PDA

View Full Version : No heating in nursery.

louise
24-02-2009, 12:55 PM
Hi my sister has just called me on lunch from her placement and the heating has gone. They did have a little heater in the baby room but its now off as its a danger. My sister says it cold in there. What is the rulling on this. Apparently parents have complained.

Thanks
Louise

charleyfarley
24-02-2009, 01:00 PM
I don't know the rules but first day back after xmas hols Mitchells preschool was closed due to heating being broken. I WOULD SAY THEY have to have heating working due to health and safety or close.

Carol xx

Princess Sara
24-02-2009, 01:07 PM
I think there's a certain temp it's not aloud to fall below or they have to close. Not sure what it is though. Try HSE website for info... http://www.hse.gov.uk/

Mrs.L.C
24-02-2009, 01:31 PM
the standards do say they room children are cared for in should be at a suitable temp and if an adult is saying its cold then the children probably are aswell and the nursery should close

rickysmiths
24-02-2009, 01:51 PM
The HSE state limits for adults but not for children! :eek: So if the temperature drops below 16 degrees the adults are not allowed to work. The children are allowed to put on an extra coat!!!!! :mad:

There was a thread about this last week because someones scholl was closed this week because the heating boiler had broken down.

I guess the nursery manager has to make the call but the staff can complain if the temp has dropped below 16 degrees.

squiggle
24-02-2009, 01:56 PM
what rickysmiths has said makes me understand how a nursery i worked in got away with it.

this was a huge 150 place nursery and the heating broke over the weekend for about 4 weeks in a row. every monday was freezing and we working in jumpers, coats etc and it was never closed. it was never mentioned about sending anyone home :rolleyes:

louise
24-02-2009, 02:08 PM
Thanks. I did ask her if she looked at the temp but she had forgotten. I've asked her to check. Im really suprised as i helped her get the placement there as i knew one of the staff. My mindee who is a baby was there before i started to care for her. I hate the thought of her in the cold. I knew about the working conditons for adults as the heating was always going in the shop i worked at. The automatic doors never worked so were left open and the sea wind use to whip in. I use to go in with as many layers as possible.

Lou