PDA

View Full Version : How do you give the policies?

aly
23-02-2009, 10:41 AM
When you gie the parents a copy of your policies do you just print them and give them or do you put them in a folder for them?

Also do you give them all your policies or only the ones that wouldcover those children...ie you wouldnt give a nappy training policy to a 6yo?

Tracey1
23-02-2009, 10:55 AM
Make a folder with about you, copies of your certificate, crb, first aid ect, then copies of your policies, with an index at the front. Give this to parents when they come to visit you for a chat.

Regards Tracey

deeb66
23-02-2009, 10:56 AM
When a parent comes to visit me I quickly go over the policies but leave out the ones that is not relevant to them.

Rather than printing out my policies for each individual parent I give them a disc that has them all on. If they have difficulties or would prefer paper version then of course I o print them for them.

huggableshelly
23-02-2009, 11:01 AM
I send them home with a full copy of all policies printed out but I am considering emailing instead in the future to help cut the cost and use of paper... envirmonent etc

tulip0803
23-02-2009, 11:05 AM
The CSSIW want all us Welsh minders to give parents full copies of polices. I give them to the parents when they sign contracts - I also have a folder that they can view before. I have them already made up so they get everything. this is how the minders here have been told to give them out.

I bought some little plastic folder things from Wilkos - I have 2 different types one set are see through plastic in different colours, put papers inside, and have a swivel clip thing on the side to keep them in place. the others are clear plastic folded & you put papers inside and slide a plastic binder down the fold to hold in place. I prefer the first lot. My friend staples them into a booklet (special stapler) with a cover.

Get the parents to sign that they have recieved, read and understood your policies.:)

rickysmiths
23-02-2009, 11:09 AM
When parents have signed a contract with me I make up a folder to give them to keep with the following in:

All my policies
Copy of the permissions and Consent form they have signed
Copy of Complaints procedure
Photographs of my emergency carers their names, addresses and phone nos.
Their copy of the contract
copy of child info form they have filled in
copy of my latest Ofsted Report (we have to give this to all our parents)
copy of my Registration Cert
copy of my Public Liability Ins Cert ( I give the new one to them each year)
My brochure (even though they will have prob had one before they came to see me)
a poem about children getting dirty

a list of any holidays I have already booked (I have 25 paid days a year and notify parents by the end of Feb each year)

Training Days I have booked ( I have up to 4 paid Training days a year)

I have a sample folder made up that they can see at interview, on this copy all the documents with my reg no. on have it blocked out. Then if they want to borrow it to read at home they can.

Andrea08
23-02-2009, 11:11 AM
I have a file with all my policies and procedures and i do not let parents take this out of my setting..

just went to two nurseries for an information pk etc i was given a leaflet with information but with no policies..

if i was to copy every one of my policies for parents i would have no ink or time left to do anything else,

thats not to say if a parent wanted a policy printing i would gladly do so,

EYFS does not say we have to have all our policies and procedures in print exc. our safeguarding children policy so it is not a requirement. we do it so show good practice and quality of management,

PLEASE TELL ME IF IM WRONG AND POINT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION AND PAGE IN EYFS X X x x

andrea

tulip0803
23-02-2009, 11:30 AM
EYFS does not say we have to have all our policies and procedures in print exc. our safeguarding children policy so it is not a requirement. we do it so show good practice and quality of management,

PLEASE TELL ME IF IM WRONG AND POINT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION AND PAGE IN EYFS X X x x

andrea

Aly & I are in Wales and do not have EYFS or OFSTED. We come under CSSIW and have different standards to England.

deeb66
23-02-2009, 11:33 AM
I have a file with all my policies and procedures and i do not let parents take this out of my setting..

just went to two nurseries for an information pk etc i was given a leaflet with information but with no policies..

if i was to copy every one of my policies for parents i would have no ink or time left to do anything else,

thats not to say if a parent wanted a policy printing i would gladly do so,

andrea

You are correct but as you say it is good practice to have them

Andrea08
23-02-2009, 11:33 AM
Thanks Dee x x x x

Thanks Tulip, sorry i should have relised,

how do you think the system works for you in Whales and have you seen the EYFS? and what do you think of that?

ohh lots of questions sorry tulip x x x

tulip0803
23-02-2009, 11:53 AM
Thanks Tulip, sorry i should have relised,

how do you think the system works for you in Whales and have you seen the EYFS? and what do you think of that?

ohh lots of questions sorry tulip x x x

Wales is along the lines of the old social services registration before OFSTED. I registered in Essex with Social Services just before OFSTED took over so done both of them. They look at it from a care angle more than an education angle. Inspectors from the same office inspect the Old People's home accross the road.

We have 21 standards to work to Each with various sub-points. http://www.csiw.wales.gov.uk/docs/standards_child_mind_e.pdf if you are interested

Registration process takes ages Despite being regstered in England I had to attend a breifing session to tell me about being a childminder:rolleyes: . They debated me doing ICP again (have CCP) then had to write all policies/procedures to new standards & submit them all with applications. They do not inspect until every scrap of information has come back and then some. Took 11 months to re-register:eek: . They are very very thorough. Although under EYFS OFSTED seems to be taking as long.

I have animals and there was no fit about the dog and cats, was told their food & water bowls could stay where they are. Must have a fire guard & stair gates though.

Still good practice to show planning obs etc but not presciptive. Purely from interest I have the EYFS documents only glanced at them though. Hot on parents feedback. They ask parents for feedback before inspections. They can inspect any paperwork, contracts, record forms, accounts etc. Until a couple of years ago they wanted a financial statement from the bank before you could be registered:eek: .

In Wales we have the Foundation Phase for 3-7 year olds which started in Sept but it is not compulsary for childminders although good practice. Learning Through Play is the hot words. Investigation and allowing children to follow their own thoughts and make their own choices ( very High/Scope prev had training through them). Outdoors as much as possible etc etc

They are looking at reviseing some standards and have just had a consultation but it will be no-where near like changing to EYFS. OFSTED equivilant is ESTYN which inspect schools & nurseries offering the free places at 3. Local school takes children from the term of their 4th birthday full-time.

rickysmiths
23-02-2009, 12:19 PM
Wales is along the lines of the old social services registration before OFSTED. I registered in Essex with Social Services just before OFSTED took over so done both of them. They look at it from a care angle more than an education angle. Inspectors from the same office inspect the Old People's home accross the road.

We have 21 standards to work to Each with various sub-points. http://www.csiw.wales.gov.uk/docs/standards_child_mind_e.pdf if you are interested

Registration process takes ages Despite being regstered in England I had to attend a breifing session to tell me about being a childminder:rolleyes: . They debated me doing ICP again (have CCP) then had to write all policies/procedures to new standards & submit them all with applications. They do not inspect until every scrap of information has come back and then some. Took 11 months to re-register:eek: . They are very very thorough. Although under EYFS OFSTED seems to be taking as long.

I have animals and there was no fit about the dog and cats, was told their food & water bowls could stay where they are. Must have a fire guard & stair gates though.

Still good practice to show planning obs etc but not presciptive. Purely from interest I have the EYFS documents only glanced at them though. Hot on parents feedback. They ask parents for feedback before inspections. They can inspect any paperwork, contracts, record forms, accounts etc. Until a couple of years ago they wanted a financial statement from the bank before you could be registered:eek: .

In Wales we have the Foundation Phase for 3-7 year olds which started in Sept but it is not compulsary for childminders although good practice. Learning Through Play is the hot words. Investigation and allowing children to follow their own thoughts and make their own choices ( very High/Scope prev had training through them). Outdoors as much as possible etc etc

They are looking at reviseing some standards and have just had a consultation but it will be no-where near like changing to EYFS. OFSTED equivilant is ESTYN which inspect schools & nurseries offering the free places at 3. Local school takes children from the term of their 4th birthday full-time.

