PDA

View Full Version : book for parents

kelly76x
01-02-2008, 03:57 PM
my first little mindee has done her first week and at the end of every day i tell mom what shes done, how shes ate ect but i was thinking of maybe putting together a book that mom can look through with activities shes done does any one do anything like this ? do you do a daily one or weekly just wondered if i ould get some ideas please thank you

sarah707
01-02-2008, 04:00 PM
I just use a simple notebook and write down what happens - how much eaten, time slept, things we have done, places we have been, anything exciting that child has done... if it's a quiet day I write more than on a busy day... :D

deeb66
01-02-2008, 04:00 PM
Hi Kelly

I fill out a daily diary sheet so that the parent has written information on what the children have eaten and about nappy changes etc.

I also update them on what the children have done that day and send home any arts and crafts that have been done.

I also take photos of the children and at the end of the year I burn a disk and give it to the parents as a memory of the year.

mamapink
01-02-2008, 04:05 PM
hi

Dee i loved the photos on a disk idea!
I am going to pinch that for when I start minding if that is ok!

thanks

xx:)

deeb66
01-02-2008, 04:15 PM
hi

Dee i loved the photos on a disk idea!
I am going to pinch that for when I start minding if that is ok!

thanks

xx:)

You are more than welcome to use that idea.

I think it is great and the parents love it because you know what it is like as a parent....you hardly ever get the camera out!

Also it helps them to see and visualise that their children really do have fun and enjoy themselves.

The only downside is that I find on average I can take over 400 pictures of each child over the year and need a lot of computer space to store them all. Fortunately I have an extra storage device so they are not slowing down my PC.

LittleMissSparkles
01-02-2008, 04:20 PM
I have a DD for C but have stopped doing it as no one bothered to read it or comment in it so I though why do I bother wasting my time on it, shouldnt think like that i no but there are other things in the day i can do instead with the kids. I have a quick chat with her instead now.

I take loads of photos need to get them printed ready for ofsted coming and put in scrap books, i bet i've got about 4oo or so since June last year need doing..... have to find 48 hors to do it no doubt !!!

deeb66
01-02-2008, 04:25 PM
I have a DD for C but have stopped doing it as no one bothered to read it or comment in it so I though why do I bother wasting my time on it, shouldnt think like that i no but there are other things in the day i can do instead with the kids. I have a quick chat with her instead now.

I take loads of photos need to get them printed ready for ofsted coming and put in scrap books, i bet i've got about 4oo or so since June last year need doing..... have to find 48 hors to do it no doubt !!!

I used to think along the same lines as you Susan but have learnt from experience that Ofsted consider it good practice and want to see a diary system in place even if it is short, sweet and to the point.

I know it can get frustrating when the parents don't read it....I am often ranting and raving to Nigel that yet again it is obvious that the parent hasn't even read it and time and time again he asks why I bother.

I quite often ask that question myself and always come up with the answer that I know I am doing the best that i can for the family and if they don't take benefit then that is their problem and not mine.

I would definately recommend that everyone completes some form of diary system.

sarah707
01-02-2008, 04:46 PM
I would definately recommend that everyone completes some form of diary system.

I totally agree Dee!

I had a malicious complaint made against me last year and Ofsted wanted to know where I'd been on certain dates and at certain times... I wasn't able to tell them... but eventually did find info from risk assessments etc.

Since then I have kept a diary every single day and I never go to bed until I have written up today's diary and put my planning outline in it for the next day.

I know some people think it is over the top but it is so important, especially in this day and age, to be able to show where you were and what you were doing on any given day with other people's children.

:D

Spangles
01-02-2008, 07:27 PM
I do a small mindee diary for the parent to read each day just with food, nappies, what we've done, achievements etc in it. I just write short notes as we go along.

Then at the end of the day I have minder diary where I put what we've done, achievements (that spelling doesn't look right!), where we went, and any notes and what the parent advised me in hand over.

My parents all read the diaries I send home but don't put comments in but by listening to what they tell me and then writing it in my diary Ofsted will still be able to see that information is flowing - that's what I think anyway!

avril
01-02-2008, 08:00 PM
Each child I look after have a daily diary which I complete as the day goes along mainly because I have a memory like a sieve and wouldn't remember myself!!:blush:
Parents to appreciate them and add comments in themselves which is helpful:clapping:

Avril :laughing: