PDA

View Full Version : Running out of children!

Ripeberry
22-02-2009, 05:59 PM
Don't know about your area, but around here (countryside) there are not enough children for the primary schools! My daughter's primary is only half-full, the next school down the road has only 20 kids!
The pre-school is hardly full and the after-school club has to taxi kids in for about 5 different schools just to get enough to run the sessions, but the parents don't want to pay anymore for the taxi's!
Hardly any childminders are full and it's just WHERE ARE THE KIDS?
But then you go 8 miles down the road and the schools are oversubscribed the childminders are turning people away and there is no room in the afterschool clubs.
My area is not very posh, lots of social housing, just happens to be in the countryside.
So my question is, the childminders who are always full do they live in cities or towns and the ones that are struggling is it because of our geography?

Twinkles
22-02-2009, 06:09 PM
I am full and still get several enquiries. I live in a town about half way between London and Brighton. I imagine it is a lot harder in more rural areas.
Our local schools are always over subscribed - in fact last year one of the local primary schools had to add a portacabin classroom to create enough spaces.

childminder54
22-02-2009, 06:24 PM
no we are not getting the calls a freind who is a childminder for some time is looking for another job no children and husband made redundance.. i will only have one part timer and one at school starting to panic.. nurserys are full?? not been this bad for 18 years..

veronicaxx

singlewiththree
22-02-2009, 06:32 PM
Well here they are shutting two local schools and turning a different one into a "super school" with 500 places. Its not that there is a particular shortage of babies now but 3 years ago there were so don't know where they are going to put all these babies when they get to school age!