This all sounds good. I wish we could go back to the care aspect. One thing does surprise me though them seeing your accounts. Here they may ask to see evidence that you are registered with the inland revenue but our fees, holidays charges and accounts are none of their business and I would not show an inspector my accounts!!!:eek:

Andrea08
23-02-2009, 12:23 PM
wow quick reply Tulip many thanks and well put..
sounds simular as EYFS as in play and outside play shocked it took so long to register esp as you were a cm ere under the english social service inspection..

its gr8 you are here and still advising us xxx

manjay
23-02-2009, 12:25 PM
I am always glad when Tulip answers a post before me. It saves me loads of writing:laughing:

Andrea08
23-02-2009, 12:28 PM
This all sounds good. I wish we could go back to the care aspect. One thing does surprise me though them seeing your accounts. Here they may ask to see evidence that you are registered with the inland revenue but our fees, holidays charges and accounts are none of their business and I would not show an inspector my accounts!!!:eek:

i agree its a bit personal and do they look at fees and make a judgement from that? ,,,eg...this cm charges £3 hr but has x2 full time children thats,,£6 hr income how much do you spend on each child per day on food , outings,,etc etc NO i agree thats all a personal and some wks i spend more than others eg i went to a carboot sale yesterday and spent more for te mindees than myself lol x

Andrea08
23-02-2009, 12:29 PM
:ROFL1: :ROFL1: :ROFL1:
I am always glad when Tulip answers a post before me. It saves me loads of writing:laughing:

ROFL1: :ROFL1: :ROFL1:

manjay
23-02-2009, 12:32 PM
One of the standards is Financial procedures and it does say that financial records have to be available if requested. My inspector has never asked to see mine and wouldn't think it is something that is high on their agenda

tulip0803
23-02-2009, 02:09 PM

:laughing: :laughing:

As Manjay says it's a CAN inspect situation. If they ask you show. But they are more interested in the care you are giving than you financial records:D

Chatterbox Childcare
23-02-2009, 02:24 PM
I am saving trees and not printing anything. I have all my policies in one folder which I show the parents and advise that if they want them I will print them - so far no one has asked for them.

I have one letter from the parents to myself signed saying that they have read and are happy with the policies - all policies are listed with their version number.

rickysmiths
23-02-2009, 02:24 PM
Our old standards included something similar but all we had to show was that we were registered with inland rev and N.I.

That we give reciepts and keep records I flicked through my green accounts book so she could see I had filled it in but no way would I show any inspector any detailed accounts of mine or my families it is NONE of their business how much I am paid, by whom or to see my accounts. Anyway my accounts include details of another of my busineses so definately no.

Chatterbox Childcare
23-02-2009, 02:29 PM
Our old standards included something similar but all we had to show was that we were registered with inland rev and N.I.

That we give reciepts and keep records I flicked through my green accounts book so she could see I had filled it in but no way would I show any inspector any detailed accounts of mine or my families it is NONE of their business how much I am paid, by whom or to see my accounts. Anyway my accounts include details of another of my busineses so definately no.

I am not even showing Ofsted my account book. They can see the attendance register and that is it - if they persisted I would ask to see their P60 from last year - think not!

Andrea08
23-02-2009, 05:04 PM
I am not even showing Ofsted my account book. They can see the attendance register and that is it - if they persisted I would ask to see their P60 from last year - think not!

PMSL :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

aly
23-02-2009, 05:15 PM
[/color]

PMSL :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
lmao

thanks julia, its always nice from someone elses perspective...id fumble it up lol.

DCS
24-02-2009, 09:27 PM
They sign a hard copy for my records. I email them a pdf version

Jen4Kids
25-02-2009, 01:05 PM
When i had my pre-reg visit yesterday, she wss really impressed with putting the policies onto a disc :D

Another of the thousand of idesa ive got from you lovely ladies :clapping: :happy banana: