PDA

View Full Version : DS's?????

mushpea
23-02-2009, 06:50 PM
My kids have their own ds's which they keep upstairs as i am not happy for them to share such an expensive toy but what happens when i have a mindee that brings one. all toys that are downstairs (upstairs is unregistered) and all toys that the mindees bring are expected to be shared and parents and children know this, my thing is if you don' want to share then don't bring it here . But if the child is here or at school 5 days a week they wouldn't get to play on it much so don't really want to say no to them comming although i would probably limit how long they have on them!
Do i say yes bring it but this is the one thing that don't get shared or do i say bring it and if you want to swop games or download play then thats fine but sitck to your own ds's? i once lent my own one to a minded child who scratched the screen as she pressed to hard:eek:

what do you all do about them and those that bring them?

Pipsqueak
23-02-2009, 06:57 PM
I would write (!) that if a child wants to bring an expensive toy like that then you take no responsibility for it or will guarantee the safety of it, in the respect of it getting damaged in teh event it gets left lying around. You will provide a place/space for it to be stored (ie out of reach of young children) and all children will be instructed not to touch others property etc etc blah blah.
Children aren't allowed to take these things to after school club or into school and these places won't take responsibility for them, therefore I don't see why we should.
I know that sounds harsh perhaps but I have more than enough toys and equipment here for even older children to use and I won't be responsbile for other stuff (apart from the itsy bitsy toys the kids may bring). I provide a box for each child to store stuff in and no one else is allowed to touch any box apart from their own.

Hebs
23-02-2009, 07:00 PM
i agree

they can bring them but they share and i take NO responsibilty for it

balloon
23-02-2009, 07:01 PM
I wouldn't let a child bring such an expensive piece of equipment with them. My children don't have theirs downstairs when mindees are in either.

SimplyLucy
23-02-2009, 07:05 PM
We had a fabulous time with DS's last week.

3 mindees bought theirs, my 4 children have one each and I had mine. Mariokart on download play with 8 of us what very funny (I won, and I tried really hard!)

On one day we had a mindee who doesn't have one so she used mine. All the others helped her and showed her what to do. Was really sweet to watch them all helping each other out and sharing games.

I'm happy for mindees to bring what ever they like to my house, they all understand they have to share and their parents know my rules.

mushpea
23-02-2009, 07:11 PM
I do have a disclamier on the wall in big black bold letters stating that i take no resposibilty to loss or damage of items that are brought here.
I like the idea of having a place to put them when they are finished so litlys dont get them although i probably would have automaticly done that anyway but would be good to tell parents. just not sure on the sharing side of it

LOOPYLISA
23-02-2009, 07:16 PM

3 mindees bought theirs, my 4 children have one each and I had mine. Mariokart on download play with 8 of us what very funny (I won, and I tried really hard!)

On one day we had a mindee who doesn't have one so she used mine. All the others helped her and showed her what to do. Was really sweet to watch them all helping each other out and sharing games.

I'm happy for mindees to bring what ever they like to my house, they all understand they have to share and their parents know my rules.

We do this 3 kids on theirs and me and hubby on ours, we do talk in our house honest :D

breezy
23-02-2009, 07:28 PM

we do this too it's great how the older ones help the younger ones!

PixiePetal
23-02-2009, 07:30 PM
I have a place to put things that the children bring.

2 older mindees (8 and 10 yr siblings)who come in hols sometimes usually bring theirs, my kids have their own and I have one too - mario kart races are great fun for us all!

They and their family know they are responsible and only they use their own so no one can be moaned at for ruining someone elses.

huggableshelly
23-02-2009, 07:39 PM
I only allow ds's during school breaks and all children play their own games no swops due to anyone clearing out saved games etc.

I dont mind download play or the notebook thing (can you tell I do not have one of my own so I am pretty clueless).

The mindees are not allowed to take theirs to and from school, I do not see many parents in the morning as they drop off their own children so they would be breaking school rules if they were to carry them to and fro.

Jen4Kids
23-02-2009, 07:46 PM
Slightly off topic (sorry) but am i the only person to only have 1 ds? :laughing: There are 6 of us in our house and we only have 1 ds :blush: , we just buy games for the kids for birthday/christmas and they share the ds :D

Chatterbox Childcare
23-02-2009, 07:49 PM
My mindees bring toys but they have to be prepared to share.

A DS is a bit more than a toy I think and I would not expect them to share unless they wanted to, including games.

I also find that if children have electronic games then they are old enough to understand that they cannot be left around for little ones to touch and I give them a safe place to put them when they don't want them. They are also old enough to understand how things get broken.

PixiePetal
23-02-2009, 08:10 PM
Slightly off topic (sorry) but am i the only person to only have 1 ds? :laughing: There are 6 of us in our house and we only have 1 ds :blush: , we just buy games for the kids for birthday/christmas and they share the ds :D

We started with one for daughter and shared games but I never got a go on it so bought one with son to share with him.Then he wanted his own animal crossing game cos he liked mine . That's when son and I went halves again to get a third :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Shar
23-02-2009, 08:44 PM
Last week (half term) my mindees brought their ds's as usual. My dog managed to get hold of one of the games which I had to replace after being chewed to pieces. It was my fault as I picked up the box which contained the games and it fell on the floor. I missed picking up 1 game which the dog found. The dog is now in the DOG HOUSE!! :angry:

peanuts
23-02-2009, 10:28 PM
i have it in one of my policies that i take no responsibility for any toys that children bring/break while with me

rickysmiths
23-02-2009, 10:41 PM

Well there are only 4 of us in the house and we don't even have one!
We don't have playstation, Xbox, Wii or any other game technology.

My son saved up and bought himself a PSP a couple of years ago, because he used his own money he still has it and it stays upstairs.

Can't say any of it is missed. The mindees know we dont have them and I must say none of them has ever brought anything or asked to.

Andrea08
24-02-2009, 01:02 AM
it is a difficult one esp in the holidays and the older children are with us and our own children,
i do say if you bring such toys then you play in sons room with him and not in lounge with the babies as they could break them and i take no responsibility,
BUT after saying that one mindee did manage to break my dd laptop and i waz livid :angry: parent was not bothered and said well your insured ,,,,:eek: yes but i had to pay the first £100 out of my own pocket not the parents,,,learned a lot since then i will charge parents the excess esp with the older children that should know better while playing with expencive equipment!!!

FizzysFriends
24-02-2009, 07:58 AM
I don't allow them to bring them after school, might let them in the holiday though

helenlc
24-02-2009, 12:53 PM
My own 2 children have ds's. Not sure if mindees do as they didnt bring it last week, if they do.

I have it in my policies that children can bring things if they wish although I would try to discourage it. If it comes into my home, then it is to be shared as are all the other toys. If children do not want to share, then it stays in their (named) box in the hallway until home time.

I would probably not be too happy about such an expensive thing coming in but then as I have 3 older ones as well as my own two older children, I think they would play well on them together. But I would say the same as someone said above - no sharing games. Do the download but do not swap cartridges.

Lady Haha
24-02-2009, 06:57 PM
ah, the dreaded DS!!! It all started when mindee A brought hers, so then my son decides he wants one, which we get cheap off ebay and then they play happily alongside each other....then another day Mindee B turns up with hers, but mindee A hasn't brought hers that day, so my son and Mindee B are playing on theirs and Mindee A is left playing on her own! It just got so complicated that I had to make a rule saying NO DS's!!! Even my son is not allowed to bring his down when other children are here now!

I also included it in my monthly newsletter saying that I would prefer that children didn't bring expensive toys as they could get broken.