PDA

View Full Version : Is this legal??

Bananabrain
23-02-2009, 11:01 AM
Hi guys, Just been looking on the childcare section of Netmums and there is a lady advertising for a nanny for her 2 babies.

The job is 150 pounds a week for 42 and a half hours.

Feel free to call me thick as I don't know anything about nannying,but surely this is well below minimum wage.

I know that nanny's tend to be younger ladies and that the minimum wage varies according to age,but For that much responsibility that doesn't seem right. I'm sure you could earn more cleaning floors and loos {and probably be alot less exhausted}

Does the minimum wage thing apply to nanny's? 'cos it jolly well should.

Minstrel
23-02-2009, 11:06 AM
minimum wage does apply to nannys as she would have to become their employer.

the only thing i can think of is that it includes board and meals????

huggableshelly
23-02-2009, 11:06 AM
nanny's do fall into the minimum wage thingy.

If the post is a live in post the wage can be lower but things have changed since I was a nanny so I cant make any real statments.

I was paid £90 a week but I had a grannyflat to myself and worked shorter hours. My food was included in the family's shopping, they also provided me with a car and kept it filled with petrol too.

My live out nanny job was £140 a wk but this is going back to when minimum wage was £3.20 an hour.

SimplyLucy
23-02-2009, 11:41 AM
I used to earn £150 a week when I was a live in nanny and that was 13 years ago (OMG are those babies really 13 now, I'M OLD :eek: )

I had my own lounge, kitchen, bedroom with ensuite and my main evening meal was provided by the family.

There was a second nanny that used to work 9am-4pm I used to help her out then help the mum out overnight.

Some days I used to go out 9am-4pm as techincally this wasn't my working time, however I enjoyed spending time with the babies.

I used to get Sundays off.

There were many perks to the job, spa days at the golf club while the babies went into the creche (mums idea, I was keeping her company!), we used to have a lovely lunch too!

The parents used to go to their villa in Spain for a week now and again, I stayed at home with the babies, I'd get paid £300 that week.

I'd say £150 is very low, unless it's full board and only 5 days a week expected to work.

kindredspirits
23-02-2009, 08:45 PM
can you not be a self employed nanny - a homebased carer or something? anyone would be mad to take that job. i have seen ads for people asking for childminders to look after 1 full time and 3 after school siblings and are willing to pay up to £80 per week - in your dreams!!!! :rolleyes:

Shar
23-02-2009, 08:50 PM
Most nannies that I know get £100 per day where I live, and their tax & NI paid for them by the parents. Aupairs are on £100-£150 per week (young girls who are here to learn English).

tigger
24-02-2009, 05:00 PM
I used to be a nanny and usually when people advertise a position it is the net value that is shown as the people have to pay tax an NI. It should say in the advert whether this includes accomodation but they could wait for someone to phone up and ask the question. The amount shown could also be for a newly qualified nanny.

You'd like to think though that you would be paid more than that for 42 hours wouldn't you?