, 01:16 PM
thanks for the update

Hebs
25-02-2009, 02:12 PM
Thanks Sarah x

sallybrooke
26-02-2009, 09:32 AM
I always thought the hire of carpet cleaners came under wear and tear.