PDA

View Full Version : Mileage questions please

aly
23-02-2009, 10:09 AM
1) How do you keep a not eof them...do you have a 'notebook' or similar to record mileage?
2) If I take minded children to 1school and my children to another school, do I only record the mindees school on mileage or both?
3) I went out the other day to get stuff for myself and also for cm'ing.....do I claim half of the journey for this?

I'm sure there was another question but forgot :rolleyes:

thanks

Tracey1
23-02-2009, 10:58 AM
Hiya

Just claim for the mileage that you are doing as a childminder, if you are going out to one place with the children, then doing something for yourself, just half the mileage. I think it is 44p to the mile. check the inland rev site, it will say about business mileage there.

Regards Tracey

tulip0803
23-02-2009, 11:16 AM
Mileage is 40p a mile and it is for return journey, so mileage there & back. I only claim if I am specially making a trip for childminding - if I pick up bits when I am shopping at Morrisons I don't claim. BUT I am sure I have read somewhere that you can claim half. I use a monthly mileage log that I made up to log as well as putting them in accounts.

rickysmiths
23-02-2009, 12:35 PM
Oh I claim for eveything, trips to the supermarket certainly once a week ( £96 per year) trip to the bank once a week to pay in my cheques and cash (£72 per year). School, pre school, that means 4 trips a go there and back twice.

Yes 40p a mile. I note it down in my diary if it is a different trip. Then they are all put in my accounts book once a week.

karenandsmile
23-02-2009, 04:57 PM
an easy way to do it is to record your regular milage for one week term time only then times it by how many term time only weeks as most of the time its the same school every day same mother and toddlers and same shopping, however when it comes to school holidays and its different places everday you will have to record it any other unusal trips you do in term time just make a note add it all up every month then enter that amount onto your acounts its 40p a mile thats the easiest way for me

Chatterbox Childcare
23-02-2009, 05:59 PM
Firstly you need to find a system to record your business miles. You cannot do an average and if the IR inspect your records they want to do the journey that you have written down and if it isn't correct they can disallow anything you have claimed.

I record mine in my diary each day and then put the total into a spreadsheet that I have written which calculates all business and personal mileage. If you would like a copy of this please pm me.

I record anything I do for childminding regardless of whether I am going for myself. i.e. I go to Morrisons for milk for the childrens breakfast but buy things for my family too. I claim the mileage there and back.

As for school mileage - you can only claim for the minded children - i.e. to their school and back each day

aly
23-02-2009, 10:34 PM
thanks all that helps.

does anyone have a copy of their log I can 'adapt' for myself please:cool:

hectors house
24-02-2009, 10:59 AM
I keep a notebook in the car - I write the date and mileage down each morning and where we are going - if I have childminding children in the car, I claim all of it - most trips you do can be classed as learning experiences for the children -

I take the dog out every afternoon for a walk and I can't access the fields near my house with a pushchair so we generally have to drive a couple of miles to get to a Country park with paths for pushchairs- my attitude is if I didn't childmind I could take the dog out locally but because I do I have no choice to use the car - we make it into a fun, learning activity.

I live such a sad life that most of my trips out in the evening are for training courses and we mostly use my husbands car at the weekend so I don't have to keep taking car seats out. If I do any private mileage I make a note of it in the book and deduct it - from the weekly total then multiply by 40p - generally £30 a week, so worth claiming. The 40p a mile covers every expense you have with your car - I didn't used to have breakdown cover - took it out because of childminding but the tax office said I couldn't claim as extra expense as included in 40p mileage!

DCS
24-02-2009, 09:26 PM
the correct way is to keep a note of biz and personal miles. At the end of your first year of trading, calculate your biz miles as a % of total miles. In subsequent years, providing you don't dispose of the car in question, you continue to use the biz %.

If you get a new car, you have to keep a note of biz and personal all over again,

If you go the 40pence per mile route, you still need to keep a note of milage in first yr to asertain biz miles

Ps, I have a degree in accounting and investment so know what I'm talking about:p

aly
24-02-2009, 11:44 PM
the correct way is to keep a note of biz and personal miles. At the end of your first year of trading, calculate your biz miles as a % of total miles. In subsequent years, providing you don't dispose of the car in question, you continue to use the biz %.

If you get a new car, you have to keep a note of biz and personal all over again,

If you go the 40pence per mile route, you still need to keep a note of milage in first yr to asertain biz miles

Ps, I have a degree in accounting and investment so know what I'm talking about:p
I've just bought the car {for childminding}