PDA

View Full Version : I've only just seen this!

sarah707
01-02-2008, 05:58 PM
These are proposals only... sure we'll hear what's been decided in due course! :D

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/publications/20070041 (the last number in this is the report code, if the link doesn't work)

The main changes seem to be -

- we are now an 'early years setting'

- 'Ofsted will launch a revised SEF (self evaluation form) for early years settings will be launched in 2008. Ofsted proposes to ensure that, like schools, early years settings can complete and submit the SEF form online, if they wish'

- if you are better than 'good' you may still receive recommendations - so you can be marked as outstanding rather than good if you need to make 'minor improvements'

- if you only provide part-time care you will be judged on how well you work with other settings to ensure each child receives the full eyfs!!!!

- if you are not minding when you are inspected, you will not get satisfactory, just an ok to continue being registered

- outstanding and good will be inspected less often than satisfactory and unsatisfactory and what you put in your SEF will also be judged

buildingblocks
01-02-2008, 06:04 PM
Thanks for that Sarah

oakie dokie
01-02-2008, 06:04 PM
thank you sarah, better take a look.

hazelx

berkschick
01-02-2008, 06:34 PM
So, if I have understood this right, as I only have J for one 6 hour session a week and he is at nursery for 3 days, I would have to work with his nursery to ensure he gets the full EYFS?? He lives about 20 miles away from here ( His Mum works up the road from me) so how would I do that?? Thats crazy.:panic:

Spangles
01-02-2008, 06:45 PM
I can't even be bothered to worry about this right now. I'm getting so sick of it all, it's unbelievable!

I'm closing my ears to it (and my eyes!). La la la la! (That's me blocking out the voices! Ha ha!)

Pipsqueak
01-02-2008, 07:33 PM
I can't even be bothered to worry about this right now. I'm getting so sick of it all, it's unbelievable!

I'm closing my ears to it (and my eyes!). La la la la! (That's me blocking out the voices! Ha ha!)

Thanks Sarah

oooh I have the perfect smilie for you Lorri

Spangles
01-02-2008, 07:34 PM
Wow! That's it! Thank you Vik! It's perfect - that's exactly what I had envisaged!

Ha ha!

ajs
01-02-2008, 07:48 PM

lorri i am with you on this lalalalalalalalalala

bubbly
01-02-2008, 08:21 PM
- 'Ofsted will launch a revised SEF (self evaluation form) for early years settings will be launched in 2008.
Can I self evaluate myself as a genius? :D

This is all getting a bit much. The mum who came to visit today said all she's interested in is her kids being happy and well-cared for in a home environment. She said she'd heard about all the paperwork childminders have to do and it's crazy.

I didn't go into childminding to become a home-educator but it seems this is what we're magically supposed to transform ourselves into. Will Ofsted being paying us the salary teachers get? I think not :angry:

sarah707
01-02-2008, 10:04 PM
So, if I have understood this right, as I only have J for one 6 hour session a week and he is at nursery for 3 days, I would have to work with his nursery to ensure he gets the full EYFS?? He lives about 20 miles away from here ( His Mum works up the road from me) so how would I do that?? Thats crazy.:panic:

That's how I'm reading it, yes... it does worry me, especially with 4 and 5 year old after schoolers who don't want to do anything except veg on the sofa...!

And as far as I'm aware they haven't even sorted out what will replace the national standards for 5-8 year olds! :eek:

bubbly
02-02-2008, 12:20 AM
That's how I'm reading it, yes... it does worry me, especially with 4 and 5 year old after schoolers who don't want to do anything except veg on the sofa...!

And as far as I'm aware they haven't even sorted out what will replace the national standards for 5-8 year olds! :eek:
I'm relieved I didn't take on the child someone wanted me to have for 2 hours 2 days a week. You can't possibly implement the full EYFS in such a short space of time! Also, as Debbie's case shows, it looks like nursery children could also prove to be an EYFS nightmare.

berkschick
02-02-2008, 09:23 AM
It is totally out of order to expect me to co-ordinate with a Nursery that is 20 miles away just because I have J for 6 hours a week. They wouldnt speak to me over the phone due to data protection so I would have to make a 40 mile round trip, however often OFSTED feel I should, probably once a week to speak to them. What do I do with the mindees? I would more than likely not be able to take them in with me. If I did I would have to do a risk assesment on it! It would take about 2 hours out of my day which I would get no pay for doing. It would be 2 hours out of mindees day too where we wouldnt be implementing the other changes! What a load of rubbish! Im sorry, but I just will not be doing all this to gain £21 a week. I either wouldnt bother and risk getting in trouble or J would have to have notice which in itself goes against the very foundations of being a childminder in the first place!:angry:

As you can tell, I am slightly irritated by this!

sarah707
02-02-2008, 09:46 AM
It is totally out of order to expect me to co-ordinate with a Nursery that is 20 miles away just because I have J for 6 hours a week. They wouldnt speak to me over the phone due to data protection so I would have to make a 40 mile round trip, however often OFSTED feel I should, probably once a week to speak to them. What do I do with the mindees? I would more than likely not be able to take them in with me. If I did I would have to do a risk assesment on it! It would take about 2 hours out of my day which I would get no pay for doing. It would be 2 hours out of mindees day too where we wouldnt be implementing the other changes! What a load of rubbish! Im sorry, but I just will not be doing all this to gain £21 a week. I either wouldnt bother and risk getting in trouble or J would have to have notice which in itself goes against the very foundations of being a childminder in the first place!:angry:

As you can tell, I am slightly irritated by this!

I'm trying to think of ways round it Debbie... getting a weekly overview of learning from the Nursery (don't forget, they will have to work with us as well as us working with them)... or termly theme planning so you know what is being covered... or access to the child's learning and development goals in some way so you can see what his next steps are at nursery (with parents written permission of course)... or maybe we will all be able to talk over the phone...

I don't know but this will become even more of a problem when the 15 hours nursery care kicks in.... because parents won't have to access it all in one place! They will be able to send their child to eg. Nursery A for 3 sessions cos it fits in with their work, then Nursery B for 2 sessions because they are visiting their mum... so the child's education will be fractured anyway and we will, as minders, be working with even more settings....

Oh heck I just worried myself even more! :(

berkschick
02-02-2008, 10:04 AM
But you could have 3 kids all in differant settings!

J is at a nursery, G will be at one pre-school when she is 3 ( 2 years away yet!) and Ella will be at another because I prefer that one ( again 2 years away yet)

I doubt they will be following the same themes at the same time so I could end up doing 3 differant themes!

It doesnt make any sense. Most people who have come to see me have said they want their child to come to a childminder because they want a home from home environment. They didnt like the nursery because it is too structured. But we will be like mini nurseries ( without the nursery pay!) so the parents freedom of choice will be removed.

I totally understand that we need to have structure to our day, not allow them to sit and watch tv for the whole 10 hours and need to make light obs to show ofsted that we are doing what we should be and that the children are developing well under our care. A lot of it is common sense and things that apply to my own children anyway. But all this is crazy!

Mollymop
02-02-2008, 11:50 AM
Tut! Did my inspector yesturday really know what she was going on about, I wonder.
Regarding the- Being registered when you have no children at inspection time.
I asked her this question and she scared me a bit saying that if by the 2nd call (after about 8 months she said) you have no children Ofsted now have the power to take away your registration.
She said they didn't have that power a few months ago but they do now and if it goes on for a year, after becoming registered, they will take away registrations.:(

So really, if I am struggling to get kiddies as it is a slow period, then I have wasted all my time going on courses, etc, as they may take my reg away. Nice one OFsted.!

berkschick
02-02-2008, 11:52 AM
All you need to do is "borrow" a friends child for the inspection :laughing:

Schnakes
02-02-2008, 06:42 PM
When I worked with a child who had behaviour problems (that stemmed, IMO, massively from a nasty divorce her parents were going through) I wanted to speak to the nursery about behaviour management strategies specific to her...I wanted to know how much stimulation etc she was getting at nursery as well because she was buzzing like a mad thing after nursery...I wasnt going in on a critical note or anything...just wanted to see how we could work together to help her..

Anyway! They werent having ANY of it. Didnt want to discuss it because of "confidentiality"!!! Mum never saw nursery because I did all the drop off/pick ups...what was I supposed to do? It was very frustrating. So in a way I can see that this new standard could work.

Do you feel that the onus is on you, the childminder, to provide all this education if the child is more in nursery than in your setting? Because tbh - I wouldnt. To me, that would be a polishing of their learning skills (in that situation.). I just hope that OFSTED recognise that, unless you are accredited, then you arent registered to provide education anyway?? And I CERTAINLY wouldnt be aping the nurseries theme either!!! All my themes are based on the Birth to Three Framework (obviously this will switch to EYFS) so as far as Im concerned these kids are getting as good as I can possibly give?

Sx
PS - sorry that was a bit long and rambling!! :)

rebjay123
04-02-2008, 02:25 PM
On my last inspection, way before all this nonsense came on from OFSTED as I am due THE CALL anytime now They said 'in the new year', my paperwork was checked through,home inspected and questions asked and the inspector went off and wrote a lovely report. I have a full timer who slleps in the afternoons and if my inspection fell then would I only get an ok or if a child went home sick, on holiday etc??? even if everything else was brilliant!!!!
Several childminders who have been in the job many years in my area have given up because they are not nursery teachers, how long til we all have a set curriculum and dont do our own planning anymore. enough is enough!

sarah707
04-02-2008, 05:59 PM
Don't forget this is a consultation document! We are still waiting for finalisation of the things they are talking about...

It does look as if you would get satisfactory if you're not minding at the time of your inspection but under these new plans you would get some sort of 'fit to mind' judgement... but it's not been decided yet... :D